Vibes for My Husband, Please

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aside from feeling weak ( a lot ), this week has been ok.  We see the oncologist Friday and will have labs done then.  Also an appointment with a surgeon Friday to see about getting a port before the next round of treatment.  From what I've read, it may take another week or two for Dave to "bottom out", for his platelets and RBC to reach their (hopefully) lowest level before they start to build back up.
I highly recommend the port. My Mom just got one last month- at first she didn't want to do it but now she's so glad she did. It just makes the whole process so much easier. It was a quick procedure and she really didn't have any pain afterward. Just make sure they give you EMLA cream to put on it before treatment. The EMLA numbs the skin so he won't feel the poke. 

I think most IV chemo's are the same in that days 10-14 are when their numbers are at their lowest. But, for my Mom anyway, she doesn't really notice it. She may be a little more tired but she feels most of the side effects right after treatment. The main thing about that time period is to be even more vigilant about germs because it's when the immune system is at it's weakest. 

Still sending you and Dave positive vibes!!!!!! 

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend the port. My Mom just got one last month- at first she didn't want to do it but now she's so glad she did. It just makes the whole process so much easier. It was a quick procedure and she really didn't have any pain afterward. Just make sure they give you EMLA cream to put on it before treatment. The EMLA numbs the skin so he won't feel the poke. 

I think most IV chemo's are the same in that days 10-14 are when their numbers are at their lowest. But, for my Mom anyway, she doesn't really notice it. She may be a little more tired but she feels most of the side effects right after treatment. The main thing about that time period is to be even more vigilant about germs because it's when the immune system is at it's weakest. 

Still sending you and Dave positive vibes!!!!!! 
So true.... all of this! They put a port in as soon as chemo was prescribed for me when I had breast cancer - ("had" being the key word here). It was so easy! And much better than wrecking the arms and hands, putting needles in there. And the EMLA cream is definitely essential.

Prayers and vibes and good thoughts continuing for your hubby! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info about the EMLA cream; I'm going to write it down so I don't forget to ask the surgeon about it tomorrow.  I'm still not sure why no one mentioned a port before the chemo started.

I'm being very diligent about the germ issue, making sure Dave is wearing a face mask and gloves when we're out.  We have to attend a wake for a family member this evening, and I'm dreading the fact that he'll be around all those germy people. 

You all don't know how much I appreciate the input.  Neither of us knows anyone who's gone thru chemo, so we are total novices in this situation.  Every little bit of info helps.  It's just a good feeling to know that so many people are sending positive vibes our way, and I wish I could thank each one of you personally.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the info about the EMLA cream; I'm going to write it down so I don't forget to ask the surgeon about it tomorrow.  I'm still not sure why no one mentioned a port before the chemo started.

I'm being very diligent about the germ issue, making sure Dave is wearing a face mask and gloves when we're out.  We have to attend a wake for a family member this evening, and I'm dreading the fact that he'll be around all those germy people. 

You all don't know how much I appreciate the input.  Neither of us knows anyone who's gone thru chemo, so we are total novices in this situation.  Every little bit of info helps.  It's just a good feeling to know that so many people are sending positive vibes our way, and I wish I could thank each one of you personally.
I'm not sure, but I have hear from a lot of people they didn't get a port put in until after their first round (we didn't either). I think partially because usually when they decide to start chemo it's a pretty immediate thing, and also they want to make sure the person wants to go with that treatment plan. Some people do one round and decide it's not worth it to them. And, it can take longer to schedule the port surgery. I don't know if any of those are facts, that's just what makes logical sense in my head. 

Germs are the constant enemy! We literally have hand sanitizer all over the house and make people use it. She does wear a mask when out, and she doesn't go to super germy places. If he can avoid it don't let him go to the grocery store! It's the one place people will still go even if they are deathly sick. We also ask that anyone who comes over a lot has a flu shot. When I got a cold last year my Dad literally banned me from the house. I didn't get to see my Mom for almost two weeks! It sucks but it's just what has to be done. 

We didn't know a lot of people either but we have tried to make friends at chemo and learn from them. Otherwise it's just been a lot of trial and error. Just accept all the goodness people are sending to you and pay it forward by sending it back when you can. Focus on taking care of you and of Dave. That's what it's all about. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sending more :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: and prayers your way. My brother also sends his best wishes for Dave.
Where is Dave having the treatments done?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your husband sounds like a good man, and he is lucky to have you to care for him. Loving support from friends and family will do him a world of good. Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. I think I can safely say the we are all sending out prayers and best of good health vibes.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw the surgeon this morning; the port will be implanted on Oct.1, a week before the next round of chemo.  Hopefully, our niece (who is an anesthetist) will be on duty that day and be the one taking care of Dave.  We've asked for her, anyway.

Saw the oncologist and had labs done.  Dave's WBC went from 147K to (drum roll, please)-----3.1K!!!

Even the dr. was amazed at the results.  The hemoglobin and RBC are better, but are still low enough to classify Dave as anemic.  He tells us these results are wonderful (as if we didn't know that already), and points to the fact that the marrow is already working to replace itself.  The quicker the results the better the outcome, meaning (fingers crossed) years of remission. 

I'm trying not to get super-excited, but seriously---I am super-excited!  I asked the onc. if we should be tickled and he said, "Definitely!  I'm tickled!"  It's really hard not to walk around with a silly grin on my face right now.

Now is the time we have to be even more diligent about germs.  The WBC count is actually low/normal, and infection is a real possibility. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the support and advice!  Whatever you all are doing, please keep it up!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Saw the oncologist and had labs done.  Dave's WBC went from 147K to (drum roll, please)-----3.1K!!!
Even the dr. was amazed at the results.  The hemoglobin and RBC are better, but are still low enough to classify Dave as anemic.  He tells us these results are wonderful (as if we didn't know that already), and points to the fact that the marrow is already working to replace itself.  The quicker the results the better the outcome, meaning (fingers crossed) years of remission. 
Oh, my goodness......that's really, really good news!!! You should grin! :nod: Every good step is a positive!!! Yay!

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know a lot about cancer treatments, so I cannot offer you any advice. But I can continue to send lots and lots of
for him and his treatments. Sounds like he's doing very well!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'm making Dave just a wee bit crazy---"put your mask on", "wash your hands", "have you got hand sanitizer with you?"   Gotts watch out for all those nasty little germs. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm making Dave just a wee bit crazy---"put your mask on", "wash your hands", "have you got hand sanitizer with you?"   Gotts watch out for all those nasty little germs. 
:D
AWWWW he knows that is just LOVE!!!!!!! :heart3: :heart2: Glad to hear the great news and yes, must be diligent with germs because it seems to be working!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap: CONTINUED prayers and vibes, Libby :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Haha I do that too! But, she know it's just because I love her. Hopefully Dave gets that too. 

Those labs sound amazing!!!!!The Onc is right you should be tickled! I KNOW he will go into remission and you will both just keep on living life. Just get through this phase with as much love and humor as you can! 

Congratulations to Dave!!!!!!!!!!