Urgent vibes and prayers needed for feralvr's Perla!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, thank GOODNESS she was already on Baytril! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I am so glad! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Yey for Reglan for doing its magic too! :bigthumb:
Yeah, Salmonella and e.coli don't show up in regular blood tests....... I am so so glad your vet was already treating her for it :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
YES :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Carolina - THANK YOU SO MUCH for mentioning this to Laurie (and talking with Jen - thank you to her too :hugs:) Anyway - funny thing is Doc already had Perla started on the Baytril/Metro drip :D. It is working and I will follow up with the Baytril when she get's home too. :nod: Having everyone's support and concern means SO much to me... :hugs::hugs::hugs::heart3:

More later when I get her home... :lovegrin2:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR YOUR PRAYERS/VIBES - THEY ARE WORKING :touch: :touch: :heart3:

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just read all this for the first time and I am so sorry you have had all this to deal with over Chri9stmas. Many many vibes that you find the cause and they both make a full recovery.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:princess: Perla is HOME :banana1: :banana2: :woohoo:.......... :sigh: I am totally wiped out emotionally and physically from this weekend. That was one of the hardest thing's I have ever had to do - drop one of my babies off at the vet to stay while I had to go away when they were that ill :(. Sorry this is long - and you don't have to read it :lol3: Because it might not make any sense because I am so tired - so sorry if it is confusing :confused:

Everyone at the clinic just adored her :heart3:- how could they not :D. We do not nor will we ever really know what has happened to her or what caused this. It was almost like she was poisened. And the Clavamox did not help matters :shame: The vet explained that it is possible the Clavamox killed all of the good bacteria in her digestive system and allowed the "salmonella" to take over. IF...... it was that. It is very odd that Wilbur and Perla both had that severe diarrhea the same two day's. Last Friday and Saturday. Wilbur is all better now - he recovered quickly.

Here are my thought's:

1. Viral infection two week's ago (from distermper) - put on Clavamox - wiped out her "good" bacteria which allowed (if it was this) the salmonella to overtake her system.
2. The raw food she has been eating - Bravo (pork meat) most likely since this was recent. OR Nature's Variety Beef patties ( unlikely - as I have been feeding this to Wilbur and my cat's on and off for month's)
3. Fancy Feast Grilled beef, chicken or turkey flavors
4. Switch to Wilderness chicken weight management dry four week's ago (I have to feed a little dry - because when I travel I have to leave dry out for Perla - she is terrified of the petsitter and would never eat - so I have to leave dry out in the feeder's)
5. Distemper vaccine - December 5 (which was the start of all of this - a coincidence :dk:...... not sure)

Wilbur (my old baby :heart3: dog) and Perla both have recently eaten the same thing - they are my finicky eater's. They only thing that they have eaten that the other's have not IS the Fancy Feast. BUT....... in the last two week's I have seen Presley puke - and Perkin's puke too. Only once or twice though. Pipsqueak had explosive diarrhea for one day two week's ago as did Perkin's for one day. So just because Wilbur and Perla are the only one's eating the Fancy Feast - the other's have had some sort of digestive upset as well. The other's have eaten WAIT A MINUTE :lol3: - Pipsqueak does NOT eat any raw food what-so-ever. Flat out refuses it. It is possible (and I wouldn't put it past Pipsqueak) to have "sympathy" diarrhea for Perla. OR it was just stress diarrhea from having to watch Perla having real bad diarrhea two week's ago. So that only leaves the Wilderness that they have all had in common. :argh: This is just all too confusing. I have NO idea what has caused these problem's in my household. I only hope that this will be resolved quickly. I can tell you, I am worried about feeding raw, feeding Fancy Feast, and Wilderness. OR this could just really be a VIRUS of unknown origin and have nothing to do with the food's. I can tell you I will never, ever use Clavamox again, especially on Perla. Pipsqueak has never had an issue with it. But I will be way too worried to ever use it on anyone else.

Tonight I had to syringe feed Perla some I/D and A/D. 1/2 ounce of I/D and 1/2 ounce of A/D. She refuses to eat but is really acting quite happy to be home and acting normal. Just no appetite. What can I give her to boost her appetitie without upsetting her sensitive digestive tract at the moment? Fortiflora.....? I am having a very hard time syringing food. She squirms - back's up - shakes her head - and I don't want to stress her out. I even tried wrapping her in a towel - NOPE - she got loose. I guess I will need to get that cat bag. will try to find Carolina's thread on where to get a cat bag. Better to have one on hand for situation's like this.

