Undecided

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's been for a little play & a cuddle & has now gone back upstairs, I'm getting there slowly!!!!

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Youve gained his trust , well done you.it will only get better from here on

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks lovefive, I'm hoping spending the night & part of the day in my kitchen will give him more confidence.

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are most welcome. Enjoy what will be a long lasting friendship between you and Shadow.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shadow is moulting like crazy, is this his summer coat like dogs get?? Or do the moult all year round?? I've got a grooming mitt which I'll use everyday on him. At least it's not like dog hair, it just clumps, which is great & easy to clean up!!

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your kitty.

My parents ended up with their cat in the same fashion and he's absolutely wonderful. He'd been mistreated so he took quite a while to settle but they just carried on as normal and he's now the loveliest, soppiest cat you could meet.

If he doesn't like car journeys he could need a rest after the stress, my little girl cat did. She slept more or less for about a day whilst her brother tried to get her to play with him. I adopted the two separately and they settled in with time.

You'll know when you need to clean the litter tray out! Your setup sounds fine. My two are indoors and love watching the birds, they also like feathers on a stick to play with. You'll find out his favourite toys in time.

If you're feeding supermarket brands the Sheba Duet chicken and birds sachets don't have any cereals and are soft for poor toothless.

You just have to accept that there'll be fur on everything, just don't hug anyone allergic.

You've done great, enjoy your lovely boy.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks pegleg, I'm presuming the moulting gets a bit better, but not a problem if it doesn't, I've had a black lab before & they moult like crazy!! He's meowing away but won't come downstairs so I'm just letting him get on with it!!

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brushing and hoovering's about all you can do. He'll be nothing compared to a lab.

My black cat's a shouter, you might have one too. He's probably trying to get you to come upstairs, trying to get you properly trained.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brushing and hoovering's about all you can do. He'll be nothing compared to a lab.

My black cat's a shouter, you might have one too. He's probably trying to get you to come upstairs, trying to get you properly trained.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ha ha, that's funny, I'm guessing you train a dog but a cat trains you!!!!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Apollo shouts at us like that. I talk to him when he does this. It seems like sometimes when he wakes up after a nap he wants to know where we are if he does not see us. Sometimes he also does this to call us to come to him.
I agree with sitting down near where he is and reading to him so he can get used to the sound of your voice.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do cats have seasons of heavy shedding like dogs, winter & summer (I'm an experienced dog owner & know nothing about cats), or are they heavy shredders all year round, I'm not bothered I'm just trying to further educate myself??

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do cats have seasons of heavy shedding like dogs, winter & summer (I'm an experienced dog owner & know nothing about cats), or are they heavy shredders all year round, I'm not bothered I'm just trying to further educate myself??
In my experience, cats shed a little all year, but more so in spring and summer. Particularly if they are indoor-outdoor cats. Some indoor cats just steadily shed a little throughout the year.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F flojo75 wow!! It sounds (and looks) like you and Shadow are already making great progress. This is definitley the beginning of a wonderful relationship!

I'm so looking forward to seeing more photos as Shadow continues to get comfortable in his new home [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks raina21 that helps, I think it's just his summer coat coming out, as I said it doesn't bother me, it's just good to know, thanks

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He also may not have been brushed very often at the foster home he was previously in. I'm sure he was looked after but bushing probably wasn't a priority.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think you are right as I've just tried to brush him & he wasn't keen, perseverance.
One thing that has concerned me is the fact that he came downstairs & came straight up to me purring & wanted stroking so I did this very gently & he suddenly turned & went for me with his mouth & claws, he has scratched me. This is worrying me as I did nothing wrong, I didn't go to him he came to me, I'm very worried as I don't want a cat that is aggressive

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think you are right as I've just tried to brush him & he wasn't keen, perseverance.
One thing that has concerned me is the fact that he came downstairs & came straight up to me purring & wanted stroking so I did this very gently & he suddenly turned & went for me with his mouth & claws, he has scratched me. This is worrying me as I did nothing wrong, I didn't go to him he came to me, I'm very worried as I don't want a cat that is aggressive
He's likely just nervous. He knows he wants to be petted, but is still shy of you. Being petted right now may be over stimulating him. Or some cats don't like being stroked in certain areas or in certain ways. Some like having their tummies touched, while others don't ,some love having their ears and necks scratched, some don't. Some hate to have their backs touched.