Vicious Cat Attack!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I can't walk around constantly in fear.
Now every time he growls (which he never used to do, by the way), I run and hide in another room. So frustrating! We used to be like this --->
So, you're obviously capable of walking around in fear, if you're running and hiding in another room.  What I would like you to consider is that this is a choice on your part, and that you are capable of walking around confidently knowing you can handle him.  Because he is a cat, and weighs, what, 12 pounds?  If he goes after you again, grab him by the scruff of the neck and disengage yourself from his claws by moving whatever part he's clawing down towards his tail and then away.  Talk soothingly and in a high pitched voice.  Keep your eyelids droopy - the sleepy bedroom eyes look - this is calming to cats.  Now you have two options - the slow release or the toss release.  Slow release is put him up on something high - bookshelf, cat tree, bathroom counter - and slowly relax your grip while talking to him.  If he struggles or immediately tries to bite you, go for the toss release.  The place to do this is onto your bed, sofa, or stuffed chair.  I'm not talking about throwing him, I'm talking about a gentle toss with one hand on the scruff of his neck and one supporting his butt, about 2-3 feet from the chair/sofa/bed, just far enough from you that he can't turn around to re-engage.

Keep a little container of catnip or treats on you.  Next time he growls, talk in a soothing high-pitched tone, keep your eyes relaxed and partway closed, blink at him (cats do a slow blink at each other to indicate trust), and offer catnip / treats.  Try this first just standing still.  You may or may not get better results by sitting down and doing it, but don't try sitting down until you've got some kind of consistent response out of him with the standing calmly routine.

Has your boy interacted with visitors before?  Have a friend over for awhile and see if there's any change from previous visitor interactions.

I'll re-iterate finding someone to house your kitten for a couple of weeks (at least 3, I would think) and seeing his behavior changes.  Try separating the boy and the girl for as long as you can each day, if you can't find someone to house your kitten.  This will require locking one of them in a room (with a litter box).

Lock him in your bathroom in order to vacuum your bedroom.  Or lock him in a carrier in the living room (may be less stressful, vacuum monster not right outside bathroom door, if your bathroom abuts your bedroom directly)

How many litter boxes do you have?  Two is the minimum, three is better.

Do you live in an apartment?  Do you trust the apartment complex to notify you when they've been in your apartment?  Have any maintenance people been in your apartment recently?  Have neighbors recently moved in or changed in any apartment adjoining yours?  Are there any noises outside your home that have changed recently (construction, idiots playing their car stereos, idiots revving motorcycles or cars for no reason, even kids playing and screaming)?

Has he ever shown any aggression towards the kitten?

Are you able to trim his claws (do you do so on a regular basis)?

Is he eating and drinking and peeing and pooping normally?  Vet may have missed something.  As in, you need to actually watch him use the litter box.

Do you have any tall cat trees / places he can climb up high?

What's his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Louis. I have been able to trim his claws in the past, but haven't tried since the attack. I live in an apartment, but nobody has been in the apartment lately (maintenance workers, etc...). There are no loud noises near my apartment, it's actually really quiet and peaceful here. There aren't very many places for him to jump and climb on, although he does get on the counters quite often. I have two litter boxes. In the beginning he would grab the kitten by the neck, showing dominance. Now he plays with her constantly and sleeps curled up next to her. He has interacted with visitors, and always has been friendly. He seems to prefer females, though. He's very friendly with my mom and sister, but he seems to hide from my step-dad and boyfriend...although he will come out after a while. He is eating, peeing, and pooping normally. I am still giving him the relaxation supplements, but he still seems to be on edge.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what it is D= it's obvious, the world is ending and cats are going to kill us all(hopefully before the zombies get us), build rocket ships with their aposable thumbs they are going to rapidly evolve and go to the moon to await the demise of the planet *nods*

It's clear *something* has got your cat nervious, just not sure what. it has always been my experience that male cats, altered or not, become unpredictable at some point, which is simply why I have never owned a male cat in the house, the males instinct is to roam vast areas of territory (a tomcat can have up to 20 miles that he calls his own) and when unable to do that, they can get edgy, female cats tend to stick to much smaller areas and are quite happy simply calling a house their territory.

I hope things work out with your kitty soon enough.

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats feel safer when they have access to high (5'+) perches.  Maybe get one of those pole cat trees that anchors to the ceiling (usually less expensive than a tall floor-standing-only unit).  Maybe re-arrange some furniture so he can go from a chair, couch, or end table to the top of a bookshelf, and put a towel or something up there to make it more comfortable.  You may have to show Louis that he can get up on top of things, by putting him up there, before he'll do it.

Sounds like Louis and the kitten are getting along splendidly, so I don't think that further experimentation with temporarily removing the kitten from the household is warranted.

