US Ex-pat w. new stray needs help - kitty won't eat! :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monday Night Update

Well, today was a pleasant surprise. My university had some sort of holiday or another today and canceled classes. No one felt it necessary to inform the white guy, but I figured it out when I was the only guy in the building at 8am!

This allowed me to finally head out and explore a huge store here in Shenyang called Metro. It's a Sam's Club or Costco type place, and another ex-pat had gotten me a membership. I found exactly what I was looking for - a large plastic pan that would serve perfectly as a litterbox, and better yet it was on sale!

You may recall that up until this point I had been using a cardboard box with the sides trimmed down and lined with plastic. It was a pretty poor substitute to begin with, and things only went downhill once Slooty decided she liked to rake her claws across the plastic!

Anyhow, I've got a real litterbox now - and boy is Daddy happy!

I also was able to spend a long day just hanging out with the girls - my fiancee is away for job training this week so it's just the three of us. We had a great time!

Despite their somewhat ragged appearances (ringworm!), they're little tigers and spent the entire day goofing off and napping.

Slooty is still too big for Luna to match up with very well when they wrestle, so I rescued Luna a few times when Big Sloo was starting to play too rough. Once Slooty konked out for a nap though Luna came over and wrestled with me! She knows that daddy isn't going to play too hard!

Slooty and I played an excellent game of hide & seek this morning, but as the picture shows, she still has a lot to learn about how best to hide...

She gets points for creativity, but didn't quite manage to pull it off... can you find my kitten?

Gotcha cat! Go hide somewhere else! "Ok daddy!"

Gotta love these longhaired cats - they look about 3x as big as they really are once you compress all that fur. It's hard to believe she could fit in there, but there was plenty of room to spare!

Thanksgiving is over, and Christmas is right around the corner... come December 1st there will be a green, triangular, plastic kitten (Christmas) tree dominating our tiny living room!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shad

This picture of Luna is just priceless.

Daddy's little girl.

later edit...
Oh...that Slooty's tail. Just a cute as can be.

A good litter pan makes life easier for all concerned.

When you change their litter and clean the pan, be sure that you don't use any cleaners that contain phenols which are toxic to cats.
The thread below is a discussion about this issue.
Posts# 7, #10 & #11, will explain.
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthr...light=pine+sol

Slooty and Luna are so lucky to have a loving Daddy like you Andrew.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha! That picture cracks me up! What a silly girl!

And a surprise day off! It doesn't get any better than that, does it?

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whew! A day off!! It would have been nicer had you known you could sleep in...but hey it's a day you really needed! I get exhausted just reading about your work schedule

That's a great pic of Slooty
I have a long haired white kitten too and you're right about the amount of fur. It makes them look so much bigger!

We put up our Christmas tree and decorations last Friday and I was afraid that ours would end up on the floor and considered to be Zoe's own personal tree, but she's done great so far and has only needed to be shooed away a couple of times. She likes to lay under it with the lights on....it's really cute! Have fun decorating!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you finally got a bit of a break, Andrew, and found a proper litterbox! Metro is a German chain - I had no idea they had stores in China. That picture of Luna's tail is great. Talk about a dead giveaway!

You might be able to find Christmas ornaments at Metro. I'd recommend unbreakable ones, though. Our Jamie likes to spend his nights taking down the tree decorations and hiding them, so we use cloth, pewter, or sturdy wooden ornaments only. Metro should have wooden or straw ones, which are a very "German" thing.

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tuesday Night Update

Thank you for the ornament tips, I'll keep them in mind when I go back tomorrow for the real spree!

That's not Lil Luna in that box you guys, that's Big Sloo! She couldn't move at all! She climbed in, and then realized she couldn't even turn her head. She sat there for a minute or two, long enough for me to grab the camera and snap that picture, and then stood up and squeezed back out.

Tomorrow I will have a few new pictures. Also, starting tomorrow I will switch to an every-other-day update cycle. As far as these two have come, this thread is beginning to have very little relevance to Health & Nutrition. I don't want to disrespect the forum guidelines, and the snowballs are doing great, so I'll slow down on the posts unless they regress and I have something definitely on-topic to discuss.

Goodnight everyone, pictures tomorrow!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good...
more pictures are on the way.

Please give your fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e a hug and a thank you from us,
for all that she is doing for your sweeties.
I am amazed at the progress you are making with your two adorable snowballs.

Stay warm

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adding my healing thoughts, prayers, and good vibes to everyone else's and thanking you and your fiancee for being so loving and caring and committed to this precious kitten. Please keep us informed of her progress. You have advice aplenty so I won't add to it, except to say to try to keep her warm and calm and let her know she is much loved. This is often the most powerful incentive to a kitten to eat!

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wednesday Night Update

Someone mentioned far, far up-thread that grooming is actually just another way to exert dominance. As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer a Battle of Tongues to a Battle of Bite-You-On-The-Head any day of the week!
With that said, let the pictures begin... (kittens are great!)

