Veterinary charges

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes to cleaning teeth the cost might be related to the method used. In Sweden it costs about half as much to have the tartar scraped away compared with having it removed with ultrasound (which is much more effective and better for the enamel). Scraping costs about $80 and ultrasound $160.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have a great vet now. i was just sharing the story of a snooty overpriced vet clinic (an all cat clinic, at that)

the vet im using now did suggest a full work up for patchy before she gets her teeth done and also since shes never had one since ive gotten her, only the usual blood test the shelter does. she said it would be about $60 for that which i didnt think was too bad

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vets have us by our short hairs........I swear. Mine is 45 dollars just to walk in.
K.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My baby has no dental problem yet. I'm brushing her teeth daily to prevent that, and I guess it's working for her so far

A friend of mine in southern CA said she had to pay $400 to have her cat's dental check-up & cleaning. The cost includes general anaesthesia as well. Another friend of mine's cat had serious dental problems & had to have pretty much all of his teeth extracted. I heard that the cost was $6000

I just recently switched my vet as well after I got fed up with my previous vet who kept adding unnecessary procedures & charges. Only one good thing about my previous one is that their facility is closer to my home but that was pretty much it. Although their receptionist was nice & friendly, I did not like the way their vet & nurse treated my baby. Also they did not seem to care about animals, that was a big minus. My new vet is great, everybody there is very nice. They all love cat & I could tell they care. The cost is a little less, still not so cheap but I'd rather pay for great service & care than OK service with horrible or no care.

This is just me, though.
Hope you'd find a vet who cares about your babies

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got a quote today for Bijou:

Anaesthetic Induction Fee - $120.
Anaesthesia Maintenance (monit&agent) 10 min - $104.50
Dental exame/prophylaxis/polish - extensive - $90.10
IV Fluids during Surgery - $70.70
Pre-Anaesthetic Panel + PCV - $69.90
Dental Hospitalization - courtesy - $0.00
Tax - $22.77

Total estiimate charges - $477.87

Actual total may vary between $330.23 and $477.87

This is an estimate of cost which may vary 10% above or below that which is outlined.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyparamedic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, there have been a lot of replies! For some reason it didn't notify me. Maybe I forgot to tell it to. Anyway, it appears that charges do vary quite a bit from place to place and area to area. I did move from a small city to a much, much bigger one, although this new vet is located in a small suburb. That might be why they charge so much because it is in an affluent area. I chose them because I've heard good things about them and it's the most convenient. Guess there's a price to pay for convenience.

The dental uses ultrasonic scaling and polishing. I'm not sure if my old vet uses ultrasonic scaling or not. It's possible at that price that they don't. However, they do apply Oravet, which is included in the price. The dental was $55, not $45 like I said in the original post. Still, this new vet charges an extra $22 for the Oravet.

I took in a fecal sample which came back negative so she wanted to start him on antibiotics as his WBC count was elevated. I went to pick them up and had another $74 to pay! Apparently they sent his x-rays to a radiologist to read so that's an additional charge. Not sure how much of the $74 that was, but he was put on Clavamox and I don't think that it's that expensive.

I may just have them seen by the vet my mom uses, who makes housecalls. His fee for the housecall and exam is $50, so still $5 cheaper than the other place and he comes to me! I'm not sure how much more he charges to see multiple animals if they're on the same visit. I'd still have to take them in though for some things obviously, and his office is not convenient.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! Prices can really vary. I have not had to do a dental on any of my cats but have to for Lucia since she has not been in my care. I guess shopping around pays off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyparamedic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely. Maybe $144 isn't such a bad deal! I'm still going to check around though. It might be worth it to drive 2 hours to get the dental at my old vet even with gas prices the way they are.

chetwynsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
$275 for a spay was the best price i could find(by almost half)maggie was only 5.5lbs at the time