We had touching!!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought Spence and Katie home at the end of January. It's taken Abby a while to warm up to them. She doesn't stalk them or beat them up, but she sure lets them know who is the boss!

Earlier today while I was in the bathroom, Katie came into the hallway and was laying along the wall outside the bathroom door. Abby came to get some pets and a fresh drink of cold water from the bowl that I refill everytime I'm in the bathroom.

Katie wormed her way over and was stretching her front legs towards Abby and the bowl and eventually was touching the bowl of water like she usually does.

Abby stopped drinking, sat down and glared down at Katie, who rolled over onto her back, exposing her full tummy to Abby, with her front legs curled and looked up at Abby as if to say "I'm so cute! Please don't hurt me." lol

Abby pounced on her, but there was no hissing or screaming. Katie kind of leaped back and then rolled over against the wall so she was on her back with her tummy fully exposed, but she was also posed to swat back if the need arose.

Abby sat there glaring down at Katie and Katie glared back, and Abby pounced, Katie batted and they ran off with Abby chasing Katie for about 5 feet.

Just now I was getting up from the bed to go to the bathroom and get something to drink. I sat up on the side of the bed at the middle and saw a grey cat at the foot. I couldn't tell if it was Spencer or Katie until I touched. It was Katie.

I sat there for a few minutes giving her ear scritches and chin rubs and then Abby jumped up on the bed from the opposite side. She came over and laid right next to me against my leg.

I had my right arm resting along her back while I rubbed her head and ears, and periodically I would reach over and give Katie scritches with the same hand. They were maybe 1 foot apart at this point.

After a couple of minutes I gently pulled Katie over a little and continued petting both girls. Little by little I moved Katie closer to Abby.

I got them side by side!! Katie even put her front leg on Abby and Abby didn't seem to mind. All the while I was talking quietly to them, telling Abby it was ok, and petting them both.

Both were purring up a storm, and Abby was enjoying her scritches big time because she was drooling like she usually does when into a serious cuddle episode. Katie also drools!

Abby didn't make any move to approach Katie, but I'm hopeful! This is the closest they've ever been!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww doesn't that warm your heart when you see progress like that!!
Now that this has happened Linda it can only get better, because Abby will begin to realise that their not a threat after all

If Abby gives them the odd head bop just let her, don't say anything, because they have to know she's still alpha cat. This is what i'm doing with Rosie and Jack. Although she's cuddling with him and washing him again, she sometimes bops him on the head for no reason, then he lies down like a naughty boy. It's awful seeing him do that, but at least he knows not to mess with her

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Touching is always good!
It takes time and so much patience....sounds like things are starting to come around.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's so great to hear!!
I hope they continue their progress. I'm sure it really helped a lot that you were right there petting Abby and talking the whole time. Maybe you'll get a kitty pile soon!!

Genever is like Katie, she will flop over near Dorothy, showing her belly, arms raised and ready to swat if necessary. It's almost like defensive fighting, if it comes to fighting, usually doesn't get that far though. I don't know. It's weird. I still haven't figured out who's boss yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still so excited!

I think progress with Abby and Katie is being made because Katie rolls over on to her back if Abby pulls her "I'm Queen!" attitude, while Spencer doesn't. He just lays there or pulls back slightly, but he never rolls over onto his back exposing his tummy.

But at the same time, Abby is now letting Spencer lay near her (about a foot away) on the table like she does with Katie. Only Katie seems to be allowed to get a wee bit closer than Spencer can right now.

Spencer is such a love and a very mild mannered cat, so I don't think Abby has any cause for concern about her Alpha status being upset by Spencer. Which is good, because it was the thing I worried most about when bringing home another cat after Chynna died.