Vet has me confused!! Help!

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have two purebred Siamese, my male is fixed and my female was about to be, however my little huntress must have gotten out. Both going to be two years this summer (not from the same parents). I looked down at her last weekend and realized that she was getting pretty round. I flipped her over, and yes, her nipples are bright pink and look very full. Now she has gotten out before, however I think she got out and the kids wrangled her and got her in without telling. I feel horrible because we were just having the "spay" conversation a week ago. 

No point in crying over spilled milk though. We are prepared to deal with kittens and will handle things responsibly. I called the vet right away and took her in. The first question I was asked by the vet tech and the Vet was whether or not I was going to allow her to have them, this irritated me. I told the Vet, as long as there is no risk to her health, yes, why wouldn't I?

So as the Vet was examining her belly, he told me he couldn't tell if he felt a fetus, or her bladder. He explained that the farther along cats get, the harder it is to feel the fetus because of the fluid surrounding them. That she may in fact be sick. He seemed irritated that I could not tell him when she may have gotten out, then asked if I wanted to do an utlrasound (as he was walking out the door) or wait it out a little bit.

My poor baby was sooooooo stressed out about being there, and the Vet's demeanor was not the most pleasant, so I opted to wait it out. He gave me his cell number and scheduled an appointment for two weeks out. Now I feel like I should have done it. She is not acting sick, eating more often, not necessarily more of. She seems protective of herself with the rest of the family except myself and my 3 year old son (her favorite). I noticed she is checking out new places that are small and confined, but with no sense of urgency and it has me second guessing whether it is in fact nesting behavior now. She is still jumping onto counters, climbing her 6 foot tower...I am just confused. Has anyone dealt with a similiar situation? 

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess my real question should be, has anyone ever not been able to get a determined "pregnant" from the vet, and in fact their cat was? 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's MOST likely she is pregnant, if she id not spayed and got out AT ALL it's 99% sure, they are that fertile. I'd watch her and make sure she is eating, drinking, and going the bathroom OK, I'd also try to find another vet, he is paid by YOU to exam your cat, he didn't seem very compassionate! Good luck, and also luck in finding homes for the kittens!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets like quite a few other people only have so much patience with accidental litters, when they and we know how many cats and kittens are killed in shelters every day for nothing other than not getting a home fast enough.  Maybe you saw him or her on a bad day.

I'm also very surprised you hadn't had her neutered earlier - if I read your post correctly she is 2 years old.  All cats and kittens should be neutered by 6 months and that confers the best health benefits, especially for female cats.  Each time she comes into call her risk of breast cancer and pyometra go up a little.  Once she is neutered she can't get pyometra and her risk for breast cancer stops increasing.

It certainly sounds like she is pregnant.

All you can do is wait.  If you can find out when she was out then add 65 days and that's her expected due date.  In the meantime make sure you have emergency vet details - Siamese because of their slender shape are a bit more likely than non-pedigree cats to need vetinary help when kittening.  If you don't like the vet you saw, look around and see if there is someone you prefer.

Also get her wormed before delivery, and make sure you worm the kittens.  In the UK we would give Panacur at 3, 5 and 9 weeks but I have no idea what is done in the US.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply! I have a lot of good people already inquiring about them, especially if they come out looking like her. We fully intend on having them altered and asking for the fee for adoption. I actually got a call from my mother-in-law as soon as I got home, saying my grandmother inlaw wants one, and I felt horrible saying she may not be pregnant. I am so overprotective though I told my husband it may be a NO. The cat will-out live her and I am concerned about where it will end up when the time comes. My husband has always dealt with this vet, and when I left, I called him and asked what the hype was? I will definatley be considering an alternative, and he knows I will be requiring his attendance for the next visit, since he seems to get better responses from this Vet. This is my first cat experience as an adult and I have never had this issue, so it makes me feel better to talk to people that have better insight. 

Thanks again!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to think about what will happen if your gran outlives the kitten, though this really applies to all of us.  People die unexpectedly and young every day of the year. 

If she isn't pregnant give thanks - feeding a cat and a litter through to 10-12 weeks is a pretty pricey affair, and there are the mountains of cat litter you would go through as well.

