We need some Good Vibrations for Bodi

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our wonderful 17 year old Bodi started drinking about a quart of water a week a few weeks ago. We got her to the vet, suspecting diabetes. Yesterday, we found out that she's in chronic kidney failure. Her serum creatinine is 8.5 and she's lost weight because her appetite is very poor.

The vet gave us low-protein kidney diet food, which Bodi doesn't like very much, so, after spending over a month switching her from Fancy Feast to premium foods, we went out and bought her Fancy Feast again today to tempt her to eat. Thankfully, it seems to be working.

We'll be going to the vet this week to learn how to administer hydration with a large-bore needle, subcutaneously, every other day at home. The vet's hoping that the additional fluid will carry more toxins (BUN and creatinine) out with it and return the serum values to normal or near normal. She had a pt. survive a year this way. We hope that lower serum values will increase her appetite and then we can start her on the low-protein food.

Interestingly (or not) my husband and I just finished going through his kidney failure from diabetes, which ended with a transplant in September 2003. We feel like we know so much about this -- kitty reference ranges are close to human for both BUN and creatinine. The sort of funny thing is that as my husbands serum values climbed, the docs said that most patients feel a lot worse -- loss of appetite, fatigue, etc. -- than he did; Bodi is much better shape than many of the cats that her vet sees with an 8.5 creatinine value, so I say that Bodi must get her constitution from her daddy!

Please send prayers, good vibrations, or healing thoughts (whatever you're comfortable with) our way.

Thank you so much
Bodi's mommy

Here's an old pic of our girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Good vibes, healing thoughts and prayers for Bodi and her human family from our family.
Thank you very much, Yosemite

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bodi
Get well ...

do you have some kitty caviear ... I often use it with my crf kitty to entice meal time

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty gets well soon. Also, maybe some meat-flavored baby food will entice her to eat. My cats can't resist it.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes for your older gal. Have you asked the vet about appetite stimulants, like cyproheptadine? I keep some on hand in case my old boy decides to refuse food, which he does on occasion.

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Sending good vibrations to Bodi and her family*
I will keep all of you in my thoughts.

kbak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isn't it funny how things work out. Basically you have all this experience with kidney failure, who better to take care of Bodi? With your wonderful care Bodi should have many , many day's ahead. Prayer's for Bodi and family.

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Bodi
Get well ...

do you have some kitty caviear ... I often use it with my crf kitty to entice meal time
What is kitty caviear?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my!! When I read your thread about Bodi, I choked up so much because your cat is just like my Max. I lost him to acute renal failure in July. We had no idea what happened to him. The vet actually said he had signs of acute and chronic. Anyway, I will pray for you and your cat. I know what you are going through is hard. God bless.

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
everyone for your support. Bodi just meowed her thanks as well and we're all so happy today that she seems more energetic.
She just had 5 fingerfuls of Fancy Feast from her father's fingers. (say that five times fast)
We're home with her and I don't want to go back to work tomorrow and not be able to tend her.

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Sending good vibes for your older gal. Have you asked the vet about appetite stimulants, like cyproheptadine? I keep some on hand in case my old boy decides to refuse food, which he does on occasion.

I will ask the vet about it. Thank you so much.

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

Oh my!! When I read your thread about Bodi, I choked up so much because your cat is just like my Max. I lost him to acute renal failure in July. We had no idea what happened to him. The vet actually said he had signs of acute and chronic. Anyway, I will pray for you and your cat. I know what you are going through is hard. God bless.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my last cat, Sammy, in 1999 and it took me forever to stop bursting into tears constantly. We've had Bodi since April of 2003, and I can't imagine our life without her now.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capecodcatmom

what, if anything, I can try adding to Bodi's water to make her drink?
Hello,

First just want to send best wishes to your girl, this is a road I've travelled with one of my kitties, who has had crf for over 3 years now.

I can not sing enough praises of this site http://www.felinecrf.org It is a deep site - take the time to drill down through all the layers. It addresses every issue a crf kitty (and related health issues that may come with this or be found at the same time) may have.

I also highly recommend checking out these two pages:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dryfood.htm and
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm though there are links on both to an updated version, I still use the old one as I believe some of it is still accurate. Patrick refused to eat his prescription food, so for the past 3 years, I've chosen his foods (except for times when it was "get him to eat, just get him to eat") by the phosphorus content, choosing those under 1 (which does include a few of the Fancy Feast!).

For increased water intake, try getting a water fountain for pets, this seems to work well for some.

I'd also encourage your joining the support group that I belong to, which has been invaluable for me and for Patrick, a related group to this list/group is the one for folks using calcitriol (a med described on the site I gave a link to for overall info) which I am convinced has been a godsend for my fellow.

I wish you all the best and give you the "mantra" of this list - you treat the cat, not the numbers.

ps things that go along with the crf that can be affecting her appetite and be treated, are nausea/stomach acid, and constipation...both are addressed in the info site I listed.

hth,