Update on Sponge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikki w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the vet today and she has mastitis (not sure if thats how you spell it or not). so the vet gave me some med to give to her twice a day for 5 days and said the kittens should be able to nurse from her and actually get something in a day or two until then i am bottle feeding.

i can tell them apart pretty easily. the first one born is real quiet, he looks just like the third one born (grey and white). the third one born never shuts up LOL. then the 4th and 5th one is different. the 4th one is a lot lighter than the 5th one. i will try to post some pictures tomorrow of them. maybe with it being daylight i can get better pics.

my husband and kids are doing much better. ty for asking.

and no, i didnt get much sleep lastnight. LOL

ty everyone for your kind words yesterday and today.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
bless you for taking time to update, have been worried about you, your family, Smudge and all the little ones. I guess you really have your hands full. good luck, try and get some sleep or you will end up sick next. Kittens are adorable.

nikki w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news!!!!!! I am not having to feed the babies anymore. Sponge has plenty of milk now to feed them. She is a wonderful mother. All the kittens seem to be doing very good. They all have gained weight already. I havent weighed them today but yesterday when I did they had gained really good. I checked in on them when I got home tonight and they are all curled up with momma asleep. There is one of them that climbs all over her constantly. I feel really sorry for her at times. Three of them will be laying there eating and the other one climbing all over her. It looks like we have 3 girls and 1 boy. Someone posted a site on here that showed the difference between the male and female kittens and that has been SOOOOO helpful. So tyvvvm to whoever that was. I will try to get some pics of them tomorrow if I have time and post them.

nikki w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just weighed the babies and they have all gained a little over 2 oz each since they were born.

does anyone know the average weight of a kitten when its born?

these weighed 3.9 oz, 3.7 oz, 4.2 oz, and 3.5 oz. I didnt weigh the one that was stillborn. it looked about the same size as the rest of them. they are all over 5 oz now!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful that all is going well and Sponge is enduring the joys of being a mother! Like all of us I am sure, I look forward to seeing pix.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The average weight of a newborn kitten is 3-3.4 oz, so it sounds like they're doing super!!! I'm so glad to hear that Sponge is able to feed them on her own now...there's really no substitute for the bond that comes from nursing.

nikki w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had good sized babies then if the average is 3-3.4oz, especially the 4th one born, she was 4.2oz. Here are some pics I just took of them. Since they are gaining weight its getting harder to tell which is which with the two grey and white ones. LOL