Vibes needed please - Pebbles is having her leg amputated tomorrow

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. It certainly sounds as if she's doing just fine, and will be completely up and about in no time.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I brought Tommy home after is amputation (he was a stray so the recuperation was in the garage) I fixed up a spot and barricaded it shut and he jumped over it about 5 minutes after I got him settled in-the barrier was over 3 ft high!!! Don't feel like she has to be confined strictly to the cade until the stitches need to be removed. I think it helped a bit on recuperation to try to resume some of old habits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail - re the cage rest. The vet checked the size of the cage, and was happy as it means she can have a bit of exercise, as she is allowed to walk, but it is more in case she jumps, falls and lands on the stitches, as that would be incredibly painful and may need further sedation to re-stitch (which could be very tricky as it took her a long time to fully wake up from this op). So she is being allowed to come out of the cage and sit on the quilt in front of it, but no further, as I just don't think it is worth the risk, it is only 5 days since she had the op. She is due a check up with the vet tomorrow night, and we will then make the app for the stitches to be removed.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwww look at her
Thankyou for sharing those photos and for your continued updates. Sounds like she will breeze through this recovery period which is wonderful news

Good luck at the checkup tomorrow

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh! What you went through! I'm just joining in here (always a little behind
) but I just wanted to add in my good wishes and thoughts on a speedy recovery... she sounds like she's doing great!

I've never known a cat with three legs, but I did know a dalmatian like that. She kicked just as much butt as she did with four legs. Actually, I think she was more full of life after her surgery. If she's anything to go by, I think Pebbles will be livin' large in no time at all

My best to both of you!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has just had another poo - and didn't have to have laxatives for this one, so I am so incredibly pleased, I think things are looking really positive. Hard to believe that this time last week the vet had agreed that we had to do the amputation, and that I was just waiting to hear if it would be on the Tues or not. I am sure the vet will be really pleased with her tomorrow.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definately sounds like she's recovering from the surgery quickly! Good luck tomorrow and keep us updated! {{{{More good vibes for Pebbles}}}}

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray Pebbles...a normal poo.

Sending positive vibes for your vet apt. tomorrow.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet says her stitches are looking well, and can come out on Mon, and after that, she can start hopping round the house!! the vet did seem to be quite concerned about whether I had noticed any positive improvements in her, and I have, she is so much happier. She is now pooing every day, falls over when she tries to cover it up mind!! And when she shakes her head, but she will get used to it. She isn't on meds anymore, and is feeling so well in herself that she is no longer content to sit on the quilt I have in front of the cage, she wants to wander round like normal, which is so good - the op was only a week ago, and I can't believe the difference in her, I am so pleased I went through with it. Do have some updated pics, I will post them tomorrow when I have the time and patience to put them through photobucket.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is fantastic news!
I've been thinking of you both so much!

You go, Pebbles!
We all know how determined you and strong you (and your meowmy
) are!

Keep up the brilliant work, both of you!

~love_that_cat~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read the thread and OH MY! I am so happy Pebbles is recovering and feeling so much better now! I actually used to know a lady who had a three-leg cat and I know she was like that for a couple of years and just got used to it and was playing with other cats and just was like any other cat...
So I am sure Pebbles will be just so greatefull to be healthy- three or four legs won't matter to her!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can hardly wait to see Pebbles pictures.

I share in your joy over how quickly your sweet girl is recovering.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, don't think I have much more to report. Brought her upstairs last night (it is weird carrying her!!), and put her on the bed, and she just wanted to sit on my knee, so I let her. She is doing so much better than I expected, and it is so hard to believe that it is only a week since she came home. So, here is a pic of her on my knee, and one of her on the quilt.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww!!! I am a member of another cat forum, and she has such a fan club on there, she has peoples OH and kids asking about her!!! I am so pleased that I have forums to come too, I know in myself that this was the best thing I could have done for her, but it is nice to share it with others. The next test is Mon, as she is having her stitches out so can start hopping round the house after then. I think she will continue to surprise me, I didn't expect her to do half as well as she has so far.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pebbles ... you truly are a precious girl.
You have touched hearts all around the world.

I am amazed by how clean Pebbles amputation wound looks.
These pictures will help someone in the future, who's kitty is facing the same surgery.
Amputation does not have to be the end.
It can be a wonderful new beginning for a kitty.