Remember, mum cat must NOT go out from now until she is neutered, and the kittens should be neutered at the very latest by 6 months old. 

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oriental thank you. We actually rescued her at about a year old from a home that did not want her. My husband is a police officer, and found her in the care of  a couple that was not taking care of her, and had a very large dog that seemed to want to eat her. My male came from a breeder and was neutered very early. It took her a long time to get acclimated and even longer to recognize a heat cycle. She had a lot of behavior issues including the "nursing the blanket" issue. She has blossomed very well and is one of the most social cats that I or my friends have seen. We just got her to break from all these habits, and got her comfortable. I guess that is why we waited, and like I said...just had the conversation. We knew she was over the 6 month mark anyways, and did not want to provoke anything uncertain for her yet. 

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im not sure on the deworing, he said nothing about prenatal care. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet was a little sour, he was, but he was NOT incompetent medically speaking. All his questions and remarks were entirely correct. Both the question of perhaps aborting the ooops litter (many people dont even knows this is entirely possible), and giving you the possibility to ultrasound.  Which is the trick here, but not X-ray, which are quite popular by some american vets.

The kittens will probably NOT be siamese alike.  The point gene is recessive, and must come both from mom and dad.

Good luck!

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks StefanZ

I think I am going to just call back and have the ultrasound done. I have gently felt around her belly, and can not feel any lumps either. Is that possible? To not feel any fetuses? 

Or what is the likelihood that she could only have one?

Whatever they look like we will love them, and won't let them go to just "anyone". Vet said alterations can be done as early as 8 weeks given they are 2lbs. I figured on keeping them till 10 weeks, after doing my research on mine with all the behavior problems. Some of them seemed to have stemmed from being taken to soon from her mother. 

Also contacted a shelter out here called "One of a Kid Pets" and they told me that they will help me find good homes of we have any problems since we are going to take care of the vacc's and alterations ourselves. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is otherwise well I wouldn't be taking her to the vets.  It can be stressful, she can pick up infections if there is a cat breathing out viruses, and it costs money!  If she is pregnant she will give birth in her own good time, if not then things will settle down.  At least is isn't suggesting an X-ray.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just to keep everyone updated, Jada got her ultrasound this morning. She is in fact pregnant. Doc could not tell me how many, but that there are heartbeats, and one was stretching its legs outward. I am so glad she is not sick!!!! Now we wait I guess. Thanks you for all the responses!

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww..hope all goes well i know the feeling with the waiting game..did tha vet estamate how far along she is?? Does she have any weird symptoms??

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Vet said he doesn't like to guess...but there were heartbeat and a very visible head shape on one, vet tech said she could see one had its legs all stretched out. Maybe six or seven weeks is what he said. She gained three ounces in three days, and plumped up significantly, he said he was surprised at how much in a short period. Giving her kitten chow stirred in a little wet food and two tablespoons of kitten replacement milk for dinner...letting her eat regular dry food the rest of the day since I can't regulate with my other cat. No wierd behavior, although she was VERY affectionate when we came home and was rolling on the floor lol.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she is still plumping up. Officially can not make it onto the counter tops and I could feel some kicks when I felt the side of her belly. Nothing major, small kicks. Surprisingly she is really sticking close to Jagger...my male (not the Daddy). The are grooming each other in the cutest loving way. He is pretty passive, at what point should I allow him to see her and the kittens when they come? This is going to be hard for them to stay apart...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? If so, let him hang around as long as she's OK with it. Sometimes neutered boys can be good babysitters. But of course if she doesn't want him near her babies you'll have to separate them. If he's not neutered, he'll have to stay away from her until she's spayed, as females can get pregnant again very quickly. And sometimes toms will kill kittens who aren't theirs.

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep neutered! He has been since he was really young. Never been aggressive and very little prey drive.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats. And can't wait for pic. Good vibs for you and the whole fam (including the little kitties).

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont think he will hurt em alotta male neutered cats can help tha mommy..unless she doesnt want him around em but she'll let you kbow that..

llemonier08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She laid on my arm/lap today. When I moved her my hand was wet...came from her nipples. When should one expect that in pregnancy?