very pregnant kitty cat worried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and in answer to you question catwoman707 they are still pointing out wards when you pick her up and by the scruff of the neck she seems to do a panguin thing with legs actually tucked in but feet and kness pointing out wards

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So her tucking her legs that's a good thing.

Yes, brace them then put her in water, so she will be forced to move them and exercise those muscles in the correct position/direction.

I found a pic of how I wanted you to brace her legs but was unable to save it for some reason.

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh bum i pic would have been great
anyhows while at work today i tap up one of the nurses for some catheter leg bag straps as they are velcro dont restrict movement to much and allow for growth without cutting off circulation and the best bit washable so im going to have a play tonight to see if i can make a brace for at least in the water as i dont feel tape will work as well in water i will post a pic once i figure it out as they are human size at the mo so some cutting and sewing will be required and it may not work but it might just work so thats my project for tonight

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well put Hope into the water for the first time as you can here she did not like it much but i am sure if i do it regularly she will get used to it .

unfortunately she did not try and swim :(  and i was a little concerned about her inhaling any water as she kept dipping her head in the water. i left bracing her legs this time as i wanted to see what she would do first and try and get her used to being in there before restricting her movements as you see she did not move them much hopefully we can get this in time (fingers crossed) we ended the session with a nice dry in a warm flannel and a massage so hopefully it has done some good.

as for the bracing of her legs i am feeling a bit defeated as i have tried now so many ways and not really winning managed to get it to stay early for a while by doing a figure of 8 with the tape then popped out for a short while then guess what its off again grrrrr not sure if it was her this time or mum to be honest but having a nightmare of a time just keeping it on however i do it always ends up back off after a very short while the leg bag straps did not work either she can get them off even quicker than the tape so i am at a loss for the bracing i sat and cried last night about it as i want her to walk in a normal sort of way so bad and without figuring out this bracing i know this wont happen and it brakes my heart she also is such a wriggler when i try to tape it which makes it almost impossible to do. as for the massaging she is not screaming so bad now she is getting used to it 

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems like your best bet might just be to massage her legs and work them for her as though she is swimming, only she's not in water. And do this several times a day to get them stronger and moving into the correct position.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alot of her crying is due to the feeling of being held up, if you notice you can have a baby high up and against you and they feel comfort and safe, but hold a baby out and they squirm and cry.

Babies are totally grounded until they can walk and jump, this is what they know and are used to, so lifting them up is different for them, so they hollar, some more than others.

I have to say, seeing her legs so well and how she holds them, I have total confidence that they can be straightened up, but like I said, the sooner the more effective.

Tape her thighs like in that tiny pic I posted, then put her in water, but deeper, too bad you couldn't create an innertube for around her neck!  

The deeper the water, it seems to me that it will get her to cooperate better, especially if it is just where she can set her back paws down and ground herself.........

For the bracing, how about this.

Can you take a small sock and create a sort of pant thing? I'm picturing even a stocking foot or just a smaller sock, cut the toe part off, then cut a section out of the lower half where the toe area was, cut a U shape, leaving two hanging pieces that can be sewed shut, making pant legs but with a hole for tail/butt area.

Then you can have attached a small piece of ribbon to each inner leg, and tie them together, so it will stay on all the time?

Her thighs need to start growing straight rather than so relaxed outward. Even if swimming doesn't look like it will help her, she still needs bracing asap, hoping you understand my silly creativity on making pants for her.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor little Hope.  I started watching the video with the sound off, but my Ruby came running in to see where the cat was, and I couldn't get her to understand the cat was in the computer, so I had to mute it again.

You've probably seen this video, but just in case you haven't:

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i will give it a go i am defiantly open to suggestions on the bracing as i know we need something that will stay.

i didn't want the water too deep this time as i wanted her to just get used to it first so she was not afraid of it  if you get what i mean but the video makes it look like she was toughing the bottom which she was not she was basically just floating on the top with her back legs but however it did make her muscles nice and relaxed so i could manipulate them a bit further than i was before which has got to be a good thing right.

and a head cuff what a great idea as i was really trying to keep her head out of the water i am sure i have something i can use around here.why didn't i think of that duh.

i will try again tomorrow and brace the legs and see how that goes. it is all trial and error here at the moment iam just trying everything i can and its all i think about at the moment as i don't want to stress her out to much as well as she screams at everything and if in the room with mum stresses mum out to its really hard to do what needs to be done and keep everyone happy at the moment, but i am sure it will get easier over time.

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Poor little Hope.  I started watching the video with the sound off, but my Ruby came running in to see where the cat was, and I couldn't get her to understand the cat was in the computer, so I had to mute it again.

You've probably seen this video, but just in case you haven't:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never seen that video, but yes, exactly!

However I was really thinking on my sock into pant leg thing and it would work great too.

I would not focus on so much the water thing, but her legs do need to be braced NOW and stay braced for a good week, I suggest using the tape that does not stick to her skin/fur, wrap it around her thighs then use real tape to tape the thighs together, leaving a gap of course.

Then a small piece that does stick on the front of her legs to keep the non sticking tape in place.

The cat in the video will take literally many months to hopefully correct to some degree, but they will not be able to be completely normal as yours can if they are done right now, since he is so big and not growing like a weed anymore like yours are.

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

not a great pic i know will try and get a better one later
catwoman707 you are a star i did do it a little diffrently but it works yay
i cut up a trainer sock and cut holes for legs and arms and used a bit of the cut offs to make leg which i have attached ribon to amitedly i made the arm holes a little big and had to attach a bit of velcro so she cant wriggle out but it works and she is not even trying to wriggle out of it i think we have finally figured it out

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
spoke to soon as soon as she finished feeding its off grrr back to the drawing board to your other option

Last edited:

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well micropore and celotape seem to be working at the mo but think she is tired of fighting me as i also got it on easier

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

just an update she has kept the tape on for a little longer today only had to reapply 5 times so far but have been massaging everytime she gets it off so not so much of a down side did give her a little soak earlier as i found yesterday it really relaxed her muscles so I could move them more inwards so i think even if she does not swim the massage afterwards really benefits as i can do so much more she did have her legs taped tonight but as thought before it does not last long in water but anyways i think we are seeing some progress as before as soon as i taped her legs she either wriggled it straight off or just would not use her back legs at all tonight she is trying to walk with the tape in place its been a struggle but i think we are slowly getting there

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well we are 3 weeks old toady 

Vets visit went well today both hope's and faith's legs are improving and she is happy with what we have been doing which i am over the moon about and that they are all doing really well including mum so i am happy happy happy. these little babies are getting stronger and stronger by the day and it so precious to watch.

updated weights for all are as follows

Socket is now 392 g

Faith is now 418 g

Spanner is now 444 g

and last but not least Hope is now 383 g

Last edited:

tabbybono

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Faith is all over the place with the boys hope is trying bless her think she finds it a little harder than the rest but she is getting there