Vibes needed please - Pebbles is having her leg amputated tomorrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Pebbles ... you truly are a precious girl.
You have touched hearts all around the world.

I am amazed by how clean Pebbles amputation wound looks.
These pictures will help someone in the future, who's kitty is facing the same surgery.
Amputation does not have to be the end.
It can be a wonderful new beginning for a kitty.
She is - I can't believe she has done so well, I wasn't expecting it, and told the vet today that I did the best thign for her by going through with this op. I know she was iffy about it, and she did mumble about peoples reactions, and I can understand why with how some people I have told have reacted, but I think it has been different for me by seeing how little she wanted to eat, how nasty she was towards the others, and how bad she was walking on that leg. I dont think the thought of amputation was that bad for me - but I had thought I was going to be told that when this all flared up 5 weeks ago, and I asked the vet if it was the solution before she brought it up, and then again before the vet was ready to admit that meds weren't going to work. It certainly isnt the end of anything for her, she seems so happy (well, except for the cage rest and collar!!). Mon will be the start of hte next phase of her life - life without pain, as now I believe that this leg was causing her pain for so long, but as she has always been grumpy and temperamental, we assumed that was her character - if it had been sudden, it obv woudl have been looked into more. But, I do believe that things happen for a reason, although I haven't figured out the reason for this yet.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Is it today she has her stitches out?
Hope all is well.
Anne

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Arrgh!! I haven't been on here for a while and have just seen this thread. I'm really really pleased to hear that the op went well and that Pebbles is well on the road to recovery. She is absolutely gorgeous!!

Keep up the good work!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nag nag nag

Where is our update?
Hope she is OK.
Anne

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for lack of updates - too busy Mon and tues, and then my phone line went down on Wed and was only sorted this morning - it has been awful with no phone or internet access!! Anyway, she had her stitches out on Mon, within half an hour she was trying to tackle the stairs, struggled with teh first two so stayed there for a while, then got up the rest with a couple of stops, and tried to go on the bed, but failed, so she went to sit on the cat bed on the landing. Tues, she wanted to go out, but I thought it was too soon. Wed morning, she figured out how to get on the bed!! Haven't seen how she is getting off it yet, she does it when I am not around!! She managed to get in the large lidded tray as well, so I decided to let her have 5 mins outside. She didn't stray far, just jumped into my little garden and ate some grass (but then I brought her in, so she threw up in the house!!). Fri night she figured out how to get on the sofa to be with me, and she has been out a bit since then. I do have pics of most of them, but the camera wire is at work!! So, within a week of having her stitches out, she is doing pretty much everything she was doing before. So it was the best thing to do for her, however iffy the vet was. And I have even had a cheque back for the first lot of treatment, just waiting for the cheque for the second lot now!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great news, you must be so pleased with her progress, and it is a load off your mind that you did the right thing.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on making a brave decision that worked.

Pebbles I am thrilled.
Will be looking forward to seeing your pictures sweetie pie.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that she is doing so well. It was obviously the right thing to do for her.
Anne

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delay, here are a few pics.

Was at the vets with the boys on Thurs, and the vet was asking about her, so I told her how well she was doing and that I thought it was the best thing I did for her. She is pleased that things have worked out, esp since she was so reluctant to do the op. And when I got back, my neighbour told me that my black and white cat was limping - I told him that was cos she only has three legs. The reply was a puzzled 'Has she? I never noticed!!'

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pebbles is doing so incredibly well!
She really has adapted to everything and is not letting anything get in her way!

I think Pebbles practices everything while you're not around so that it can be a big surprise when you see what she's achieved!

Keep up the fantastic work, both of you!

I'm still giggling about your neighbour!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pebbles really is an amazing girl.
Few of us would recover so quickly.

I do wonder if she is safe outside.

Our cats use both hind legs to fight & climb.
How will she protect herself?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think she is safe outside, as she doesnt go very far - she has taken to sitting next to the drainpipe in front of the house (after she has eaten some grass of course), never found her there before. She has never been a wanderer, if she had, I would have had to rethink. There is nothing for them to climb round here either. My vet has a three legged cat who can climb her 6ft fence. And the door is always open when she is out, so she can run back in if she sees something and she has never been left out if I go out, unless the neighbours are keeping an eye on her.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

My vet has a three legged cat who can climb her 6ft fence.
I had no idea that a kitty could climb with only three legs.
Aren't our kitties amazing.

I know that you would never put Pebbles at risk...
I just could not imagine how she would be safe ourside.
Around here...no cat is safe outdoors.

I'm glad that your sweet girl can enjoy being outside.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is an amazing story! So glad Pebbles amde it through. She is so cute and looks like a little raccoon in the face. This is a great thread and gives me hope for JJ.

Jenn