Waking up to a mouse on my face....

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just woke up to a half alive mouse on my face, hahaha I tried not to panic but it did startle me. I know she was sharing. My husband is usually the one that receives the "gifts". 

Does anyone have any similar stories to share? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I have 2 personal cats, and a cat room full of recovering cats and kittens, and had a bold little mouse hang out in my kitchen for the longest time, one night I woke up to hit the bathroom and stepped on that mouse, now dead on my bedroom floor, in the dark, bare feet.............gee, thanks Krissy :)

The worst part, I had no idea until morning when I found what I had stepped on, just went potty and hopped back in bed like nothing....maybe wasn't dead all the way, but after stepping on it........eeeooooow.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor you!

I've had a live frog deposited onto my pillow in the middle of the night, several mice brought home and devoured on the carpet (Just the heads left by the time I got up in the morning.) and a huge Japanese bata cricket dropped on me as I slept.

The bata cricket was the worst, they look like a cross between a spider and a cockroach and they move really fast.

That's what you get for living in the country.......

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, poor you!

I've had a live frog deposited onto my pillow in the middle of the night, several mice brought home and devoured on the carpet (Just the heads left by the time I got up in the morning.) and a huge Japanese bata cricket dropped on me as I slept.

The bata cricket was the worst, they look like a cross between a spider and a cockroach and they move really fast.

That's what you get for living in the country.......

EEEEEEoooooooow!! Okay yep, that tops them all so far......ugh!!

In CA we get these prehistoric looking bugs, nicknamed potato bugs, and they are just about the biggest creepiest things on this planet.

My former (now with my ex) cat Tootie, used to bring one in from the backyard, holding it in her teeth by an arm so it swings around and dangles while she is ripping through the house like it's a game to her, as I am screaming for her to get it outside!! Haha! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That thing is creeeeepy looking!  I'm glad we don't have them here!  The most M&N have caught have been crickets and flies!  I hope they never have the occasion to catch a mouse because they are indoor only!

When I was in high school I went to let my cats in from the garage one morning and they were sitting at the door with a baby snake.  My one cat always went straight to my room when coming in; so yeah...I'm glad they didn't make it inside with that thing!  I made my mother take care of it of course.
  The one cat used to bring mice and birds home too; but she never brought them inside either. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww! Fortunately our cats are indoor only, and we don't have anything big for them to carry to us.. if they find a fly or a spider (we certainly don't get buggers THAT big), they'll usually just eat it there and then.

I actually found a comment on another website about cats and "gifts" the other day that's kinda funny though:

... there was a recent study that suggests that cats don't bring us gross, dead animals so much as a gift, but to ensure we're fed. Where dogs seem to view us as a superior species, cats seem to view us as overgrown, hairless cats who have [crappy] hunting skills. Since they've observed that we can't hunt for our food, they bring us delicious rodents and birds to make sure we don't starve. I have no clue how they interpreted these results, but I think it's funny that our cats may think that we're freaky looking cats who don't know how to cat and risk starving without their help.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Ewww! Fortunately our cats are indoor only, and we don't have anything big for them to carry to us.. if they find a fly or a spider (we certainly don't get buggers THAT big), they'll usually just eat it there and then.

I actually found a comment on another website about cats and "gifts" the other day that's kinda funny though:

If your cat brings you a dead bird it's not a gift.....it's a warning!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to leave the patio door cracked open in early spring before all the bugs to let the cats in and out, but after walking into the sun room and seeing what looked like a massacre on the floor, blood, feathers and a mouse AND bird head laying there, NO MORE! For some reason the mice and rabbit parts don't bother me as bad because they are both so destructive around here, but the bird parts always leave me sad. My husband gets mad at me then, saying " the mice and the rabbits are JUST as important!" but I disagree 
 when I see all the plants and trees they have destroyed! My Casper always brings the moles to me, he knows he'll get big time praise for that, I even do a little dance when he catches those! For some strange reason he will not eat those! Now if I could train him to run off deer, hmmmmm.....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Closest Mouse has got in leaving a gift for me was under the edge of my pillow.  As I congratulated and fussed over him (containing my screams) so he'd know catching mice was a good thing to do I was also reminding myself how lucky I was my warm, furry gift was under my pillow and NOT on top or on my face.    Eeeew.  Well done for keeping your cool.

raquelmaria15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
haha I had actually started a thread a while back about this

I know that spring means new gifts from my Cookie. She only brings me birds, even though I know she has gotten a chipmunk or two because I found those under the bushes in the front yard. Apparently she thinks I really like birds. I actually love the idea that cats think we're incompetent, hairless cats that they have to take care of haha

oh that reminds me of a great video about that!

so funny and cute!

icey bolt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat bring a live bird into the house and let it free in my bedroom.i was about 12.i don't remember how we got it out.maybe Simla the cat did lol

raquelmaria15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oof the live critters are always the hardest to deal with. Especially if you know they're too injured to survive [emoji]128148[/emoji] breaks my heart.
I imagine we get live prey sometimes because our cats think we need a lesson in hunting, just like they would do for kittens.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha! 

Years ago, one of the cats caught something--I don't remember what--but we praised him highly for it.  Not to be outdone, Angel caught a large skink and brought it into the house and turned it loose.  We never could catch it to get it out of the house.

Some days later, we had a lady over that was helping us with some cleaning projects.  I got a call at work:  "AC!  THERE'S A GREAT BIG LIZARD IN THE HOUSE!!!"

I replied calmly:  "Oh, that's just Angel's pet....."

Last edited:

mrsfpmister

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mister enjoys leaving half eaten bugs infront of his food bowl. Not sure if they're for me or a protein snack for later?
The grossest story I have is one afternoon I was reading on my bed when Mister jumped up "chittering" in excitement. I looked around and didn't see what the fuss was about, so I went back to reading. A few minutes later I get a lap full of 15lb cat and a black "leggy" shadow racing down my leg! Ewwwww! Just as I jumped away he crunched on it and left with it in his mouth. I have no idea what it was, but thank goodness it wasn't on my face!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Lizards are a big hit around here this season ! I've taken out several lately, some minus their tails. I picked up kitties' water dispenser to refill it yesterday, and a lizard ran out from under it! I have no idea how many of them may be hiding out in our house right now ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's Little Boy with one of his pet spiders.
ewww, haha it could be worse, thank goodness it is not a wolf spider! A cat getting a spider might be worse than a mouse!!  She keeps bringing them in in our bed and letting them loose, I think she wants us to play with them, then she growls. Not sure if it is at us or the mouse. If it is at us it might be because we didn't catch it? haha