Very Little Newborn Persian Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is paraffin oil? How does this work?

I really hope that mom is stimulating the kitten and licking the poop. That would be best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ye, i hope too that she would do it but everyone just doesnt fit for moms it seems :/

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
nay, these suppositories are widely used, receptfree everywhere. For hard poo etc, usually in humans.

Otherwise you can surely ask you vet prescribe it.

Google, its surely glycerin, glycerine . International language.

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
nay, these suppositories are widely used, receptfree everywhere. For hard poo etc, usually in humans.

Otherwise you can surely ask you vet prescribe it.

Google, its surely glycerin, glycerine . International language.

Do you mean something like Microlax enemas?

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tell me about this oil.
This is what i found on wikipedia about that

Usage and side effects
Liquid paraffin is considered to have a limited usefulness as an occasional laxative, but is unsuitable for regular use as it can seep from the anus and cause irritation.[citation needed] It can also interfere with the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins[citation needed], be absorbed into the intestinal wall[citation needed], and may cause foreign-body granulomatous reactions.[citation needed] If it enters the lungs, it can cause lipoid pneumonia.[1]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, I didnt say Microlax enemax. although I suppose its OK to use too, when it come time for enema.
I dont have no sure experience nor knowledge, but I know someone used it and it was OK.

I was talking about glycerine suppositories "cone" to put into the behind. With kittens, you make a thin "needle" to put in.

Re liquid paraffine: As said on wikipedia, it shall not be used on daily basis, its for occasional usage. So the theoretical drawbacks doenst matter much.
And yes, you must be double careful with giving it, even more than when feeding milk. You dont want it into the lungs... Even less than you want to risk milk into lungs.

Good you try to be seek yourself - and be critical! :)

You learned to give a tube into the stomach? This is the safest method, if done properly - also for liquid paraffine.

I have found my e-mail to the TriKem paraffine oil producer. Where they confirm the leather paraffine is essentially the same as their veterinary paraffine, its really just the bottle which differs. They sell to the Nordic countries - thus including Finland. They also have a web shop.
A quick google shows several vetzoo shops do carry it too...

A bottle is much when you need just one or two doses. But the rest you can always use for leather care. :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my kittens were tiny and suffering from constipation, I gave mineral oil (I already had it). It took about 5 drops total throughout the day, but within 24 hours, I had poop.
I didn't mess with adding it to milk, I gave it directly using a syringe. About 2 drops an hour before I fed. Then again....and again.

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll go pick that liquid paraffin tomorrow since all petstores and pharmacies are now closed.

Until that i will try to massage him after every meal he gets from mom.

144g is his weight at the moment.

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight now 152g.

StefanZ StefanZ Now i have a 200ML bottle of liquid paraffin. How much should I give this for the kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would suggest no more than 1-2 drops one time today. See what happens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with a little later on you can give again

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ Sarthur2 Sarthur2

The boy still havent pooped. I have given the liquid paraffin for him everyday 1-2 drops and stimulated him.

His weight is 206g at the moment. His eyes havent started to open yet. (Its day 12 today.)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can give somewhat more than these 2 drops a day. Double this. Try also with this glycerine suppositories - Im sure you can find it!

Next step will be enema, I think, ie flushing in the behind. Its usually the vet whom does it - but its fully possible to do it at home too.

Unless momma is eating up the poo, but you dont think so, as you are looking.

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can give somewhat more than these 2 drops a day. Double this. Try also with this glycerine suppositories - Im sure you can find it!

Next step will be enema, I think, ie flushing in the behind. Its usually the vet whom does it - but its fully possible to do it at home too.

Unless momma is eating up the poo, but you dont think so, as you are looking.
Yesterday was first time when I saw mama licking her baby and I havent been so much anymore in the same room so that's plausible that mama is eating it up.

BTW. Do you happen to know IxiDixi's or Ormeryd's catteries in Sweden?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, I dont know these catteries. Do you want I google? As I do read swedish, I can more easily see what is on their sites. Or if they are mentioned elsewhere. They are persians?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think mom is cleaning up the baby's poop. You just don't see it.

Do not give more paraffin. It's 12 days and the baby is doing well.

Continue as you have been.

Sereny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I dont know these catteries. Do you want I google? As I do read swedish, I can more easily see what is on their sites. Or if they are mentioned elsewhere. They are persians?
Yes they are persians and from sweden. Our mamas papa is from ixidixis and mama is ormeryds. Also papa cat has ormeryds blood in him. :)