Vet Was No Help At All!

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I think my cat is pregnant by I'm not sure when she would have been breed. She is an indoor/outdoor cat and I was under the understanding that cats don't go into heat in the winter so I didn't think twice about sending her outside a few times (she's now 11 months old). Now she is getting a pot belly and I swear you can see and feel them moving. I took her to the vet today and she said she couldn't definitively tell me if she was pregnant and when she might be due. She suggested it could be works but I don't want to treat for it unless I'm sure she's not pregnant as none of them are safe for unborn babies. I will be getting her spayed after this litter or in 6 weeks if she doesn't have kittens by then. Can anyone tell me if this looks like a pregnant cat? It' hard to tell because she's a long hair and mostly black. She's also not super huge but maybe that just means she's only got a couple in there? I do have lots of boxes filled with newspaper and towels set around the house just in case.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pregnant. Any unspayed female who has been outside is by now. Cats start to mate in late December/early January. In temperate climates, the months they mostly don't mate are mid-September though mid-December, when the days are short, but this is not guaranteed because artificial heating and lighting and a steady source of food can mess with their cycles. It's basically never safe to allow an unspayed cat outside.

If you can feel them moving, that means she has less than 2 weeks to go! Keep your vet's emergency number close by. The thread at the top of this subforum has a lot of useful articles: Pregnant Cats And Kittens Articles

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can go into heat at anytime provided they have access to food and a warm enough environment for kittens to survive. If she had free access to outside, she is pregnant. The photos also look like she is pregnant, but could be something else of course.

I'd keep her inside and away from any unaltered males until the kittens are weaned and she's spayed. She can get pregnant again soon after the kittens are born. You'll also want to get a kitchen scale to weigh the kittens daily to mointoring for weight gain. If any kittens aren't gaining weight have some KMR and bottles on hand in case they need a little extra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I have a video but it won't let me upload it. I just wanted the vet to tell me for sure if she was pregnant but she wouldn't do an x-ray because she said it was expensive and unnecessary. "She'll either have babies or she won't." It might have been expensive but so was the $50 just to have them tell me what I already knew, that she might be pregnant.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say use a different vet lol. Xrays aren't too expensive honestly and it would be good to know how far along is she, if she is indeed pregnant. Cats can give birth 3 times a year, and as early as 4 months of age. We are dealing with kittens being born here in Edmonton in -30 weather and it hit -40 weather. The rescue I volunteer with has 2 pregnant moms (she has another cat who gave birth recently to), a mom and 5 kittens, 4 seven month old and 3 ten week old kittens (from the same momma cat). Its just cats reproduce so quickly and at such a young age spaying your cat is extremely important. If your cat isn't pregnant (or not too far along) you should get her spayed asap.

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I won't abort. I'm not for that. It's my fault and I'll care for them until I can find good homes for the babies. If that means they live here so be it. But the mama will be spayed 8-9 weeks post babies or as soon as I know she's not pregnant/it's safe.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As Willowy said, since you can feel movement, it will probably be around two weeks until delivery. This article lists some more signs to look for: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

And, you still have some time, but it’s not too early to start thinking about prepping for the birth: Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Thinking even further ahead, this article gives some great advice about how to find homes for kittens: "kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is cat dandrif part of pregnancy? I've noticed the last few days especially she has terrible flakes all over her coat.

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks illI try that.

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no babies. She is acting more lethargic today, or lazy. She has spent most of the day sleeping. She only goes a short distance from her food and litter box to sleep, but not in the same room. She isn't looking for a secluded place yet, though I have 4 boxes filled with new paper, towels and microfleece set about the house if she chooses to use them. The babies are VERY active now. You can almost make out their individual body parts when they move. Mama is not very large, so maybe just a couple of babies in there. It's been a little over a week since I posted so I'm hoping it will be sooner rather than later.

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I remember thinking at the end of january/beginning of February that she was starting to get a bit fat. So I'm not exactly sure how far along she is. My best guess is she got pregnant the beginning of January (based on the last time she was outside).

B_lovinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had babies! At 3:30am I heard the faint cries of a baby kitten! I immediately went to find them, only to realize she was having her kittens ON my son's bed with him lying right next to her! The baby had fallen off the bed (baby is ok) so I picked it up and gave it it mama. I then picked her and the baby up with the blanket she was on and brought them to a safer location. She proceeded to have 3 more babies, totalling 4. The last baby came out backwards and got stuck for a while. Mama did great! She is nursing them well now and I've left them alone in a secluded room.
I had absolutely no idea they were on their way. She never nested, she wasn't loud, she ate all day yesterday. All the stuff I read online never happened. I did notice last night that she couldn't get comfy, though I chalked it up to pregnancy aches. Otherwise no clues. She is exactly 2 weeks from when I started seeing them move. She had her first baby around 3:30am and her last around 5am. I moved them to a clean box when she was all done and am now cleaning up the mess (blankets, floor, etc). I will get more pictures when the sun is up and she leaves the nest for a bit.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I'm so happy everything went smoothly. Mama sounds like she did wonderfully, now you have another life experience to live filled with adorable kittens! Give mama a kiss for me.....