Vaccinations - Yay or Nay?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marc999 I agree with cprcheetah, he should not be given anymore vaccines, I would NOT give the FELV vax and would give him an FVRCP in 3-4 years being an indoor only kitty. I also wouldn't worry about future rabies, that is of course unless it is required by law where you live.

How's things goin with your new boy?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks ok, I didn't notice double post - if I did, I appreciate the extra attention! :) 

Hmm, well then.  I gave the shelter info. to the Vet. I went to - and it called for shots a month later, so I suppose he was just following my shelter's advice and my request.  

And here I though all cats had to have the first 3 rounds of shots, no matter the age.  Aside from money incentive, why would he go ahead and do that to an adult cat? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mosimom, all of my cats and kittens in my rescue are vaccinated on their right side, just above their arm.

This became a ritual due to the rare chance of sarcoma forming from a vaccine and the arm can be removed rather than another area that can not be, like the scruff for instance.

As I said prior, this has become pretty rare, but not impossible either, so just to be safe.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things are going ok.

I'm applying both eye and ear drops, for minor inflammation (pink eye) and scratching respectively.  He's still scratching and sometimes head shaking, but less each day, I think. Tested negative for ear mites so perhaps it just takes time for that Revolution / Strongid T to work?  

The drops are 2 weeks worth so I'm sure they'll help over time. 

Hopefully the poop sample will be ok, I'll get an update in 2 weeks time. 

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the FVRCP vaccine....shot or nasal spray??? (For the 1 yr booster)

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely shot.

Nasal vaccines should be used on very small/young kittens only who may have exposure to multiple cats. Kittens who are vaccinated too young with the shot still have natural antibodies from momma which make the shot pointless, as it fights this off as well, so the nasal is used.