Twin Rabbits

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bunnies are so cute. And your coneflowers are gorgeous. Will the bunnies eat the actual flowers? Or just the leaves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Happy 2nd Birthday Frodo and Gladys!

They got a Birthday cake from well kept rabbit. Gladys, of course, had to be difficult and pull out the third layer. Frodo, of course, ran up and snatched up the top layer without hesitation.

Screenshot_20230819_151838_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_151832_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_151846_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_151854_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_151903_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_151907_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_151914_Photos.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, in case anyone is worried, we have prepped for the tropical storm headed our way. When we redid the rabbit hutch three years ago, we raised the whole hutch up and dug a trench around it. We have a drain out of the yard at the end of the trench. We did check the drain and alley to make sure everything was clear so water shouldn't flood his space unless it gets really deep. Our house is in the middle of a street on a slight incline and we did install a concrete barrier on the uphill side to prevent flooding years ago so its only direct rainfall or serious flooding thats a risk to him. His whole hutch is tarped and tied down to make sure he stays dry (except a little on the side and front for air flow).

Screenshot_20230819_152817_Photos.jpg

Gladys's area is against the house. When we had all the rain, her area stayed pretty dry. It was mostly run off from the fence dripping in. She's on the downhill side of the house so no risk of water running into the space along the ground. Her biggest risk this storm is rain being blown in, one side already has a screen plus a neighbors bush blocking it so we just added a tarp to the other side. Between the two she will have a dry spot in that corner and she can get on the shelf or steps if she wants to get higher. I'll still double check once the storm gets here and we have two more tarps if we need to add more.

20230819_151156~2.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, in case anyone is worried, we have prepped for the tropical storm headed our way. When we redid the rabbit hutch three years ago, we raised the whole hutch up and dug a trench around it. We have a drain out of the yard at the end of the trench. We did check the drain and alley to make sure everything was clear so water shouldn't flood his space unless it gets really deep. Our house is in the middle of a street on a slight incline and we did install a concrete barrier on the uphill side to prevent flooding years ago so its only direct rainfall or serious flooding thats a risk to him. His whole hutch is tarped and tied down to make sure he stays dry (except a little on the side and front for air flow).

View attachment 457529

Gladys's area is against the house. When we had all the rain, her area stayed pretty dry. It was mostly run off from the fence dripping in. She's on the downhill side of the house so no risk of water running into the space along the ground. Her biggest risk this storm is rain being blown in, one side already has a screen plus a neighbors bush blocking it so we just added a tarp to the other side. Between the two she will have a dry spot in that corner and she can get on the shelf or steps if she wants to get higher. I'll still double check once the storm gets here and we have two more tarps if we need to add more.

View attachment 457531
Will be thinking of you and others during these next days and hours! Yes, batten down the hatches! Good luck to al!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It started raining around 3am, stopped around 11am and just started up again. So far the worst of it is how humid it is. Apparently, the worst part is supposed to hit my area later this evening.

Frodo did get his door opened this morning. He stayed inside until it stopped and went back in when it started up again. Gladys did not get let out since she might decide to hide somewhere in the yard and I didn't want to play hide and seek with her at the worse of the rain.

She's been mostly hiding under her bed in the dry corner we set up. Although she did come out briefly to glare at the door for daring to be closed and the rain for making her ground wet.

20230820_125213.jpg
20230820_125135.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very Happy 2nd Birthday to two of the most adorable rabbits I know, Frodo and Gladys. :celebrate::bday:
It looks like the worst of the storm is behind you which I'm sure the twins are thankful for. Stay safe!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very Happy Thanksgiving to Gladys, Frodo and you! 🍁 The bunnies are so precious. I just love the markings on Gladys.:hearthrob: And the first pic of Frodo on his hind legs is adorable.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At the vet for the twins annual exam, RHDV2 and blood work. They are both healthy and in good conditoon overall. Frodo is a little chunky (to absolutely no ones surprise).

Frodo will need a dental within the next few months, Gladys within the next year. Both of their second molars are not of concern yet but growing in a way that indicates that they will be. So need to nip that before it gets bad. I'll probably schedule for Q1 of next year just to put it after the holidays and past my already scheduled days off work/activities.

Just for transparency for anyone seeing this post and going "awwww I want a bunny".

Vet appointment cost: $45
RHDV2 Vaccine cost: $45
Blood work cost: $170

And it's times two since I have two rabbits.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Frodo will need a dental within the next few months, Gladys within the next year. Both of their second molars are not of concern yet but growing in a way that indicates that they will be.
Oh, do rabbits get wisdom teeth the way people do? I always imagined rabbits have pretty good teeth with all that fresh veg they eat

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, do rabbits get wisdom teeth the way people do? I always imagined rabbits have pretty good teeth with all that fresh veg they eat
Their teeth are more like horses. Open rooted teeth that will continue to grow their entire lives. In a perfect world, the motion of their chewing will grind down the teether evenly and all is good. It's part of why they need a diet with a lot of hay to make sure they are chewing to grind them down. Also why Peter had so many issues because he didn't eat a good amount of hay. What can happen is that they don't wear evenly and you end up with sharp points or spurs in places. These can cause damage to the cheek, gums or tongue leading to infection (which is probably what triggered Peters infection that later ended his life). My vet checks their teeth with a small camera and takes pictures to make sure the molars are wearing evenly (six on top, 5 on bottom on each side). It's part of why I like this vet versus others who try to just do visual inspections manually (like Peter's vet). It allows the vet to exam the teeth close up to catch tiny imperfections before they become major.

infographic.png

Frodos second molars on both side are higher then the others. Which means he's wearing unevenly and letting it go could put undo stress on the other teeth and cause damage. Gladys has a slight spur starting on one side and a little overgrowth on the other side towards her gums, if allowed to continue could cut her and lead to infection. Usually, Gladys would be a recheck in a few months but since she is already a good hay eater it's something about how she chews so the vet wants to take care of it.