Undecided

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well shadow has arrived, he's currently hiding away in the bedroom upstairs, so I'm just letting him get on with it.
A quick question, I have a part time job & I work from home late at night, so I don't go to bed until about 3pm & get up about 2pm. Would feeding him at 2pm & then later at night about 8pm be ok, I have biscuits down all day for him??

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good idea, i always leave a bit of dry food for Martha but I feed her main meal in the morning and again in the evening. She is not a massive eater but she feels a good weight and shes happy which is obviously the main thing. You are doing a great job with shadow. He's lucky to have you

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well shadow has arrived, he's currently hiding away in the bedroom upstairs, so I'm just letting him get on with it.
A quick question, I have a part time job & I work from home late at night, so I don't go to bed until about 3pm & get up about 2pm. Would feeding him at 2pm & then later at night about 8pm be ok, I have biscuits down all day for him??
Yayyyyyy!!!! He's home!!!!!

Is it possible to space his meals out a bit more? Like feed him when you wake up at 2pm and then again 8 to 10 hours later (10pm-1 am ish)? I'm just thinking he may not be too hungry for his second meal if you have fed him at 2 and then 6 hours later. I work during the day so I feed when I wake up at 5:30 am, when I get home at 5 pm and then a small meal before bed. I leave a small amount of dry out when I'm at work and overnight.
He will adapt to the new schedule no matter what you end up doing!
Good for you to give him his space while he gets acclimated. Be sure to talk softly and move slowly when you are around him as he gets adjusted.
Keep us posted on how you guys are getting along!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat at 5am, 10am, 5pm, and 8pm.  The wet food meals are the 5am and the 5pm. I think it is good to have them spaced out like this. It might be good to go ahead and feed him his second meal a bit later, but from what I've seen with my cats, they are happy to eat just about any time.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, as I work until the early hours I could feed him at 2pm then at 2am when I go to bed, would that be a good time in between & keep dry food out all day??

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit worried (first day nerves), he's just taken himself upstairs & is sat on the landing, I've managed to coax him down & he's had a good long drink but not eaten at all, he then just takes himself back upstairs, it's obviously where he feels safe. Do I just leave him?
Sorry for all the questions

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stop worrying easier said then done I know but I ve been there and trust me I was feeling excatly the same as you are right now when I first got Martha. I would say leave him for about 45 minutes then go and check on him, try tempting him with a treat, stroking him and talking softly to him. He will come round in his own time , trust me. Again your doing great and asking questions is how we learn so ask away. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, as I work until the early hours I could feed him at 2pm then at 2am when I go to bed, would that be a good time in between & keep dry food out all day??
I think that's a good plan. You can always adjust, if needed. There are also feeders with timers that you can set to go off while you are at work but that's something to think about later on down the line [emoji]128522[/emoji]. He'll have dry food available is he is hungry between meals!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit worried (first day nerves), he's just taken himself upstairs & is sat on the landing, I've managed to coax him down & he's had a good long drink but not eaten at all, he then just takes himself back upstairs, it's obviously where he feels safe. Do I just leave him?
Sorry for all the questions
Yes, I would leave him where he feels safe. One idea might be to go upstairs where he is and just sit with him and read. It doesn't matter what you read to him but this will help him get used to your voice and more comfortable.
Don't worry that he hasn't eaten yet...that is pretty normal for a kitty in a new home. But it's a great sign that he has had some water! Is there any way you could put some food and water upstairs (if you have not already done that)? You could always move it once Shadow is acclimated.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend has suggested to shut him in my kitchen over night until he gets used to the house.

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, DON'T shut him up anywhere. Basically Shadow needs to realise that your home is now his home . Martha has full run of my flat she go into every room because I want her to know that my home is now her home. I know you want to the best for shadow its obvious you're doing your best and you really are doing a fantastic job. You have given him a home, a safe haven,food,warmth and above all love. Ive had Martha for a month and trust me, Im still learning all about her habits,likes/dislikes , when she wants space , what she likes to eat etc etc .its all a learing curb but a fun learning curb . Just keep doing what you're doing , your patience, determination and love will pay of in the end I promise

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has suggested to shut him in my kitchen over night until he gets used to the house.
Without knowing the layout of your home, it's hard to advise. And, of course every cat is different.
Most do suggest keeping a new cat in one room with food, water and litter available in that room in order to help them
Acclimate.
That being said, since he has already located himself upstairs in a bedroom, I'm not sure if pulling him out of where he seemingly feels comfortable is beneficial at this point since you are at the beginning of trying to establish trust with him. Leave him be for now...hopefully someone more expirenced will come around and comment.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F flojo75 I know you are nervous and concerned that you are doing the "right" things for Shadow but please know that he's going to be just fine. I would leave him to do what feels good to him and just go about your day/evening as you normally would. He will sense your nervous energy which may make him more stressed. I would suggest making sure that he had food, water and litter nearby-if he is upstairs primarily, then make sure these things are upstairs (this would only be temporary!!). If you can sit in whatever room he is and read to him, try doing that. Let Shadow set the pace with interactions.

Take a deep breath [emoji]128522[/emoji]

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on having Shadow home at last!  The only reason to close him up in a room is if there are other pets in the house and you need to go through introductions, or if your house still needs to be cat proofed.  Otherwise he should be able to come and go as he wishes.  It's an excellent sign that he emerged for water.  You might find that he explores the house and eats from his bowl and uses his litter box when you are asleep.  Everyone has given you great advice here.  Reading to him and playing with him while he's under the bed will really help him get to know you as a friend and fun person.   Giving him snacks to draw him out from under the bed also helps.

You might try reading this article.   It should help.
[article="32804"]How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home  [/article]
 Don't worry.  Shadow will be your friend very soon!  

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, he's taken to sitting in my landing, there is a litter tray up their. He will come down if I coax him but he the just goes back up to the stairs & landing so I'm inclined to keep him in my kitchen over night with his bed & hopefully this will give him the confidence being downstairs. I've been up a couple of times to him & he has been very tactile, I also keep talking to him from downstairs & calling his name.
Thank you everyone for all your advice, sorry for being such a pain!!!![emoji]128556[/emoji]

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stop saying sorry [emoji]128522[/emoji] from what you have put in your above post you are doing absolutely fine , relax and go about evening as normal but do check on shadow from time to time. The idea of talking/reading to him is a very good idea and the best way to get shadow used to you and your voice . I talk to Martha about my day and almost everything, she probably dosnt get what Im saying half the time but then again nor do most humans [emoji]128514[/emoji] . You could put him in the kitchen but I would suggest another room as opposed to the kitchen BUT this is just my own opinion. Martha loves my bedroom has it as her scent and my scent combined, I also feed in heree as well which works as she now knows where her food will be served . In the lounge she has a cat tree, scratching post and an igloo and a radiator bed but her favourite hobby is looking out the window. I reiterate you are doing a marvellous job and feel free to ask questions people are here to help and are happy to help. Me included. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, he's taken to sitting in my landing, there is a litter tray up their. He will come down if I coax him but he the just goes back up to the stairs & landing so I'm inclined to keep him in my kitchen over night with his bed & hopefully this will give him the confidence being downstairs. I've been up a couple of times to him & he has been very tactile, I also keep talking to him from downstairs & calling his name.
Thank you everyone for all your advice, sorry for being such a pain!!!![emoji]128556[/emoji]
You are NOT being a pain!!! He sounds like a brave little man and you are doing wonderfully!!

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only reason I want to put him in my kitchens because for the last month all day he has been shut in a bedroom & I want to break the habit & get him used to downstairs as all his food, water & toys are down there