Vibes for fishy!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ummmmm nope, just a regular old vase with a plant I got at the aquarium store. They said it would be fine with the betta, so far so good, although he has seemed to eat most of it?

That's what the set up looks like. I think he has lots of room and it's been 4 months since the 'falling ordeal' and no issues. I think i'm int he clear
Might need a new plant soon though!

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunetly no cover is bad, bettas can jump out of the water, and your cat can just swipe its paw in and nab the fish.

Bettas dont eat plants they eat mosquito larvae (bloodworms), brine shrimp, and those betta pellets.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Unfortunetly no cover is bad, bettas can jump out of the water, and your cat can just swipe its paw in and nab the fish.

Bettas dont eat plants they eat mosquito larvae (bloodworms), brine shrimp, and those betta pellets.
Bettas do eat plants thou they are a carnivorous fish....

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to back up a comment I made about bettas jumping out of the water, I had a betta and it was my first, I was told just put the fish in a bowl with gravel and some pellets and thats all, and that was from a pet store worker who I thought I could trust. I was young at the time and it was my first betta and this was when they first became popular in the early 90's.

Then one day the uncovered fish leaped out of the bowl onto the floor, if I hadn't found it it would have surely died.

After that I did some research and found out that what the pet store says about bettas (at least by me) was WAY off and they knew next to nothing about betta care. They mentioned nothing about PH,diet,illness, or just basic care like a tiny bowl is NOT good for a betta. Heck, they didnt even say bettas need to breath air. If you buy one at a store most of them are sick and in only a few inches of dirty,smelly water. They literally toss away dead bettas each day!

It may seem like i'm trying to find fault, but many betta owners never really have bettas for long because they are greatly mis-informed about their care.

So if by posting this information, if I helped even one betta, then it was worth it.

I had one male live 6 years which is quite long for them.