Tonight I plan on confining her to the foster room - just for the nighttime for a couple of day's. I will sleep in there with her too. I need to see if she will eat anything on her own. I really, really, really wish I could offer her Fancy Feast - just to see if she will eat. But I can't risk it. She also loves Stella/Chewey's freeze-dried raw cubes - but I am almost worried to give her those too. She eats some of those each day too. I just have to stick to one food for her for awhile - but I need to find a wet food she loves that does NOT contain Tuna :frusty: That's right - the only wet she will eat is Best Friend's Feline (all tuna based) and Fancy Feast. :sigh:

So far she has kept down her meds. Which are Orbax (gentler on the system than Baytril) and Metronidazole. I gave her meds right after I syringed her some food.

Thank you all very much for your kind thought's and words. Thank's for reading my rambling - if you got this far :flail:..... Will let you know how she does overnight :cross: OH funny - :princess: Perla will ONLY let Pipsqueak groom her. No one else can come near her. And thankfully, they are staying away. I think they know she mean's "business" :wife: :bat: :lol3:

Last edited:

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't mess with Perla. 

Sending major TCS vibes for a quick, easy recovery....

Perla 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lauren, that IS confusing! I suspect you'll never really know.

If you have any of the Bravo roll (or bought more than one, they're likely the same lot from the manufacturer), you COULD give some to the vet to send out like they would a fecal to test for salmonella. Same with one of the cans of Fancy Feast. :nod: It might not give you an answer - but it could rule things out. :dk:

I'm just SO glad you're home, and Perla is home with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And GREAT to hear Wilbur's fine now!!!! :clap:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Get some MUCH NEEDED rest!!!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a crazy, tumultuous month you've had, Lauren! Seems like all of you have been put through the ringer! 

I'm so glad everyone's home, safe and sound and on the mend. Go, Perla, you tough girl!!

Something that might make you feel more comfortable with at least one of the foods you're offering - Stella and Chewy's uses the same method of eliminating pathogens that Nature's Variety does on their raw foods... and NV guarantees their foods are pathogen-free. In addition, S&C also has every single batch of their foods tested for pathogens by a third-party lab.

If pathogens cause you concern, this should give you all the confidence you need to feed S&C.

Sending many thoughts and prayers that ALL your furbabies get back to a stable, healthy state ASAP!!!!!

AC

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lauren, that IS confusing! I suspect you'll never really know.
If you have any of the Bravo roll (or bought more than one, they're likely the same lot from the manufacturer), you COULD give some to the vet to send out like they would a fecal to test for salmonella. Same with one of the cans of Fancy Feast. :nod: It might not give you an answer - but it could rule things out. :dk:
I'm just SO glad you're home, and Perla is home with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And GREAT to hear Wilbur's fine now!!!! :clap:
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Get some MUCH NEEDED rest!!!!
:yeah:
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
Oh Lauren, I have been worried sick, and sick worried..... It is so horrible to be away when they are sick... I remember receiving the diagnostics for :rbheart: Gracie's :rbheart: Congestive Heart Failure from my vet when I was in Florida.... sitting in a meeting room with my boss.... you just feel so powerless..... I am so so glad you are now home with your babies :hugs:
Yes, Clavamox can be a beast - it is in my "NO" list here in my house because of what happened to Bugsy.... God forbid he had a Salmonella issue at that time.... I don't think he would have made it :/ It completely destroys their digestive flora in a way, that leaves them totally defenseless. Bugsy's own bad bacterial flora took over and it was a complete mess - I am afraid I will deal with it for a long while....
I have 2 bags - the one I use for Bugsy is this one: The Cat Sack It is a strong, sturdy bag, and no claws will go through them. This is a bag that will last a lifetime.....
This one - Klaw Kontrol - is, to me, the best bag out there, as far as being cat friendly. They do run small. But cats are not scared of them, they are more flexible, and I find them easier to use..... For a beginner, I would definitely recommend Klaw Kontrol. I have had other brands too, but these to me are the best ones.....
I hope from now on Perla Wilbur and Pips just continue to get better and better..... and that your 2012 is filled with much happiness and health..... no worries and no illnesses........ only good stuff :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Oh, and yes, I think you asked about Fortiflora to entice them to eat? MAGIC - pure magic! :clap::clap::clap: (extremely addictive though, so get ready for some intervention :lol3:)
:hugs:

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Perla is ok and that she is home with you

