Vibes for Aussie's Ultrasound Tomorrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am glad everything went well today.
My Coco is on k/d even though she has bladder problems.
Midnight was on s/d for strvite stones then he got the oxide stones and had the same surgery your cat did.
Everything went well with Midnight.
We were told the s/d made the oxide stones worse.
So what did they put Midnight on as far as diet goes? Yeah, my concern is the low phosphorus kidney diet isn't helpful for the oxalate stones, but I'm not sure what else you can do about that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

Once the crystals are removed, they'll go out for analysis, but both of us feel like they're probably calcium oxalate. The reasons we believe this are because she's older (11 next month) and because she has been on food for the last several years for prior struvite crystals which had resolved. Once we know for sure what they are, we'll treat as best we can, but from what she's saying there is no sure treatment for oxalate crystals.
when Chip had crystals, the vet said they were the oxalate type. i add potassium citrate & brewer's yeast to the wet - both of these are supposed to help w/oxalate crystals, according to my research [the potassium citrate is an akalinizer & the brewer's yeast adds b-vites].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

when Chip had crystals, the vet said they were the oxalate type. i add potassium citrate & brewer's yeast to the wet - both of these are supposed to help w/oxalate crystals, according to my research [the potassium citrate is an akalinizer & the brewer's yeast adds b-vites].
Thanks Laureen! I'll definitely check both of these out.