We need to make a decision.

vlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time poster.

We have a little black and white moggy called Suzy. When we got her from a rehoming centre she was 12, which would make her 15 now. Last tuesday, she started limping, and so we took her to the vet. She has a tumour in her hind leg that has eaten through one bone and is about half way through the main tibia. The vet thinks that is would be 'the kindest thing to do' to have her put to sleep. He was of this opinion right from the start even before the x-ray. My girlfriend and I are having a great deal of difficulty coming to terms with this.

In general, Suzy is a gentle happy little soul. Her eyes still twinkle, her coat is glossy and she is keeping herself clean and using the litter tray. Oddly enough since coming back from the vet she has stopped being fussy and is eating like a horse! Apart from the limp she is fine. Should we have the leg amputated? Having read about this, many prople are of the opinion that old cats adapt well to the loss of a limb. Neither of us want to put her through too much, but I was a little concerned that the vet was talking about putting her to sleep even before the x-ray.

Suzy has an ongoing overactive thyroid problem and teeth aches from time to time. She also has a heart murmour.

So many issues. Would we be doing this for us or her? Are we condemning her to death without raising a finger to help? I could not stand to see her go if there was a chance of helping her without causing her to much suffering. I have been trying to come to terms with this, but I have this nagging feeling of betrayal in the back of my brain, hence writing this 2.30 in the morning. The tumour has come on pretty quickly. It is around the top of her leg in a ring, and it is now noticeable from the outside all in the space of a week! Neither my girlfriend or me have had to make this choice before, and it is the hardest thing to do. I work in sales, and it gives you this sixth sense when you are dealing with others that registers things about them. I am feeling uneasy about the vet. This is why I am asking other cat-slaves out there to help me work though the choice as to what to do. What would you do? Thanks for any replies.

kim36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry about Suzy, it's hard to make these decisions, and i am certainly in no position to give you any advice other than to tell you to listen to your heart and do what is best for her like i know you will...keep us posted and keep talking about your kitty...this site is full of supportive people and i'm sure you will get some great advice...take care, give suzy some hugs and love!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you must make this difficult decision. It is never easy. It also never hurts to have a second opinion. I had one vet tell me several years ago that I should have my now 17 year old cat down. I took him to a second one that said I just needed to do some things different to care for him.
I wish you the best in this. Just from reading your post, I know you will do what is best for Suzy. She sounds like a wonderful girl.

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First off, I am very sorry to hear about your kitty. I know it's very hard for you to make a decision such as this. What I can tell you is that I work at a vet office and I know when an animal is older we only put them under for surgery if absolutely necessary. Also, if putting her under, her heart murmur comes into play. Depending on it's severity, it could be a risk putting her under.

Bone cancer is pretty bad in animals and if it has come on pretty quickly like you said you really have to do the pros and cons of having her leg amputated. She's older, with a thyroid and heart condition. And please don't think I'm saying this to make you decide to put her down.. I'm not. I'm just trying to think of her best interests. You just have to determine her quality of life at this point and if you think the surgery and recovery is something you want to put her through.

And like the other two posters said.. it certainly never hurts to get a second opinion. Go to another vet and see what they recommend.

I hope Suzy is feeling well and you decide the best thing for her. It's obvious she is loved and cared for very much and you only want the best for her.

Please let us know how she is doing, I will be keeping her in my thoughts.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our dog had osteosarcoma. Like your Suzy, he acted normal other than the limp. My parents did not feel that amputation was a good option for him, because of his personality and the likelihood that it would not extend his life. With your kitty, you need to consider whether surgery is worth the risk of having her put under anesthesia. (My senior, hyperthyroid kitty with a heart murmur needed a biopsy last month. It was very hard for me on the day of the surgery, waiting to see if he would make it through. He came through with flying colors, and the biopsy came back negative, thank goodness, but it was a risky situation).

Keep in mind that death is part of life, so you are not condemning her to something that will happen regardless of what action you take. With my parents' dog, we spent extra time with him and kept him comfortable for a month or two. During that time, the cancer spread, and he began to have trouble breathing. The day we had him put to sleep, he had fallen and hurt the leg with the tumor. We decided that it was time to end his suffering.

Whatever decision you make, make it from your heart. Our feline and canine companions know that we love them and trust us to act in their best interests. Do what you think will help your Suzy suffer the least, and prepare yourself for the day when you have to do the most difficult thing for you in order to spare her pain. Best of luck to you, your partner, and Suzy.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another consideration you might want to see about to help you with your decision. Did the vet identify what type of cancer it is? Does he think it has spread? Has he done an x-ray to identify if there are other affected areas. If it turns out that the cancer isn't just in the one spot on the leg then it becomes an easier choice to make. If the cancer is one that is known to be very aggressive and doesn't respond well to treatment, you might want to see if you can get an estimate on how much more time aputation will buy for Suzy. How large an area will he have to amputate to ensure he gets all of it - the current recommendation I believe is at least 1" all around. Since it has nearly eaten through the bone, how much pain is she in? Can it be managed with painkillers until such times as her quality of life is definitely compromised?

I think these are the questions I would be pursuing at this time prior to making any irrevocable decision. Once I had more information, the decision might become more apparent. It may be to put her to sleep now . . . or it may be to put her to sleep in a few months to a year . . . or it may mean to amputate and see what happens.

This is a very challenging situation to be in and I wish you and Suzy the very best in finding out what is the best decision that is right for what Suzy is facing.