Believe it or not - and if you saw how much they wrestle & fight you probably wouldn't - these two do occasionally have quiet time together...

They spent the entire day Monday (my unexpected day-off) in this chair - alternating between snoozing together and biting each other's heads... this is a picture of the former...

After all the hardwork snoozing and biting, it was time for baths... big sister, by virtue of weighing twice what lil sister does, was in charge...

You'd be amazed how hard it is to get a picture of a cat grooming intentionally taken at the exact moment where you can best see its tongue...

Sometimes submission is better than resistance...

Goodnight everyone, I'll be back on Friday.

PS - Slooty gave my fiancee an early Christmas present... she has a confirmed case of Ring Worm on her face just in front of her left ear... she is NOT happy
The chances that Daddy will also eventually get it are excellent, but in the meantime he is trying his best not to laugh in mommy's presence...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww... I love little Lu's face! She is just adorable. I think forced grooming is a sign of dominance - someone with more expertise can correct me if I am wrong. We had a cat - sweet, sweet boy - who would play with some of the larger kittens - he would pin them and groom them - eventho' he was a doll baby I guess he felt the need to assert his authority!

And yes, ringworm is very contagious. I'm sorry to hear that your fiancee is striken.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What adorable pics of them! I am always amazed still at how far these girls have come when I see them.

Sorry about your fiance getting ringworm....you are very wise to not laugh where she can hear you!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

Sorry about your fiance getting ringworm....you are very wise to not laugh where she can hear you!
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Would that include Ringworm?

Big Sloo and Lil Luna

Meow

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in on our kittens and you too Andrew.

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friday Night Update

The fluff-balls are doing fine. I did a little bit of Christmas present wrapping tonight. Working 7 days a week as I do, I don't have much free time, and need to take advantage of it when I get it. So yes, I was wrapping presents on Nov 30th.

Anyhow, Luna was very well-behaved, perched as she was on the edge of the bed looking over my shoulder as I wrapped presents on the floor. Slooty? Not so much...

Slooty, it seems, has an appetite for wrapping paper! No matter how many times I pulled her away, even by the scruff of her neck, she just HAD to come back and try and chew the paper! I finally got her to quit it by sticking a rather large piece of tape to her right front paw. This made her immediately go bananas and begin zooming laps around the house furiously shaking her foot to get the tape off.

Anyhow, the artificial tree is now up and I'm quite pleased with how it looks. Thus far the cats are wholly uninterested, but we haven't decorated it yet. I have a feeling that once some small bells and blinking lights are here and there they'll take a little more notice of things...

Goodnight everyone, see you on Sunday!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Slooty, it seems, has an appetite for wrapping paper! No matter how many times I pulled her away, even by the scruff of her neck, she just HAD to come back and try and chew the paper! I finally got her to quit it by sticking a rather large piece of tape to her right front paw. This made her immediately go bananas and begin zooming laps around the house furiously shaking her foot to get the tape off.

Goodnight everyone, see you on Sunday!
You descriptions of Big Sloo's kitty frenzies, crack me up.

Sunday it is.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Friday Night Update

! I finally got her to quit it by sticking a rather large piece of tape to her right front paw. This made her immediately go bananas and begin zooming laps around the house furiously shaking her foot to get the tape off.
Shad - I do believe this is called the fine art of distraction!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How have I missed this thread?!?! Holy TWO WHITE KITTIES!!!

Congrats, thanks for taking them in.....if you've got questions on Ringworm I've been there like 8 times with one kitty, so feel free to PM me!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just checking in....

Wrapping paper, expensive gifts, tape ...... two kittens, a fabulous combination.

I would love to see Slooty whizzing around with tape on her foot!!! Ziggy ended up with tape on her foot once, although she ended us running all over the wrapping paper!!

Glad they are doing okay!

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sunday Night Update

The artificial Christmas tree was setup Friday at lunchtime and trimmed Saturday night. Thus far the cats have stayed out of the tree, to my amazement... but they've definitely declared war on the ornaments!
Daddy was expecting this though... in fact, he went so far as to buy 4 sets of little tin bells to hang on the lower branches at the very end of their reach to drive them crazy.

So far, it's working.

Luna has now got the beginnings of ringworm in two spots on her face - above her left eye and above her left lip - poor kitty. If you're keeping score at home, that means Slooty, Mommy, and now Luna are all fungusfaces... only Daddy remains free of infestation.
Daddy believes this is clearly due to his superior bathing habits, although Mommy disagrees with that assessment

Early in the morning during the last few nights, around 3am, Luna has joined us in bed and curled up right against my shoulder or neck for a snooze. She clearly loves this spot she's found, because she purrs like a chainsaw once she gets settled in. I love my kitten dearly, and the cuteness of waking up with her nuzzled against me is undeniable... but she purrs so loudly that I can't fall back asleep!

Ok, I'm not really complaining, just sharing my love for these two with you!

Goodnight everyone!