Very young kitten (2 months?) not eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fallingwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just like with a human baby, crying is the only way to communicate.
Augh, I really don't like human babies. At least feline ones should grow out of the "SCREAM YELL PAY ATTENTION TO ME" phase sooner. :p

I suggest that you don't let him have full run of your home at that age. Keep him in one room for a couple more weeks and only let him out if you're keeping a very close eye on him. And also, little ones like to get underfoot, so be careful.
That's what I'm doing. He doesn't seem particularly interested in exploring the rest of the home, anyway; he just walks around screaming (calling his mom/family, I presume), not really looking at things. I guess what he has now is already a bit of a handful, so I'll give him progressively more access as time passes.

Oh, by the way: he drank some milk/formula. I put some food in a small dish in which I poured some milk; I gave it to him like that, and he ate the food and lapped up some milk while he was at it.

sailahara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that you can manage to give the little one some time to adjust. I took in a little one yesterday morning, he is a little older but still is doing the meowing thing like crazy when im not in his reach. His hiding spot is under my bed. However I am like you and this is my first cat, but everyone here has helped out so much, just have patience it will pay off I'm sure! Good Luck

fallingwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pondering whether I should give him to my mom. She already has a cat, a female of no specific race whose size sorta makes you think of aircraft carriers.

She is relatively social and benign, though when she gets mad she knows how to hurt. She is currently 10 years old. She never had kittens and was sterilized young, but I hope the little furball might spark her motherly instincts and she could become sort of an adopted mom.

Do you think this is a wise idea? My worry is that she might see her territory violated and become hostile, though she hasn't shown any particular hostility to two other cats that have entered her inner sanctum (also known as my mom's home) aside from hissing a little, which I understand is normal.

I also have to overcome the obstacle of my mom, who very explicitly told me she doesn't want another cat. She is, however, just as much a sucker for tiny cute furballs as I am, so after she looks at the little one I'm expecting her to melt in a puddle of sweetness in approximately two seconds.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always work on convincing her. If she agrees give the kitten a couple weeks to get a little bigger as it is likely your mother's cat may swat at him. He also needs to have his kitten shots soon.

fallingwater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At what age does he have to have his shots? I was thinking of bringing him home to test potential mama cat's reaction (and my mom's) straight away, but I'll postpone it if he can pass something to her.

You see, the problem is that I'm supposed to go back to my mom's place next week and stay there for a month, and the kitten obviously has to come with me, so new problems arise if I have to wait longer.

Aside from that, do you think there's any chance of Miki (the potential mama cat) accepting him? What are your experiences?