Do you give him catnip at all?  It's not exactly 'calming', more like 'energetically happy', but I'm wondering if it would help a cat get over anxiety simply because it gives them a positive state to be in.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah...I really don't think it's the kitten. Actually, they're cuddled up to each other right now.
I think that I will look into getting something that Louis can perch himself up on. The only conclusion that I have come to is that since the kitten has been out and about (I had to keep her in the bathroom for a while and slowly get them acquainted) Louis has become like Mr. Mom. He cleans her, plays with her, and seems to watch her every move. Maybe he's been on edge because he's trying to be protective. I've noticed that weird noises, the vacuum, etc... has become a problem for him since he has grown attached to her. For instance, today the on my A/C kicked on and his tail got all puffy. I talked sweetly to him and he seemed to calm down. Maybe as she gets older he will calm down a bit more.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what it is D= it's obvious, the world is ending and cats are going to kill us all(hopefully before the zombies get us), build rocket ships with their aposable thumbs they are going to rapidly evolve and go to the moon to await the demise of the planet *nods*

It's clear *something* has got your cat nervious, just not sure what. it has always been my experience that male cats, altered or not, become unpredictable at some point, which is simply why I have never owned a male cat in the house, the males instinct is to roam vast areas of territory (a tomcat can have up to 20 miles that he calls his own) and when unable to do that, they can get edgy, female cats tend to stick to much smaller areas and are quite happy simply calling a house their territory.

I hope things work out with your kitty soon enough.

LOL! Cat Apocalypse 2012!

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That photo deserves captioning a la LOLcats!  Nice.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL! He was really focused! Here's hoping he never attacks me again!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! He was really focused! Here's hoping he never attacks me again! :rub:
Just don't keep thinking of it that way. Keep thinking *positive*, not negative.
Keep doing lots of things to keep him worn out and happy and you'll get along just fine. :clap:

pariscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, some story.  Poor you !!! 

The worst thing is if your trust and your spontaneity when being with him has been ruined.  Obviously you can't live with a cat you're afraid of !!  Feeling that you have to hide from your pet is just not right. I don't know what I would do, but if it happened again, I am not sure I wouldn't do the long walk to the vet and have the pet put to sleep, no matter how painful that must be. 

I would not give a cat with recurring fits of agressiveness away to other people, that would not be a responsible solution, IMO.

BTW,  make SURE you are covered with a tetanus shot.  Those bites are serious, the bacteria you can get from cat  bites are horribly pathogenic.  Blood poisoning or tetanus is not to be taken lightly.

I hope things will be OK again between you, because he is such a handsome cat and you love him.

Last edited:

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, some story.  Poor you !!! 

The worst thing is if your trust and your spontaneity when being with him has been ruined.  Obviously you can't live with a cat you're afraid of !!  Feeling that you have to hide from your pet is just not right. I don't know what I would do, but if it happened again, I am not sure I wouldn't do the long walk to the vet and have the pet put to sleep, no matter how painful that must be. 

I would not give a cat with recurring fits of agressiveness away to other people, that would not be a responsible solution, IMO.

BTW,  make SURE you are covered with a tetanus shot.  Those bites are serious, the bacteria you can get from cat  bites are horribly pathogenic.  Blood poisoning or tetanus is not to be taken lightly.

I hope things will be OK again between you, because he is such a handsome cat and you love him.
Well...here I am again. He tried to attack me again today. *big sigh* Fortunately, I was able to "talk him out of it" by talking in a gentle voice. Still, he kept hissing. My sister knocked on the door later on in the day and he started growling. He has never been like this before! It's just so weird! He was always so friendly, rubbing up on visitors legs and being really social. Now he won't even come out of the back room if someone comes over.

I really don't know what I'm going to do with him at this point. I feel like I have done everything that I can. He is healthy, always has food and water, and never acted like this until the beginning of November. While he has acted better in between then and now...he acts totally indifferent to me since the first incident happened. He actually went from always sleeping in my bed...to sleeping in the living room on the couch (sounds like a man...huh? lol). I'm broken-hearted because I really have no idea what went wrong. I feel like I'm constantly fearing him.

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he went, what, 5+ weeks without problems?  AND you were able to talk him down, such that he stopped his attack and only hissed?

THAT'S PROGRESS, CONGRATULATIONS!  You are doing the right things!  Keep doing them!

Also, I'd take him to a different vet for a second opinion.  The more I read about his behavior the more it seems like redirected aggression, to me - as in, he's sometimes spontaneously in pain from something, and since he can't see what's hurting him, he attacks the closest possibility.

What are you feeding him?  Maybe he's allergic to something in the food?

sushi_2286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you should call a behavioralist? I know it sounds nutty, but kinda like the cat trainer on Animal Planet type deal. They think more like cats than we do, and might be able to help Louis.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did he have aggression issues before you brought the kitten home?  Have you tried separating the kitten from him, perhaps have someone else (family/friend) temporarily foster the kitten to see if he returns to normal?  I would not put a cat down as previously mentioned without trying to exhaust all options (I, myself, would not put any cat down unless it was due to health issues).  The behaviorist might be a great idea, too.

Last edited:

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would make a cat outdoor-only instead of putting him or her down for behavioral issues.  Or try to re-home the cat somewhere else as an outdoor-only cat.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would make a cat outdoor-only instead of putting him or her down for behavioral issues.  Or try to re-home the cat somewhere else as an outdoor-only cat.
There's the "outdoor enclosure" option. A bit of an investment, but not impossible to do, certainly.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys...thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, I don't have the "outdoor enclosure" option. I live in an apartment. I would love to get in touch with an animal behaviorist, but I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. I need to do some more research into it. I have been looking around for no-kill shelters or someone who could possibly give him an outdoor environment to live in. I definitely don't want to have him put down...but it's like something inside of him snapped. My friends have even talked about how he looks different now..in his eyes. He just looks like he's ready to attack at any moment. When I walk around the house he follows me and scratches me whenever he gets the chance. He gets the fuzzy tail and hisses as well. I don't know what has gotten into him. The vet says he can't find anything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.