We need some Good Vibrations for Bodi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the links, Pat & Alix. I've been over there reading.
Fortunately, Bodi's calcium and phosphorous levels are normal, as is her RBC, so even tho her creatinine is 8.5, it seems we caught it early.

In humans, elevated phosphorous levels cause the body to get calcium from the bones to maintain a certain ratio in the blood. Do you know if this is true of kitties as well?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capecodcatmom

Thank you so much for the links, Pat & Alix. I've been over there reading.
Fortunately, Bodi's calcium and phosphorous levels are normal, as is her RBC, so even tho her creatinine is 8.5, it seems we caught it early.

In humans, elevated phosphorous levels cause the body to get calcium from the bones to maintain a certain ratio in the blood. Do you know if this is true of kitties as well?
I hope one of our vet techs on the board will comment, but I do believe it works the same for kitties. Keeping phos and calcium levels within normal is an important goal (along with keeping potassium up and hemaglobin/hematocrit).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capecodcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hello,

I'd also encourage your joining the support group that I belong to, which has been invaluable for me and for Patrick, a related group to this list/group is the one for folks using calcitriol (a med described on the site I gave a link to for overall info) which I am convinced has been a godsend for my fellow.

hth,
Where can I find a link to a support group/board?
Thanks

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by capecodcatmom

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my last cat, Sammy, in 1999 and it took me forever to stop bursting into tears constantly. We've had Bodi since April of 2003, and I can't imagine our life without her now.
Keep us posted how Bodi is doing. I know it is hard. Max was twelve years old and I had him eleven of his twelve years. He was my sweetheart.
I hope Bodi will hang on and you will have some more time with her. She sure looks like Max.

meower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats with CRF and both liked different kidney diet foods. There are a few different kidney diet foods out on the market. One of my cats liked the chunky wet food and the other liked the fine textured wet food. I also had to switch them over from fancy feast so I know it can be difficult. Both of my cats seemed to like the IVD Modified formula dried food.
With the IV fluids every other day, kidney diet food, and a few medications, you can hopefully have your kitty with you for many more years.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thoughts & vibes for Bodi. My Smokey died of CRF a little over 2 years ago. It was a very difficult 2 year journey, but I wouldn't trade a moment of those 2 years. It's good you caught it early, I'm just sorry to hear you have to go through this.