WBCL vs Chicken Crumbles Test - pic heavy

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best Cat Litter and really like it. But, it is freaking expensive. A few people in these forums have said they use "chicken crumbles" as a less
expensive but similar alternative to WBCL. I've wondering for some time about how these chicken crumbles would perform. With 4 cats I would love to find something that is as good or almost as good but that isn't so expensive.

I thought I'd do some testing and document my results to share with others who might be thinking of trying chicken crumbles.

Products tested:

World's Best Cat Litter (WBCL), $1.18 lb
Lone Star All Mash Crumbles (LS) $0.24 lb
Purina Layena Crumbles (PL) $0.24 lb

Note: Chicken crumbles are chicken feed pellets that have been smashed into "crumbles". Mash crumbles are crumbles that have been smashed into a finer texture.

Texture wise the LS and PL were both close to the texture of WBCL with the LS being a little closer in texture.

Both the LS and PL were both a little dustier than WBCL with the LS being a little bit more dusty.

The WBCL clumps much better, much faster than either the LS or PL. Performance wise it was the clear winner. After just 5 mins the WBCL clumps well enough that the clump can be easily removed in tact. Both the LS and the PL fell apart when I tried to scoop after 5 mins. This is important if you ever try to scoop soon after the box has been "utilized".

If allowed to dry for an hour the LS and PL clump pretty well with the PL clumping better. Both make larger clumps than the WBCL. That might just be because the clumps were more loosely bound than the WBCL clumps or it could be the larger clumps actually are composed of more litter.

I've been using a 50/50 mix of WBCL and LS for the last few days and it works well enough for me. Based on my tests I think a 50/50 mixture of WBCL with the PL will work a little better. The cost of a 50/50 mix of WBCL with either the LS or PL comes to $0.71 per lb or about 60% of the cost of WBCL by itself. I might use a bit more of this 50/50 mix though because of the larger clumps so my final cost might be a little more than $0.71 a lb.

Since I used tap water in the tests I can't offer an opinion on odor control.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Below are some pictures I took while testing with a bit more explanation of what I did. Sorry for the poop quality of some of the pictures. I was having trouble with my camera. The auto focus finally died. Also, I misspelled "Purina" on the name tags.

First, comparing the texture of all three:

I used 2 oz of tap water in each of the litters in each test and 2 inches of litter.

In the first test I added the water to each litter and waited for 5 mins. I then
dumped out the litter to see how well each clumped. I dumped each as gently as possible. The WBCL formed a clump that was suspended in the litter, i.e., didn't extend all the way to the bottom of the container, and that was held together quite well.

Both the LS and PL formed a very loose, easily broken clump that extended all the way to the bottom of the container. I tried to gently dislodge the wet litter at the bottom but it wasn't clumped well enough to stay together.

For the next test I used a mix of 50% WBCL and 50% of each of the LS and PL. I again dumped the litter after 5 mins. Each of these mixtures clumped better but still not as well as the WBCL alone.

Then I tested I let the LS and PL sit for 1 hour before dumping it.

For the last test I let the 50/50 mixtures set for 1 hr.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am impressed - VERY good job with the tests and documentation!

I am one of those that has been wondering, as I use the regular strength WBCL and find that it FAR outlasts the clay clumping litter and is nowhere near as dusty, so the higher cost has been extremely worth it to me.

I have no idea what brands of chicken crumbles are available in my area, but if I were to make a choice based upon your results, I'd pick the LS and go with the 50/50 mix.

Great job, thanks for sharing!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes that would be close to the in action tests many have done... now if you can figure out the smell , lol the barnyard ...

beaniebaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! That's great! I mostly lurk but I keep reading people talking about that stuff but didn't really know that they were talking about. The pictures really help!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for taking the time to do that! Very helpful.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good thread. I have tried three different (brands) layer crumbles with one of them including purina. In all of my tests with water and cat pee, mine had different results than yours. All of the layer crumbles clumped well enough to shake the scoop and nothing fell apart. WBCL and Swheat will always out perform the chicken feed, I remember reading something that stated these companies grow wheat or corn that has a higher starch content.

A trick for any grain litter is to tap the sides of the box, shake, or tap the box to the ground. This compacts the litter helping to prevent the pee from reaching the bottom.

Good option(50/50) for someone willing to pay the price for WBCL or Swheat. Allows them to stretch WBCL but still have somewhat the same results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

Good thread. I have tried three different (brands) layer crumbles with one of them including purina. In all of my tests with water and cat pee, mine had different results than yours. All of the layer crumbles clumped well enough to shake the scoop and nothing fell apart.
After sitting for how long? In my tests the crumbles clumps didn't come close to holding together after 5 mins but did much better if allowed to dry for an hour.

