Neighbor is harassing my cats for sitting in my window

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a neighbor who tries to scare/startle my cats for sitting in my window and yells profane things at my cats while they see them sitting inside my windows (their house is very close to mine unfortunately) and I'm at the point that I've considered painting the inside of the glass just to keep the neighbor from pestering my cats while they're sitting inside the windows of my house. Suggestions? My cats enjoy looking out the window but because the neighbors house directly faces the side of my house I'm mostly just trying to prevent the neighbor from upsetting/startling my cats. I never imagined I would have such terrible neighbors, and its really frustrating.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
and I'm at the point that I've considered painting the inside of the glass just to keep the neighbor from pestering my cats while they're sitting inside the windows of my house. Suggestions? My cats enjoy looking out the window
Instead of painting the window and after which your cats cannot see the outside due to the opaqueness of the paint, why not use those one way film where it is pasted on the window and you can see the outside from the inside but cannot see the inside from the outside. I think this is a better way than painting the window.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a neighbor who tries to scare/startle my cats for sitting in my window and yells profane things at my cats while they see them sitting inside my windows (their house is very close to mine unfortunately) and I'm at the point that I've considered painting the inside of the glass just to keep the neighbor from pestering my cats while they're sitting inside the windows of my house. Suggestions? My cats enjoy looking out the window but because the neighbors house directly faces the side of my house I'm mostly just trying to prevent the neighbor from upsetting/startling my cats. I never imagined I would have such terrible neighbors, and its really frustrating.
Bad neighbors are s nightmare- so sorry you are in such a position with such awful people next door

I was going to suggest the same thing tabbytom tabbytom did. I have my windows with the one way mirrored film- very easy to do yourself with a spray bottle of water,a razor blade and a squeegee

During the day they will only see their own reflection because it's mirrored and cannot see in- however at night if you have a light on you can see in and not see out so the cats are probably not interested at night anyway but if they are make sure the lights in the room are off....Or you can get very dark tint instead of mirror but it diffuses light too much for my liking

It's a shame you have to block them from not minding their own business- you can always call the police and file a report for harassing your pets in the confines of your home though it's highly likely it would add fuel to their fire- if you are considering that option be sure to record their nasty behavior on video( having audio also would be even better)

I would imagine you can take legal recourse

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have other windows you could entice your cats to? Put up a bird feeder? Then you could close blinds/curtains for the ones for the neighbor. Some people are just mean-spirited, and it might not be worth engaging with the neighbor.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm between shocked and surprised that this would happen. I'm so sorry for both your cats and you. However, I think the above members have given you some helpful advice. I also agree taking a video would be a good way to document the neighbor's awful and irritating behavior.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Florida so it might be different where you are ,also I live in a City( not County) so often City law and ordinances can vary- anyway,a police officer friend was outside earlier and I asked him about someone antagonizing MY cats in the window-he said a " repeated behavior" like that constitutes harassment and videos are your best friend....

If it happened here he'd certainly get warned by the police that his behavior must stop or he'd be charged with harassment

With this kind of neighbor I'd imagine that could either stop them dead in their tracks OR incite even more mean spirited,deliberate acts of vengeance ....I think I'd begin with tinting the windows and setting up a camera if it were me

I'm wondering,,have you ever had any problems with them prior to this? And have you ever asked them why they behave this way? Just curious,are they 10yr olds or an adult ? These people are sick in the head whatever your answer

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me and the neighbor wasn’t venturing onto my property, I would see if I could plant a hedge or or other wise put up some kind of visual barrier as close to the edge of your property line as possible. But even with doing nothing, cat soon learn that the creepy and loud thing outside can’t really get at them and adjust. And your neighbor may get tired of harassing the cats if they fail to respond.