(Very Late) Question of The Day. Saturday 11th April.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been cooking more only because I moved and I now actually have counter space to do it and I also ordered some meal delivery boxes. My eating, in general, has been terrible though because I feel all frazzled and have trouble putting together a plan on what I need to do each day, so planned meals are not even on my radar right now. I end up just eating a lot of junk.
How are you liking your new house?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're eating worse than before. I hate it. It's because grocery shopping has become a really big problem for us. A lot of items I count on being in the stores just are not making it there, things which are healthier, special type of bread my husband needs for his diabetes for example. There is also a component of anxiety/boredom mixed in with this too. And third, working from home actually has made my life more busy, not less. I feel like I have no routine anymore. It's just one long day of working and then I suddenly realize I forgot to pull something out of the freezer to cook for dinner until it's too late and we wind up calling in food instead which is deadly because nothing healthy comes from delivery. I'm exhausted mentally and don't even want to cook either.

I was doing really well for almost 2 years now and the past few weeks have just been bad bad bad. Grocery shopping has become something I dread because I know I'm just going to be disappointed, spend too much money and not even come away with anything I actually want or need.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been making little one serving casseroles in the toaster oven. My mother is finally being less controlling, at least about meals, and I usually make my own lunch and dinner now, unless they are having something vegetarian that looks interesting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And third, working from home actually has made my life more busy, not less. I feel like I have no routine anymore. It's just one long day of working and then I suddenly realize I forgot to pull
Working from home is not all it is cracked up to be. I had worked from home before for 2 or 3 years and had voluntarily gone back into the office. Before all of this I had started this half and half thing between home and the office and I really liked that. I now only go into the office one day a week. It does kind of leave you in a permanent state of confusion because there is no line between work and home.

Joshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't made much difference actually, it's a bit annoying that pasta and pasta sauce is not available though, not that I was going to make it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you liking your new house?
Thanks for asking! It's been pretty good. My cats have settled in very well. I feel like Maisie has definitely flourished in a bigger space. She actually came out of hiding when my parents were over a couple of weeks ago. There have been some maintenance issues with a broken water softener and really bad calcification because of it, so my dad put in a new one and I used CLR on everything I could. The dishwasher, as a result, looks like perfection. My upstairs tub is a different story though and I'll have to replace the faucet because the calcification was really bad that the diverter broke so I can't use the shower. I've been using the basement shower, which I'm not a huge fan of, but at least I have that option.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking! It's been pretty good. My cats have settled in very well. I feel like Maisie has definitely flourished in a bigger space. She actually came out of hiding when my parents were over a couple of weeks ago. There have been some maintenance issues with a broken water softener and really bad calcification because of it, so my dad put in a new one and I used CLR on everything I could. The dishwasher, as a result, looks like perfection. My upstairs tub is a different story though and I'll have to replace the faucet because the calcification was really bad that the diverter broke so I can't use the shower. I've been using the basement shower, which I'm not a huge fan of, but at least I have that option.
I have been through some of that. It’s frustrating because you move in thinking everything is ok and then things start breaking. But it sounds like your dad is handy and can fix things for you - or teach you how. It’s all a part of making it yours.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're eating pretty normally, I already had a freezer full of meat and like to cook. A lot of the restaurants in my town are doing take out only so we are trying to support the local places as much as we can once or twice a week.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating about the same amount but lots more canned stuff. I’m not a big fan of canned foods but with nothing fresh on the shelves I am learning how to improve the flavors. I don’t go out often but I’m happy when I find canned goods lately! Spices are really helping and using things like orange marmalade to add to chicken, rice etc. gives me some variety in flavoring. I am hoping the next time I get out to find some fresh fruit.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm cooking more, with having more time (although I'm retired...but none of my usual out of the home activities) and more complex than usual. Unfortunately I'm eating more.
But it's more complete meals, and good fresh veggies. And, unfortunately, heading to drive through at Dairy Queen for the excitement of Blizzards and Peanut Buster Parfaits and seeing a human being when I pay.
And it's snowing here today and tomorrow so can't do yardwork either for some exercise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
And I'm really, really missing perishable produce like salads, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, etc.
Me too! I have a lot of potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage and pumpkin wrapped in newspaper in a cardboard box. They last for ages that way.

I miss salads though. I bought a load of hard green avocado the last time I went shopping and had the fun of checking those every day, waiting for them to ripen.

:yummy: