Very little urine is showing up in the litter box....any possible red flags on this? I can't find urine anywhere else in the house

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First reaction, of course, is an 'outside the box' issue, but I don't believe that's the case. Eating / acting normally, but simply no urine (or very little) to scoop out as usual (typically a good bit of it). I DO, however, seem to recall going through this whole thing before. I have stopped adding as much water to her canned food (always add some since I mix in the contents on an antinol pill once a day). Worth a vet appointment if it continues I'd say. Thanks for any thoughts.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much is very little? Like just smaller than usual clumps? Or teeny tiny pea like size clumps. The later could suggest a UTI, and would definitely require a vet checkup. She could also have a blockage. Or be dehydrated. So if you are positive she's not peeing somewhere other than the litter box, I think I would, to ease your mind, call your vet and see if they think she should be looked at or not.

Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet - TheCatSite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto all of the above. First question from me - any outside access where she can go instead of in the litter box? Can you recall the previous situation(s) after thinking about it for a while? That would be helpful. And, checking everywhere you possibly can inside away from the litter box, if outdoor access is not available.

Yes, it could be a UTI, not all cats have all the obvious outward signs of one. My cat rarely showed any changes in behavior, and yet still would test positive for a UTI. Also, as mentioned above, the biggest issue, mostly for male cats, is becoming semi-blocked from crystals/stones in their urethra, but it can happen to females too. How old is she? When was her last vet checkup?

Why reduce her water intake in her food? Does her water intake pick up by drinking from water dishes when her moisture is reduced in her food? Is she still on Antinol? If not, she could truly be peeing elsewhere as her joints are bothering her and she is avoiding the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has this been going on?
Did it happen all of a sudden?
How much was she peeing in a day compared to now?
Just noticed it when cleaning out the litter box yesterday, and again today. Previous to that, all normal amount of urine (typically quite a bit). Uses her box several times a day...no idea if she's always peeing each time!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she not producing any pee at all now?
Does she keep going to the litter box but can't pee?
Is she frequently going to the box and only peeing a very little bit
Have you done the "tent test" where you pull up on the skin on the scruff of her neck and see if it snaps back down or does it go back slowly?

Is she drinking?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why reduce her water intake in her food?
She seemed to be getting finicky about eating her canned food if it's too soupy, so all I did is not add / mix as much water in it. Plenty of water in the food to begin with. She also gets dry food several times a day. In all she eats 7 times a day. Spacing it out seems to help reduce amount of vomiting. Been doing that for several years.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she not producing any pee at all now?
Does she keep going to the litter box but can't pee?
Is she frequently going to the box and only peeing a very little bit
Have you done the "tent test" where you pull up on the skin on the scruff of her neck and see if it snaps back down or does it go back slowly?
How would I know the answer to the first 3 questions? Tent test is fine....skin goes right back. I'm not seeing hardly any urine in either of her two boxes. Maybe a little at best. As to whether or not she CAN pee.....how to know this? I'm not hearing any moaning or other noises as to her being in pain, struggling, etc.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take her in. My cat did this and I thought UTI. Had a vet appt scheduled and before that appt he peed out big clots. Sooner the better if you're concerned!

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sooner the better if you're concerned!
I'm surely concerned, but DO seem to recall going through this whole thing before but then it must have resolved. I'll check the box frequently and see what's in there!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend taking her in to a vet. The sooner the better. A sudden change urine output is a cause for concern.
If you need to call the vet and ask them what they say if they think you should bring her in.

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A normal pee for clumping litter is about the size of a golf ball, give or take. When I used to add water to my cat's food, she used to make bigger pees or peed more often. Now, with no added water, she makes maybe 4-6 golf balls every 24 hours.

If your cat is going into the litter box more times than she is using it, that sounds like she is having trouble going to the bathroom and definitely should see a vet. Attempting to use a litter box and not actually using it is a sign of a problem.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At most I'd say, yes, real small clumps. Not the usual large saturated areas that are a noticeably darker color than the rest of the litter.
If multiple teeny clumps, that's what Ruby was like when she had a UTI. She needed antibiotics to clear it up.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A wifi motion activated security camera on the litterbox is a blessing for situations like this. I use ones with sdcards b/c most of the cloud storage ones either cost too much or will only do like 20 second clips...I want minimum 5 minute clips. A camera will show you if your kitty is even going to the litter box and if so if they're straining.

As I type this, I just got a notification from one of our litter boxes that my girl is doing a litter :) It's a new box and she hates change more than most cats so being able to see how and what she is doing has really helped this transition.