Ugg....still scared

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After three weeks now after adopting a 5yr. old kitty she is still afraid of new noises.  After the first two weeks I thought she was coming around and I hope she still will.  The A/C scares her, car coming up on the driveway, holding a new thing in my hand.  When it is dead quite she comes out to be with me but that is mainly in the evening.  I do not get to spend a lot of time with her.  I go to bed early and that is her time to shine.  I have tried all I can and even when I vacuum I wait till she is out of her room but she will run back in just to get under the bed.  I have the scents, talk to her in a quite voice and let her hide when she feels like she has to.  Is there something else I can do or is this her life?  I just hope she is happy here.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is a real black beauty! Do give her lots and lots of more time and I promise in the weeks to come you will see her begin to emerge with courage. Some kitties take a long time to adjust to their new home, all of the noises, and new routine. It could take her quite a bit of time if she is so skittish and who knows what her background is??! Don't worry, you are certainly doing everything right by her and as the weeks pass on, she will begin to relax a bit more. A good schedule and routine is something good to do and something she will soon learn to rely on and count on thus making her become more settled. Here is a new article that will surely help with your new addition. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/ten-essential-tips-for-happy-living-with-a-shy-cat I really think in time you will be posting how much she has changed. Lots of playtime too - maybe get her into a evening routine of play by using a wand toy with added treats when you are all done. You are definitely on the right track with her so not to worry! :high5: :)

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy has been here 3 1/2 months and still startles.  I don't think she'll ever get used to my husbands sandels.  They squeak and sometimes sound like they are sticking to the floor.  Everyone else goes barefoot but he won't. Now shes hides by furniture and peeks around a corner to see what it is instead of running upstairs.   It took her over a month to get used to the sounds in the kitchen when dinner was being fixed.  She is finally staying downstairs in the evenings.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't know your cat's history but Fluffy was brought into a shelter, I assume, from off the street where running from unknown sounds could be life saving.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl was in the streets till she was about 10 weeks old, and whatever happened to her in that time made her extremely nervous/skittish/anxious. She got along well with our other cat but was terrified of people. She warmed up to my wife quickly (she's basically her spirit animal) but she was still so nervous around me that I couldn't pick her up and hold her without bleeding for it until about 2 YEARS later.

Progress was very slow, but now she is 4 1/2 and as long as no one else is around, shes super adorable and affectionate, playful and silly and vocal.

A few weeks is very little time to heal damage, particularly mental/psychological. Give her some time, give her space when she wants it, and she'll warm up, don't worry.

Also, your little black girl looks an awful lot like my little black girl :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! I am so in love with her!  Hope she is feeling the same...  Will report back in a few days.  

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Fluffy has been here 3 1/2 months and still startles.  I don't think she'll ever get used to my husbands sandels.  They squeak and sometimes sound like they are sticking to the floor.  Everyone else goes barefoot but he won't. Now shes hides by furniture and peeks around a corner to see what it is instead of running upstairs.   It took her over a month to get used to the sounds in the kitchen when dinner was being fixed.  She is finally staying downstairs in the evenings.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't know your cat's history but Fluffy was brought into a shelter, I assume, from off the street where running from unknown sounds could be life saving.
Thanks...I am still learning the replies to this site but i appreciate all responses.  

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all and sorry if I am not replying to the correct pages.  i am        in so in love with Frankie and I believe by what I have read so far that she is a happy girl now.  I know she deserves a home she can trust and  have love and rely on.  

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, any ideas of how to get her in her crate.  She is scared to death of it and I have no idea how to take her to the vet if need be.  Should I place it in the house again and just let her see it for awhile?  I do not want to traumatise her again  but she will have to go or would a mobile vet be better?  That is if we can get her out from under the bed.     

Thanks all for your input.

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have my crates out all the time. My crazy tortoiseshell is due for her yearly shots soon, so i have sprayed a calming spray inside the crate. She is in and out of it all the time. You can also place treats inside for her to find or placing something comfortable for her to sleep on. I would decide on both normal and mobile vets i intend to use, then make the decision which is less traumatic when she need to be taken to a vet

It sounds like she is settling in and you are doing a great job.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, any ideas of how to get her in her crate.  She is scared to death of it and I have no idea how to take her to the vet if need be.  Should I place it in the house again and just let her see it for awhile?  I do not want to traumatise her again  but she will have to go or would a mobile vet be better?  That is if we can get her out from under the bed.     

Thanks all for your input.:wave2:
Set up the carrier with the door propped open securely to leave it out all the time, and start to feed her really, really special food inside of the carrier. Fishy canned foods as a treat or special treats that she goes crazy for, and then she will begin to run to carrier over time to get the yummy, delicious treats/food. You can even set up a second carrier and put a very comfy bed inside for her to sleep in. Get the Feliway spray and spritz lightly inside of the carriers. It will last for up to 12 hours. I keep a carrier out for my cats too and I have two dogs with tent type crates that are open all the time. I find the cats sleeping inside the dog tents every day! If you do this, then on vet day, your kitty may be easily encouraged inside of her carrier so you can shut her in. It will be much less stressful for her this way too. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I have the carrier from the shelter but I think that just brings up bad memories.  I am thinking of buying her a soft carrier and I will get the spray.  I am gong to Petsmart today but I don't think they carry Feliway.  Are other brands as effective?  Perhaps just setting up the old carrier with the spray will be enough.  And of course her favorite treats. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you.  I have the carrier from the shelter but I think that just brings up bad memories.  I am thinking of buying her a soft carrier and I will get the spray.  I am gong to Petsmart today but I don't think they carry Feliway.  Are other brands as effective?  Perhaps just setting up the old carrier with the spray will be enough.  And of course her favorite treats. :D
You can use the carrier from the shelter! Just take it apart and clean it with some diluted dawn soap and water. Very easy to do. Then you can also get another carrier. I love the types with the double doors. One front and one on the top. This is the one I have http://www.thecatsite.com/products/petmate-two-door-top-load-pet-kennel And you can check out our review section to peruse other options as well. :D

Yes - Petsmart sells Comfort Zone, I think and it the exact same thing! I buy it from directly from Amazon but it you want it today - then you can get it as a pet specialty store.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a difference in one day.  Ok...this may be long... So yesterday at lunch I went to Petsmart and bought Nature's Miracle calming spray.

