waiting, waiting/mastitis in mom?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done! Feed mom cat kitten food as long as she is nursing the kittens. That and a couple of saucers of Kitten Milk Replacement, not the Herz brand. Buy the powdered form so you can mix just as much as you need each time. The kitten food and KMR will provide mom cat the extra fat, protein and minerals to help milk production. Feeding 7 kittens will take a lot of milk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
I noticed towards the end of day 1, two of her nipple the very tip is purple like a bruise from the kittens nursing
The kittens are doing great gaining weight and she seems very happy in her self eating and drinking

but should I be worried I assume it like us when we first start breastfeeding at the start your nipple can get sore till babies get the hang of nursing
her skin is not red or purple but I can not find the dam thermometer to check her temp

I will try to get a good picture to share of what I am seeing thankfully I can if needed see my vet he will be in his clinic this evening

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need antibiotics if mastitis is developing. Go ahead and email the photo to your vet. Right now her temperature is normal.

You can apply a warm, damp compress on her mammaries in the meantime, then apply coconut or olive oil liberally to each nipple. It is possible that they are just chapped. Does she seem in pain?

C Celticmum

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought her to my vet I know how painful mastitis is and I was worried about her
He was not worried about her nipples he said bruising but she was very engorged and when he checked she had a temperature so maybe I was not doing it incorrectly or I caught her really early and her temp was on the rise I got 38.6.
She has some discharge. so infection and by pure luck, I may have caught it early

He gave her two injections for pain and inflammation and antibiotics and I have antibiotics to give her over the next few days

So far the kittens are doing really well, today's weight :

1 Wander -birth weight 134g - day 3 -164g
2 coconut - birth weight 141g - day 3 -163g
3, Squeak -birth weight 132g -day 3 -171g
4, Apricot - birthweight 127g -day 3 - 156g

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may need antibiotics if mastitis is developing. Go ahead and email the photo to your vet. Right now her temperature is normal.

You can apply a warm, damp compress on her mammaries in the meantime, then apply coconut or olive oil liberally to each nipple. It is possible that they are just chapped. Does she seem in pain?

C Celticmum
I will do that, I think the nipple tips are a little chapped all right :thanks:

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well done! Feed mom cat kitten food as long as she is nursing the kittens. That and a couple of saucers of Kitten Milk Replacement, not the Herz brand. Buy the powdered form so you can mix just as much as you need each time. The kitten food and KMR will provide mom cat the extra fat, protein and minerals to help milk production. Feeding 7 kittens will take a lot of milk!
I have her on Kitten and mother food dry and wet I have goats milk for her as well I can order the milk replacement milk though

Melissa0904

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought her to my vet I know how painful mastitis is and I was worried about her
He was not worried about her nipples he said bruising but she was very engorged and when he checked she had a temperature so maybe I was not doing it incorrectly or I caught her really early and her temp was on the rise I got 38.6.
She has some discharge. so infection and by pure luck, I may have caught it early

He gave her two injections for pain and inflammation and antibiotics and I have antibiotics to give her over the next few days

So far the kittens are doing really well, today's weight :

1 Wander -birth weight 134g - day 3 -164g
2 coconut - birth weight 141g - day 3 -163g
3, Squeak -birth weight 132g -day 3 -171g
4, Apricot - birthweight 127g -day 3 - 156g
Wow... they came out weighing what mine finally weigh in a week!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you got her to the vet because if she got worse she would be unable to nurse her babies and you would be on 24/7 kitten feeding duty. She should begin to feel much better in 2-3 days.

Kitten weights are fantastic! :)

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow... they came out weighing what mine finally weigh in a week!
I was sure she was having more 6 or something, I was always hoping for 4 I think they were well cooked LOL

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they are still growing all between 218 to 243g now

Melissa0904

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I separated mine yesterday into two groups. They are now between 6.2 oz and 7.7 oz. Wow, what a difference having to share with 8 kittens. Yours are doing really well. No matter how much I feed the two small once, I am not seeing a huge jump but they are gaining and not losing.

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I separated mine yesterday into two groups. They are now between 6.2 oz and 7.7 oz. Wow, what a difference having to share with 8 kittens. Yours are doing really well. No matter how much I feed the two small once, I am not seeing a huge jump but they are gaining and not losing.
That is the main thing isn't it seeing a gain I would guess the more kittens the slower the weight gain
with only 4 kittens Nitta has it much easier

I hope your little ones continue to gain weight and thrive