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
Oh Lauren, I have been worried sick, and sick worried..... It is so horrible to be away when they are sick... I remember receiving the diagnostics for :rbheart: Gracie's :rbheart: Congestive Heart Failure from my vet when I was in Florida.... sitting in a meeting room with my boss.... you just feel so powerless..... I am so so glad you are now home with your babies :hugs:
Yes, Clavamox can be a beast - it is in my "NO" list here in my house because of what happened to Bugsy.... God forbid he had a Salmonella issue at that time.... I don't think he would have made it :/ It completely destroys their digestive flora in a way, that leaves them totally defenseless. Bugsy's own bad bacterial flora took over and it was a complete mess - I am afraid I will deal with it for a long while....
I have 2 bags - the one I use for Bugsy is this one: The Cat Sack It is a strong, sturdy bag, and no claws will go through them. This is a bag that will last a lifetime.....
This one - Klaw Kontrol - is, to me, the best bag out there, as far as being cat friendly. They do run small. But cats are not scared of them, they are more flexible, and I find them easier to use..... For a beginner, I would definitely recommend Klaw Kontrol. I have had other brands too, but these to me are the best ones.....
I hope from now on Perla Wilbur and Pips just continue to get better and better..... and that your 2012 is filled with much happiness and health..... no worries and no illnesses........ only good stuff :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Oh, and yes, I think you asked about Fortiflora to entice them to eat? MAGIC - pure magic! :clap::clap::clap: (extremely addictive though, so get ready for some intervention :lol3:)
:hugs:
Thank you!!! :hugs::hugs: Will order the Klaw Kontrol today :D. I am returning the roll of Bravo to the pet store today - they want to send it out themselves - because one other customer just brought back a roll of Bravo raw Pork and their cat was also in the hospital for digestive upset but doing fine now. I am a little scared of the raw food's now..... I trusted the commercially made raw foods and Wilbur has been eating a lot of that food lately without any problems.

Perla did eat some on her own this morning. I slept in the foster room with her. she loved it. Everytime I would leave she would cry and cry for me. She is doing quite well. No vomiting and no bowel movement yet. I did syringe more A/D into her just before her meds. She was MUCH better with the syringing this morning and I plan on doing that before I give her the medication's so I am assured that she has food in her tummy. I am still worried though, can't help it. I am JUST so glad to be home with my babies. I am a "helicopter" mom at the moment, especially for my :princess: Perla :heart3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, what a crazy, tumultuous month you've had, Lauren! Seems like all of you have been put through the ringer!  :(   :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I'm so glad everyone's home, safe and sound and on the mend. Go, Perla, you tough girl!! :clap:

Something that might make you feel more comfortable with at least one of the foods you're offering - Stella and Chewy's uses the same method of eliminating pathogens that Nature's Variety does on their raw foods... and NV guarantees their foods are pathogen-free. In addition, S&C also has every single batch of their foods tested for pathogens by a third-party lab.

If pathogens cause you concern, this should give you all the confidence you need to feed S&C.

Sending many thoughts and prayers that ALL your furbabies get back to a stable, healthy state ASAP!!!!! :vibes:   :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

AC
Thank you for telling me this. AS I was going to return the Stella/Chewey's raw freeze dried cubes my cat's love so much. Perla LOVES LOVES those cubes and I honestly wasn't sure WHAT has made her sick OR even IF it was food related. I feel more confident hearing that S/C and N.V. are pathogen free :nod: :bigthumb:

Thanks, Auntie, for your prayers..... :hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you and Perla are both home now, and that she's eating a little bit on her own this morning, and tolerating your syringe feeding a little better.  I'd be a helicopter mom too!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you and Perla are both home now, and that she's eating a little bit on her own this morning, and tolerating your syringe feeding a little better.  I'd be a helicopter mom too!
:yeah: Helicopter mom... DESERVED. AND it means YOU'RE HOME and PERLA is HOME. :lol3: Awwwww.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Just sending more vibes! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: I am sure we ALL have that "helicopter meowmy syndrome" :lol2: Thank's again for your kind, supportive words. :hugs::hugs::hugs: and your wonderful vibes !!!!!!!;)

Perla is doing just great (KNOCK WOOD). She is eating - although does not have the appetite she had before - but she is happily eating on her own. She is playing and there is no vomiting/diarrhea. I do syringe her about 1/2 ounce of A/D before her morning meds, just in case they make her tummy sick. I slept with her again last night in the third bedroom and she had a very normal poop!!! :banana1: :banana2: :dance: :jive: So tonight she will have the run of the house again. I don't think I need to monitor her overnight anymore. All is going well and I pray it continues on this positive path :cross:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhh I am sooooo relieved to read this!!! My goodness! Made my day! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Yey Perla!!! Helicopter mommy can safely land now! :lol3:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHat a relief that she is mending. I am sure you will get her to eat in due course - she has just been through so much. It would be good to get some tests done, for your own peace of mind. I would be very worried feeding her anything that just MIGHT have been responsible. Now relax with her and enjoy having her home as much as she is happy to be there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: This is GREAT news, and totally made my day! :clap: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb:

FINALLY! Everything's settling down! Maybe you'll be able to enjoy New Years! :lol3: (KNOCK WOOD!)