Kathryn

navdoc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have always preached to consider the quality of life of the cat vice what your feelings are at the time. I know you will miss Suzy whenever she passes but please think of her quality of life if you keep her going. I cannot tell you what you should do, but we have hade to put our Spencer down recently to kidney issues. We decided no matter what we did, his kidneys wer NOT going to get any better. It was the best thing to do for HIM vice our feelings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, we got a second opinion today. This vet was much more sympathetic than the first. He thinks that the trauma she will have to go through will not justify any extension in her lifespan, and her quality of life must come first. He also thinks that the cancer will probably spread. If the bone gives way it will fracture. She will be in huge amounts of pain, and her life will end like that. Neither of us want that to happen, so on thursday we are going to do the right thing by her.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vlad I am sorry, but I think you are indeed doing right by her. We had one of our cat's legs amputated in September. There have been numerous problems as a result of the accident, not of the amputation, and at times we wonder if asking her to survive being hit by a car was to much to ask of her. Another rescue we had a few years ago we had euthanized because of cancer. She was riddled with it, and had already survived being nearly drowned. We were told that with chemo and drugs we could buy her 2-3 years tops, we opted to let her go. figuring she already had the market on suffering already because of her experience as a young kitten-

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry
I know it wasn't an easy decicion to make but it is the right one for Suzy. Youll be in my thought all week and on Thurday.

vlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here I am, a grown man of nearly 30. A company director. Crying my heart out for a little black and white bundle of fur. It is amazing how much a little cat can mean to you....

I have decided to post a picture of her, which I think is the best one. If you would like to see others, have a look at the website they are hosted on (my own) by simply going to the parent directory on the address bar. There are two directories full of pictures of her antics, including the showdown with the black kitty from up the road here and general madness with especially amusing cake scoffing.

Here is the best picture:

Please send her hugs to help her on her way. I have to go to bed now. I can't stand feeling so desolate.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always hard to lose someone you love. Please allow yourself the time and space you need to grieve for her. There is a poem that is often posted in a group I belong to when someone loses a beloved family member:

"Farewell, Master, yet not farewell.
Where I go, ye too shall dwell.
I am gone before your face,
A moment's time, a little space.
When ye come where I have stepped
Ye will wonder why ye wept."

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw she is so beautiful Vlad. I am so very sorry for your loss. Most of us know how hard it is to lose one of our furkids. My Merry died last year and I still cry for him. The pain is lessened now and I know he is in a better place. I take comfort in knowing that he is still here with me in some way. In my every memory and picture and thought.
Suzy will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you. I hope she and Merry can wait for us together.

Dev & Crew

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing her picture. She is a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vlad, she is a gorgeous love indeed. And that which she is physically is failing. But who she is, and the love you both have shared - well, that is not failing, and indeed cannot ever fail. It is lodged deep in your heart, and will live there, forever. You will always have her near you...for how much nearer can she be then tucked into your heart and soul?

There is no shame to cry, to grieve, to mourn. No shame whatsoever. It tells me that your capacity for love is endless, as is Suzy's. It tells me your responsability to make hard choices is not taken lightly, and is a considered, selfless decision. And it tells me that her journey to the Rainbow Bridge will be a safe, loving, and gentle one. And how much does that mean to her? More than words can say.

One of the toughest decisions was to put one of mine down. It was so desperately hard, but it was indeed the right thing. I am sending Suzy lots of love, and indeed have asked that my Rainbow Bridge cats meet her and show her the ropes...and I am sending you some love, and some hugs too...because while this is indeed the right thing, it is not easy; it can be made easier knowing you're not alone, and that you're doing the right thing. And so that's my prayer; that while you grieve and mourn and feel the sorrow, that you also realize you're doing the right thing, and in time, you will come to know the comfort of that knowlegde.

Blessed be, Vlad. To you, yours and to Suzy, blessed be.

Best-
Michele

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, but that's life, I suppose. Suzy is obviously a very important part of your life, and will continue to be, even though she won't be physically present. She'll continue on in your heart and memories, and some day you'll be reunited. My condolences.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First off, let me tell you, that while posting this message to you, I have tears in my own eyes! I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope that you realize you did the best thing for her. She didnt deserve to suffer. I think that the Psalm of David is kind of fitting "....he leadeth me to lie down in green pastures...."
Please know that I am so terribly sorry for your loss, and I hope that you can find some comfort in the fact that she knew she was loved and she was not suffering and it wasnt a traumatic death for her.
I hope that you give yourself time to grieve, and maybe in the months to come can bring yourself to maybe give an unfortunate kitten a loving home with you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! This is a touching story... it brought tears to my eyes. I am so very sorry for you and for Suzy! She is a beautiful cat, and you are doing the right thing by ending her suffering. It will be so hard, but one day, she'll thank-you for it. One day, you'll see her again. One day, you'll watch her leap and play. One day, you'll see her smile again. One day......

Though you may be losing a friend, you are gaining a comfort; a comfort for dear Suzy.
You are doing the right thing, by ending her pain.
And when she is gone, for her, it will be a great gain.
And though the loss may be hard, you are doing her a favor.
You're giving her her life back. Giving her life more flavor.
Though she's gone, where you can't see, she'll be in great gradeur.
On that day when you're so sad, she'll walk through a golden door!

May you leave this world happy and free! Rest In Peace, Dear Sweet Suzy!

God Bless You And Your Family through these hard times! You are certainly in my prayers!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very beautiful.
i'll keep you & your family in my prayers. i, too, was typing thru tears...

vlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the lovely replies.

Well, it is the last day. Both of us took a half day off work and all of tomorrow. We have been feeding our little girl-cat with all sorts of treats from turkey to ham to steak. I keep thinking about what is going to happen. We have asked the vet to come round to see us, that way she will be in her home surrounded by our love. It will be all I can do not to knock the syringe out of the vet's hand. I want to gather her up in my coat and run away with her.....but you can't run away from yourself.

I will come home from work on friday to an empty house. No little paws and no welcoming mew. That realisation is the worst thing of all, being alone.