For fun I just sprayed a little on certain spots on the living room carpet (she was sleeping under the bed) and then some on the screened in porch in her play cube.  I also place a towel on top of the cube and lightly sprayed that.  Later that afternoon she came out to say hello and for a snack.  When she walked into the living she stopped and sniffed.  I thought Oh no....she knows there is something different and may not like it.  But after much sniffing she got her snack and I went back to my office to work and she back under the bed.  So, a few minutes later I noticed it was getting very warm in the office.  Well, the A/C was not working.  Called my landlord, he came over and so much activity going on.  In was in the room, checking breakers, pulling down the attic ladder (right by the bedroom) and so on.  NOise, someone new, to much activity and I thought I would not see her till midnight.  HA , Not the case.  She came out soon after the activities.  Now it is time for dinner.  The rest of the evening and I mean all evening she was out playing, checking out the cube, lying in it. Nothing seemed to bother her.  She seemed so calm even with me in and out.  Truly a little braver cat. What a joy!  Had to sleep with the bedroom window open due to a/c still not fixed. She loved it.  I woke up several times to see her sitting in the window, playing, bringing me her toy mice.  What a Joy!!!!

So this am the landlord and mechanic will be here and as I see her out and about playing right now I know she will run to the bed but that is OK!!

She does love to sleep during the day and I know once things calm down again she will be back out.

Don't know how much the spray had to do with this but I do believe it has helped!!!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a HAPPY update!! I can feel your elation and joy. Could very well be the "happy" spray. :D :clap: and the fact that she is finally starting to feel more safe/secure - all at the same time. Whatever - we will take it, right??!!! And, sometimes, this change does just happen in just one day after a few weeks of no progress. All of the sudden - they emerge out of their shell all at once. She sounds so adorable, sweet and happy. :clap::clap:

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yes I am delighted!! 
  Of course this am when the landlord and A/C guy came back over, they were in the attic and here bout an hour. She did come out to have lunch with me just settling down on the couch and that big ole bad noisey truck pulled up again in the driveway.  
 Away she went.   But I now know she is not terrified of everything and if she needs to hide when people come over so be it.  Although she will come out for my friend if she is here long enough.  Being that this poor kitty was found on the steps at the shelter taped up in a box I think she is doing marvelous.  

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the events of the repairing of the A/C this am has set Frankie back a lot.  She came out for dinner just now and that was it.  I am so sad.  Will she get over this past event?  This is her  time to shine and has been for 3 weeks.  After dinner, play sitting on the porch and getting brushed.  Just being.  And now after hiding all day she is doing it again.  :(

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to worry, hun, I know she will recover from this. :nod: She is still new and these setbacks are going to happen and be expected since she is so sensitive too. Allow her to be this way and you can encourage her with favorite treats, toys, food and/or soothing baby talk. She will come around quickly and this won't be days either. Once she realizes the scary monster man won't be back anytime soon, she will come out of hiding. This is only a short setback and she may be this way when you have people over or other worker's in the house. Some cats are just more sensitive, and easily frightened by others. I have two like that. They always come out now, very shortly after the scary people leave. Frankie is still new and adjusting, so she may take a bit longer still to come out after people leave. ;)

p.s. I am having this thread merged with your other thread as it is much easier for people to reply and assist you knowing the background history of Frankie from your original thread.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I was just so upset for her.....I appreciate your feedback and I will try to get better on the thread and understand how this all works but I can tell you this has been a blessing to have input from everyone.  I have had cats all my life as I had mentioned before, and this is the first rescue that is so afraid and I feel her pain.  She deserves to be happy!  I was even thinking of fostering a young kitty ( so many need a foster home right now) and was wondering if that would help her.  I know in the No kill shelter she came from she was good with the other cats.    Since I rent and was told I could have one cat...lol.  they did not say I could not foster a kitten for awhile but I do not want to do anything else to upset my baby girl Frankie.

Thank you again and I guess this mommy needs all the encouragement, as does Frankie. This as been a blessing to have such wonderful contact!  

Updates tomorrow!  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I have had cats all my life as I had mentioned before, and this is the first rescue that is so afraid and I feel her pain.
I think sometimes we fret and worry more than the new kitties and that may impact them a little bit too. Try not to put any expectations at all and just let her be HER and go with the flow whatever it may be! The fun part is coming when you will see her emerge into a whole new little silly personality as time goes on. I try to enjoy the whole process because it is such a beautiful thing to witness. Like a delicate little budding flower that you just KNOW is going to be fantastic once bloomed. :D

I LOVE this photo of her sitting by the screen door near your slippers. Lovely and cute!! :clap::clap: Happy, relaxed and loved. :lovegrin:

Last edited:

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have a good point.  Perhaps I am being a little to worried about it all.  I was thinking that I have always worked out of the home and away at work all day I am sure all my kitties did was sleep, Being home all day working and not seeing her is most likely the norm.   LOL.   I am sure she will come around.  My new tactic is to wait for her to come out for dinner then just do some things in the kitchen before I feed her so she can see that there are not bad things in the kitchen.  When I feed her right away she will eat but nervous about what is going on in the sink, etc.