Tylosin For Undiagnosed Cause Of Diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to add that maybe you should also consider tritrichomonas foetus if the diarrhea is smelly. It is not rare yet many vet fail at identifying it. But both coccidia and tritrichomonas foetus are transmissible and if you have other kittens at home, they should show symptoms too, unless they are significantly stronger than Richard.
Just a quick update, I decided to wait on the Tylosin Powder for at least another week. I want to make sure he isn't just having severe stomach upset from all the antibiotics he has already taken before I give him more. I figured if in 2 weeks he still has extremely loose stool I may consider doing a Fecal PCR panel and just seen what happens from there. I started him on Nexabiotic probiotic capsules this weekend and hes gone about 4 days in a row now with that in his food in the morning. I also started feeding about 50% freeze-dried raw food to decrease the amount of "crap" he is eating. His poops have been more like pudding and less like water the last couple days so maybe there is hope after all! :)

robospa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Richard and the whole gang are finally done with their course of doxycycline treatment for the chlamydophila felis. It was 4 weeks of daily dosing in the morning with food. A week later no symptoms have returned and Richard went in for a follow up and pre-operative exam for getting neutered. For those of you who did not see my last posts Richard is 7 months old and had been getting repeat URIs, diarrhea, eye infections, etc. and was in the vet pretty much on a weekly basis for 3 months. We finally got everything under control aside from the diarrhea which has been terrible. It smells bad, it looks like pudding or soup most of the time and it never seems to get much better than that. I know antibiotics can do a number on a kitty's gut so I am willing to be patient. The vet prescribed Tylosin powder last night and told me to give it to Richard every 12 hours with food. I am putting the powder in gelatin capsules and forcing him to swallow them. It is not fun but its the only way I can get him to ingest this bitter powder! My question is: has anyone had experience with Tylosin powder and can you speak on the efficacy of it? Does this seem to treat loose stools? We have no idea what is causing it but I may also start feeding Richard only Primal nuggets to eliminate all the processed nonsense in the Fancy Feast and other canned foods we feed. I could also try probiotics again but those seem to have no real effect one way or the other.
My cat Ming is also being prescribed Tylosin for chronic diarrhea, but I'll be buying flavored chews that my vet will rx from Diamondback drugs, at 866-578-4420. Or the website: vet prescribe.com., where they list the many flavors, and product form that can be ordered. I will be ordering the chicken-liver flavor for ming. Hope this helped.

mwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a quick update, I decided to wait on the Tylosin Powder for at least another week. I want to make sure he isn't just having severe stomach upset from all the antibiotics he has already taken before I give him more. I figured if in 2 weeks he still has extremely loose stool I may consider doing a Fecal PCR panel and just seen what happens from there. I started him on Nexabiotic probiotic capsules this weekend and hes gone about 4 days in a row now with that in his food in the morning. I also started feeding about 50% freeze-dried raw food to decrease the amount of "crap" he is eating. His poops have been more like pudding and less like water the last couple days so maybe there is hope after all! :)
Did you end up treating with tylan powder? Or test for tritrichomonas?