Twin Rabbits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bunnies are scheduled for their dentals in early January. The vet can only do one a day, exotic recovery supervision limitations, so Frodo will go one day and Gladys the next. They both need 24 hours in a smaller cage for supervision after so the alternates days will be good for that too.

In other news, Frodo got his first orange of the season and it's was amazing.

20231216_102409.jpg
20231216_102413.jpg
20231216_102415.jpg
20231216_102406.jpg
20231216_102309.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be a pretty sugar heavy treat but the peel is a good fiber source. I generally just let the kiddos split one orange at the beginning of the season and after that they get a slice off mine (with peel) maybe one a week until the season ends (about a month). Only home grown oranges or tangerines so I know there is no chemicals on them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy New Year Gladys and Frodo. A wet yard isn't fun, but could be worse. It could be covered in snow!

Kieka Kieka : Do you still have to keep them separated?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy New Year Gladys and Frodo. A wet yard isn't fun, but could be worse. It could be covered in snow!

Kieka Kieka : Do you still have to keep them separated?
Yes. They do fine with the fence between them but any attempt to let them have actual face to face ends up on a fight for dominance. They are just too strong of personalities.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's too bad they can't be in the same enclosure, but at least they can see each other, so they won't be lonely. Are rabbits generally more social animals, or more like your 2 and prefer their own space?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's too bad they can't be in the same enclosure, but at least they can see each other, so they won't be lonely. Are rabbits generally more social animals, or more like your 2 and prefer their own space?
Social. The rabbits do love company and contact. Gladys gets visits from the cats in her area. Pretty sure Rocket and her are plotting for world domination. Frodo doesn't get as much face to face but Link dose say hi every day and Frodo does get out in the yard every few weeks where he gets more contact (he eats more of the yard so less yard time for his safety).

The problem with Frodo and Gladys together is they are exact opposites and both equally dominate. Neither wants to give an inch to the other so they just fight to prove who is stronger. If I wasn't worried about them hurting each other permanently I could let them fight it out. But since they both have different approaches to food too it isn't worth the risk. Frodo eats everything quickly, Gladys spaces it put and nibbles. Together, Gladys would never be able to eat.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Happy & Healthy New Year to Gladys and Frodo. 🎉 Sorry about the wet new year's day but always glad to see pics of the twins.🐰

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo and Gladys have their dental appointments this week; Frodo tomorrow and Gladys on Wednesday. Rabbit dental work involves grinding down their molars to ensure they have an even chewing surface and no spurs that could lead to injuries and abscesses. Staying on top of their dental health is critical in preventing problems that can very easily lead to death. While the twins both eat plenty of hay and their incisors look great; they both have some slightly weird wear patterns to their molars and the vet wants to address before there are issues. Neither of them are at a point of serious concern but after Peter passed away from teeth related issues, I am not taking any chance or delaying treatment. Hopefully, this is correct the problems and they won't reoccur but there is always the chance that the twins will need annual dental work if they don't correct the chewing behaviors that caused the uneven wear.

Did you know, rabbits cannot vomit? Which means that neither of them get food withheld prior to their procedures even though they are both being put under. I am sending them both in our large carrier, big enough for 17 pound Link, filled with hay and a sprinkle of pellets within the hay. They are also getting a baggie taped to the carrier with pellets and another with treats. They both will be at the vet all day and I want to ensure they have access to familiar hay, food and treats when they are recovering from the anesthesia.

There vet only schedules one exotic surgery a day and has a dedicated staff to supervise them in recovery. They will both get IVs and close monitoring to ensure they have a smooth procedure. Although, this is another case of the hidden expense of rabbits because this will burn through my current vet fund.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo is off to the vet. Link was a little concerned about is bunny being in the carrier.

Screenshot_20240109_080518_Ring.jpg

Little does Link know, tomorrow is *his* Solensia Injection. You can see the food and treat baggies taped to the carrier in such a way that the carrier can be opened without removing them. Everything has Frodos name and my cell written on it to ensure they can easily contact me if needed. I always use Painters Tape to label carriers for vet trips with that animals name and my cell just to be safe. So tonight, I'll switch all the labels to Galdys even if they don't use the food or treats for Frodo.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just because I want to be transparent for anyone who sees these posts and wants a rabbit, dental is $1k per rabbit. Which includes CT to check for problems prior to starting to ensure they do the proper work, meds during and take home, IV, monitoring in recovery, and anesthesia during.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frodo would like everyone to know that he really isn't happy about being inside. Since he is a nightmare to catch and he has meds once a day for the next week; Frodo will be inside the temporary pen for the next week.

20240109_183054.jpg

Gladys is a lot easier to catch so after she does her 24 hours inside, she will go back to her normal space. Sometimes life isn't fair buddy.

Gladys will have her surgery tomorrow. Her temporary space is also a collapsible pet carrier. They are both from my emergency kit of grab and go pet supplies. I figure if we have to evacuate the collapsible playpen would be good for temporary situations.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gladys think this whole vet thing was a grand adventure.

20240110_172137.jpg
20240110_172225.jpg
20240110_172228.jpg
20240110_172235.jpg

Link is confused by the rabbit running around.

Gladys will be in until Friday morning, she will still get meds but she cooperates (usually). Frodo still remains in until Tuesday morning for his meds.

20240110_172156.jpg

Frodo is still annoyed about the whole thing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like horses! Which unfortunately means horses can sometimes die of tummy ache.

I missed something, what happened to Gladys's ear?
Yep, rabbits can too. They use rabbits as horse stand in when doing medical research for horses (digestive and dental). If it works for rabbits, it usually works for horses too.

Oh! Bandage for the IV during her dental work.

Last edited: