Vomiting concerns in 4 month old kitten.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is a new thread based on:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264095/which-kitten-vomiting

About 3 weeks ago I added a young Ginger kitten (estimated DOB 4/26/13) (her name is now Jessie) to my "family" as a play pal for my 6 month old Ragdoll, Artie.

I followed a conservative introduction and they took to each other like brother and sister after a week... playing, grooming, cuddling.

Anyway, in the past week I've found vomit twice when I came home from work, today I caught her vomiting 3 hours after breakfast. It just looked like the soft food that she had eaten a few hours earlier. Absolutely no change in demeanor… gentle palpation all over her body did not result in any response of discomfort. And she is as active as always.

I'm still finding twice as much in the litter box as I was used to with one cat…. but no way to tell whose business is whom's.

So far it has only been breakfast, and three times in the last week. I feed them around 7:00 am and around 7:00 PM give or take…

I've been feeding Wellness Kitten food and leaving out Hills Ideal balance for free feeding. I don't know if she is free feeding, Artie certainly is.

She has been dewormed, and I also had a fecal sample checked before introducing her to Artemis - and it was negative. At the time the vet remarked she looked very healthy, that was a week ago.

It is possible she could have swallowed something, of course, because it is hard to catch every little thing that falls onto a carpet (or even the carpet itself, which Artie was pulling up when he was bored before I got her) and I've seen her interested in investigating odd things with her mouth. But, like I said, so far only after breakfast. 

Because the volume found in the litter boxes seems to indicate two kittens and there is no change in behavior (or appetite), I'm just observing. I've only started this thread because it was suggested on my other thread.

Thanks.

PS - Oh, I'm such a noob at cat guardianship that I offered her some prime human tuna to get some protein into her actively little body, she ate it up just fine (yummy).  That was 6 hours ago. Played hard about an hour ago. She ate dinner, no problem (I've temporarily switched her back to wet Science diet for kittens, which is what she was fostered on, along with the dry form - THAT I haven't added in) - and is asleep on my bed. I don't know what else I can do. I suppose I could put close her in the play room with a litter box for the night. Might hear some lonely crying from both... but is that advisable?

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you now know that Jessie is the one vomiting, I don't think you have to separate them. It is very possible that as kitten she is eating something she should not. IF the vomiting persists and becomes more frequent then she needs to see the vet asap.

Another thought, when was her last kitten vaccine? Could it be from that since you say she was just at the vet a week ago and I assume it was for vaccinations. Although, IF she were reacting to a vaccine, I would think there would be other symptoms along with vomiting. My thoughts are that it is her diet OR something she is ingesting that could be harmful. All kittens wants to "try" odd things with their mouths.

I suggested starting a thread in our Nutrition Forum http://www.thecatsite.com/f/64/cat-nutrition..... if you are interested in looking into a more healthful diet other then Hill's and/or Science diet. The Wellness Kitten is a good choice to start. Vibes for Jessie :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Reasonable guess, but no, she wasn't at the Vet for vaccines, she already had everything. I just needed a continuation of the Rx I got at the shelter for conjunctivitis.

Vet said she didn't need it, but wrote one just in case. Said she looked excellent. Of course, as chance would have it, her other eye needed it a week later. Ah well.

So, she didn't vomit either the tuna or last night's dinner... so I'll just be on the watch. If this happens again, I will separate them so I can see what comes out the other end.

It is possible that she chewed on and swallowed some thing or another... very hard to get down onto the carpet and find EVERYTHING, but I keep on looking.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hhhhrrrrmmmmmm yeah this is a tough one and could be caused by a lot of things. It does seem like a food allergy is out and the possibility of worms or parasites is minimal given her recent deworming. 

My big concern (and it seems it is yours as well) is that she has swallowed something she shouldn't have. I really think given the frequency that this has been happening your best bet is to consult with your vet again. And, as much as it may suck, she may just need to have an x-ray done to be sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be. I don't mean to be extremist, but there have been threads like this before that start out with a little vomiting here and there and quickly turn into life threatening situations. I don't want you to end up in that place, and so I think it's better to err on the side of caution. If nothing else, at least consult with your vet and see what they think may be going on. If a blockage can be ruled out then a monitor and trial and error approach is your best bet, but I really think you need to be sure it's not something more serious first. 

Vibes for you and Jesse!!!! 

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tough indeed. No vomit today when I came home, and a very healthy appetite. Also I happened to be there when she did her business, no straining, but she DOES like to vocalize during it, LOL.

I can call and see what they say. Yeah, tonight I caught her chewing on a tiny piece of plastic that must have broken off of some bottle top (you know, those awful plastic seals) and drifted down only to be invisible to the eye until I pulled her away. She is vocal when something bothers her, so I gently palpate her abdomen - she is indifferent.

Here is a picture of her cuddling with her adoptive brother.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/9431/odtc.jpg

Ah, you are just going to have to click on it, none of the options actually display the picture, how odd, works on other forums.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really would urge that you call the vet just to be safe. Cats are amazing at hiding pain and other ailments so just because all seems okay doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

I don't know if anyone shared this article yet but it does a great job of outlining possible causes of vomiting and when to consult your vet. Vomiting more than once in a week is definitely a sign to seek a professional opinion! It also details how a cats tongue is a one way track and once they get something in their mouth it's likely going down, regardless of how unpalatable it may be. This is especially true of kittens who like to taste everything!

Again, not to be extremist but there was a thread about six months ago where the cat was seemingly fine with the only sign of a problem being semi-frequent vomiting. Out of nowhere she became really lethargic and the family ended up paying hundreds at the ER vet. Turns out she had swallowed a price of string that became tangled in her intestines. The surgery was complex and she didn't make it. I don't know that is the case here but the point is that it can happen so best to err on the side of caution!

So, rule out a serious medical issue and then we can continue brainstorming possible causes. Continued vibes that this isn't the case! (Sorry my phone won't let me post the icon).

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/your-cat-throwing-up

Ps: that pic is absolutely adorable!

Last edited:

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. No problem today, I also saw her use the litter box without any distress. She is back on her original food. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. No problem today, I also saw her use the litter box without any distress. She is back on her original food. 
Wonderful! I do hope that whatever it was is GONE! What a cutie and thanks for sharing the picture. Keep us posted on how Jessie is doing. :vibes: :wavey:

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Third times the charm. It seems its the food.

Artie likes Wellness Grain Free Kitten wet kitten food. The last time she vomited was when I feed only that to both. So I've been re-introducing it with no problem, as long as it is with something else.

Today I risked feeding only Wellness and two hours later she vomited. Okay then.... something in it bothers her little body.... and since she can eat the "ingredients" (chicken) in other brands, I just don't know.

So, now I'm looking for something as good as Wellness. She has no problems with anything else (loves Soultastic). And although she was raised on Science Diet, neither of them is fond of it (a few licks and walk away).

The problem is she is a little piggie.... even before her bowel is half finished, she will go and shove Artie away from his and finish his! He is twice her bulk. But he is a mellow Ragdoll and he lets her. That's okay, he will come back and then finish her half bowel later.

Since she doesn't vomit when PART of her meal is Wellness, this could still work out. Just trying to figure out something good to feed all the time. I consider the above brand a "treat."

Who would of thought it? Wellness doesn't agree with her (at least the kitten pate).

Last edited: