US Ex-pat w. new stray needs help - kitty won't eat! :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thursday Night Update

A million thanks to all of you for your continual vigilence, fortunately though this is one case where you needn't worry. While Luna is still underweight after being sick for the better part of 3 weeks, and a homeless kitten before that, her nose just kinda does it's own thing. It varies from that icy white to a cute little pink and back again, and I've yet to find any real pattern.

Here's a picture of the fuzzball taking a nap this afternoon with a noticeably pink sniffer...

Slooty actually joined her for the nap, and in a very entertaining pose as well...

The photo showing both of them is too cute to let Rosiemac downsize
, so I'm just going to include a direct link for you to click if you'd like...

Slooty & Luna napping on the bed, only 140kb.

While Slooty still occasionally plays a little too rough with Luna, usually all it takes is a whine from Luna and she'll let up. They really've got a great relationship though, Slooty has taken to grooming her little sister. It's adorable to walk into the bedroom and find Lil Lu buried head first into Big Sloo's chest getting the back of her head carefully licked by her big sis!

They both had very dirty ears when we got them, and despite mommy's persistence with the q-tips they seem to always become dirty again. I finally had a forehead-slapping moment and realized that it was likely ear mites. Some reading on the internet confirmed that suspicion - these two are "coffee ground" factories. They aren't scratching though, which is good. I've added an anti-mite drop called Revolution to the shopping list for Dad, in the meantime we'll just continue carefully cleaning them!

Goodnight everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving if you're from North America!

EDIT - forgot to add that I did the gums test, no problems!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh look at that lovely little pink button nose now, not to mention those cute little pink lips, awwww!!!

Their looking fantastic Andrew. So much healthier

And Slooty's grooming her sister awwww. It's a good job My Rosie wasn't there because she'd have them both pinned down for a good wash because she's the main groomer in my house

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like Luna has a nose that indicates her moods.

That will be very handy.

Your girls will feel much more comfortable when their ear mite infestation is cleared up.

Your little snow balls look right at home on your bed.
They love your children's quilt.

I hope that you and your fiancée realize that they are slowly training you to respond to their every need and desire...
not the other way around.
Soon you will be adjusting your sleeping positions so that Luna & Slooty won't be disturbed.

It dosen't matter where we are located on our little blue marble called Earth,
we can all pause and take a moment to be grateful of what we have.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When one cat is grooming the other cat's head, the cat that is doing the grooming is asserting it's dominance. What you think is those two just being sisterly, is actually slooty showing loona who is the boss.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shheeeew!! Thank goodness!! I guess I need to change my pessimistic attitude!!
Look at those bellys'! Oh, how I'd love to get a hold of those two!! They are just little Angels!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving! The girls look good, in fact, great, compared to when you first started posting. I hope you get the Revolution soon, so you can kill off those pesky mites.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read this whole thread for the first time and all I can say is you are awesome! Slooty and Luna look great, and definitely would not have survived if it was not for you and your fiance. Thank you so much for saving them!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't help but notice the plant in the one photo. Is that an azalea? If it is, be careful... they are poisonous to cats.

Its so great to see how they are growing and getting better with every passing day. Keep posting the updates.

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friday Night Update

Geez, nice catch on the azalea. I feel like a complete idiot for overlooking that one. It's already out of the apartment, sitting by a window in the hall outside.

Slooty and Luna were fine today, we had some flurries again in the morning and I was envious of their determined napping on our bed as I laced up my boots to head out to work.

Hope everyone in the States is having a great TG weekend!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

I couldn't help but notice the plant in the one photo. Is that an azalea? If it is, be careful... they are poisonous to cats.
I see that Shad confirmed it was an azala plant.

Excellent call.

You and your FiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e have a wonderful weekend Andrew.
Don't work to hard and stay warm.

Snuggles to Slooty and Luna

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saturday Night Update

The kittens are snoozing happily - Luna with Mommy in bed and Slooty on the doormat in the hallway where she can enjoy the draft of cold air under the door.

The azalea had been there the whole time, I gave it to my fiancee as a gift when she returned from Beijing... oh well!

Both girls had minced boiled chicken breast for dinner, with a little bit of the Friskies dry kitten chow mixed in.

Nothing to report really, other than that it's freaking cold over here (I'm from Tampa, FL originally...) and that I'm exhausted from work. New Years will be my next day off... can I start counting the days yet?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a goal that you are working toward that energizes your extreme work schedule?

When you get home in the evening, it must be wonderful to be greeted by your precious family.

Snow babies.....
Slooty and Luna...

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its nice and warm in tampa right now!
The high today is 83 with a low in the 60s....

I only noticed the plant because when you have a mother with a degree in horticulture, somethings rub off on you...

I am still shocked by the culture differances. If I lived over there, everyone would think I was crazy for how many animals I have. (Some people over here think I'm crazy as it is) It just amazes me.

Keep the posts coming!!

shad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Do you have a goal that you are working toward that energizes your extreme work schedule?
I've got lots

Short Term: My fiancee quit her job in Beijing and moved back to Shenyang (here) and is still undergoing training at her new job - which means I'm the only bread-winner.

Medium Term: We will be married in July 08 and in China the children pay for the wedding so we have 8 months left to save up for that!

Long Term: I have a $30,000 outstanding graduate school loan to pay back. 30K isn't too much trouble for someone with a master's degree on a Western income... but on a Chinese income it's an albatross!

But I've got a roof over my head, tasty food in my belly, a wonderful fiancee (and soon to be wife!), great future in-laws, and two awesome kittens ... so I'm doing ok!

Regarding the little ones - Luna the princess has decided Tuna is beneath her and has been going chicken-only this weekend. Slooty, bless her heart, is just a food vacuum. They're both plenty healthy except for the ring worm and fleas

Some new pictures tomorrow, promise!

Goodnight!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your goals with us...
I wish I had been as disciplined as you are, when I was young.

Slooty is a furry food vacuum and Luna, her petite sister, has more refined tastes?

It always a joy to watch kittens develop their own purr-sonalities.

It definitely is time for more pictures of your sweeties.