Also, the amount of liquid makes a difference. The 2 oz I used in my tests is probably on the upper end of the typical urine contribution range. Just this morning, Coco decided she needed to go while I was scooping out the boxes. I wasn't going to try to scoop it right then because I expected it would fall apart. I decided to go ahead a try anyway and was surprised that it held together. It was probably only about 1 oz of liquid though. Larger clumps don't hold together for me until they have dried quite a bit though.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can remove the clump after a minute. Its not clumped hard like you said but for me its clumped hard enough to remove with a scoop (shaking the scoop back and forth) without falling apart. I scoop once a day and everything so far is fine.

Take care

neems

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my question is if both are just corn why does world's best clump better? I am thinking they must add a clumping agent. I just purchased "chick feed" for baby chicks made with corn and vegetable oil (can anyone tell me if that effects anything?). My cats are so unpicky he hopped right in. I ran to scoop and it fell apart
Should I add corn starch? I will try tomorrow after it has "settled" and see if it scoops better. $8/20# of feed compared to $26/20# of world's best would sure help me out and cheap sand doesn't clump.

I also tried corn cob from walmart..$3 but way too big and nasty, urine just sits there. And fyi chicken scratch or cracked corn I think would be too big. Not sure if chick feed is same as mash. I could take a pic..

neems

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well today it for sure did not clump at all. I am so bummed. I want to use corn so bad but it won't clump for me.
I'd hate to buy the nasty $3 sand but might as well for the price.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neems

well today it for sure did not clump at all. I am so bummed. I want to use corn so bad but it won't clump for me.
I'd hate to buy the nasty $3 sand but might as well for the price.
The chicken feed crumbles (I specify the crumbles) that I buy is very specifically made for laying hens, not for chicks. It is Purina Layena, and it costs me $13 for a 50 pound bag. It looks exactly like the WBCL except for a slight color/smell difference.

I actually mix 25 pounds of this Layena with a 35 pound bag of World's Best in a big food storage bin, and it clumps GREAT. Two 35 pound bags of WBCL mixed with one 50 pound bag of Purina Layena lasts me literally up to 6 months for 5 cats.

So at the end of the day, I am paying about $13 a month for corn clumping litter. I used to spend a lot more than that when I used clay litters, and that was when I had only 2 cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neems

my question is if both are just corn why does world's best clump better? I am thinking they must add a clumping agent. I just purchased "chick feed" for baby chicks made with corn and vegetable oil (can anyone tell me if that effects anything?).
"Chicken crumbles" are chicken feed and not just corn. It includes a bunch of nutritional stuff for the chickens. I can't say I know for sure but I imagine World's Best does contain some kind of clumping agent.

I'm currently experimenting with Wal-Mart Special Kitty litter. It clumps even better than World's Best and is less dusty. Great odor control also. It weights a lot more than World's Best though, almost twice as much as a like volume of World's Best. But is costs a lot less even when comparing cost by volume rather than by weight.

My only complaint with Special Kitty is that it is only available at Wal-Mart and I don't go there on a regular basis.

I'm going to try the Dr. Elsey's brand next. It costs a little more than Special Kitty but it is available at PetsMart and I go there on a regular basis so it would be more convenient for me. I've heard it clumps really well and that is important to me. I think the litter box stays a lot cleaner with a litter that clumps fast and hard.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tip for those trying to scoop urine clumps out of layer crumbles. Tilt the litter box and litter to one side away from the clump, then scoop the whole thing and toss it in the trash. Do not shake it at all.
That's the easiest way to do it and get all of the urine soaked litter out.

Also, if your crumbles are dustier try scooping it into the litter box to avoid kicking up so much dust.

I haven't really noticed a 'barnyard' smell with the stuff I use, that or I'm used to the smell.
I'm currently using some clumping Tidy Cat to transition a new cat and I can smell that perfumery smell all through the house (it's just how my nose is) and that's much worse.

carla mcintyre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hydroxypropylmethylcellulos! or animal gellatin will give you the desired clumping ability to Chicken Crumbles.  That's what WBC uses.  You can get a 30# bag of gellatin for $15 and it will last a year.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hydroxypropylmethylcellulos! or animal gellatin will give you the desired clumping ability to Chicken Crumbles.  That's what WBC uses.  You can get a 30# bag of gellatin for $15 and it will last a year.
Welcome to TCS Carla. :wavey:
I'm assuming you found this thread by doing a search and probably didn't notice that it's 4 years old. Just don't be surprised if you don't get a response from the members who posted here before.
We'd love to have you stop in and introduce yourself and your cats in the New Cats on the Block forum.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the info @Carla McIntyre.  This post was a long time ago, but how do you use that stuff and where do you get it?