Tuesday 11/5/2013 8:00AM My cat isn't eating or going to the bathroom and is laying around crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AWWWW poor baby and I do hope that soon, very soon, he will be all better and that the anti-inflammatory does it's job. I think we all were in the dark at some point about dry food solely for our kitties. I do hope that he will eat the canned Hill's C/D too. Eventually, once he is stable and things look good, then you may be able to start adding in some other grain-free canned varieties with the C/D. I hope he takes to the wet food.

The following link will be enlightening for you to read. http://www.catinfo.org/

Mega, mega vibes for the check-up appointment this morning.
Yup. My dad's kitty that we had when I was a kid had urinary and kidney issues, which got her in the end. She was fed all dry food. This was the 90's, and there was less information out there than there is today.

My dad never would have fed her all dry if he had known -- if anyone had known. I mean, dry food hasn't been around very long, and unfortunately we learned about its drawbacks through experience with our cats.

My first kitty was on wet and dry both until she was 9, at which point my dad switched her to all wet. And then when she moved in with me when I reached adulthood, she continued on all wet. She never had issues of this type.

My kitty now was on wet before she came to me, and now she's on raw, and always will be if I can help it. So, every generation, it's getting better. We just have to try not to blame ourselves for not knowing. I'm sure there's even more stuff we don't know, that we will in 20 years. Unfortunately, the legal safety standards for stuff for pets are just lower than they are for humans, and it winds up being our job, and the job of our pets, to be the guinea pigs.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hun, if he wasn't blocked, he doesn't need PU surgery. :dk: That is a very, very, very last resort, and most cats go through multiple blockages before that decision is made. If you read through Dr. Pierson's site, the section on FLUTD at http://www.catinfo.org, you can see that the PU surgery often results in repeat actual infections - which are otherwise quite rare in male cats. So given that this 2nd time he wasn't even blocked, I can't even begin to imagine why your vet would suggest PU surgery, and so quickly. :scratch: This really makes no sense.

If it was bladder spasms, he needs an anti-spasmodic. Many cats are given amitriptyline for this. But if his bladder is spasming, with the fluids, the anti-inflammatories, potentially an anti-spasmodic (all of these things would be for a few weeks, most likely) - and likely a pain med for a day or two - and then a switch to a wet food (prescription) diet - his bladder will calm down, and the wet food (maybe with a little water added) will keep him flushed out.

PU surgery is for cats that repeatedly block. That he wasn't blocked this time is great news! What your boy needs is an anti-spasmodic and some time to let things settle down. :heart2:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Post didn't quote correctly, look below for my post vvvv

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hun, if he wasn't blocked, he doesn't need PU surgery.
That is a very, very, very last resort, and most cats go through multiple blockages before that decision is made. If you read through Dr. Pierson's site, the section on FLUTD at http://www.catinfo.org, you can see that the PU surgery often results in repeat actual infections - which are otherwise quite rare in male cats. So given that this 2nd time he wasn't even blocked, I can't even begin to imagine why your vet would suggest PU surgery, and so quickly.
This really makes no sense.

If it was bladder spasms, he needs an anti-spasmodic. Many cats are given amitriptyline for this. But if his bladder is spasming, with the fluids, the anti-inflammatories, potentially an anti-spasmodic (all of these things would be for a few weeks, most likely) - and likely a pain med for a day or two - and then a switch to a wet food (prescription) diet - his bladder will calm down, and the wet food (maybe with a little water added) will keep him flushed out.

PU surgery is for cats that repeatedly block. That he wasn't blocked this time is great news! What your boy needs is an anti-spasmodic and some time to let things settle down.
Very true. The surgery is for cats who continually block, like my cat. He needed the surgery because if his penis is removed, the crystals can flow through with the pee and be flushed out instead of getting stuck. But it doesn't sound like your cat has that problem.... so an anti-spasmodic should be in order. Also feed only wet food for more hydration and maybe something for the inflammation and pain

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is the conventional medicine agenda, mixed with what I see as an insidious pet food industry, that made me confused about what to do with my cat at the end. I just don't feel good about bringing a natural animal into a sterile and machinery based environment, with drugs and treatments, and medical speak, especially that there are typical things that happen to cats by a certain age often, probably cause of the food we call 'cat food'. I got my cat when she was eleven, and I eventually started feeding her real food, because it didn't feel right to feed processed dry or wet canned food... not to mention I started worrying about a few things I saw with her.

Would we eat fortified spam every meal of our lives, though I understand our bodies are different, but as an analogy, probably not! For even premium cat food, think of how many cans are on every shelf of every store in every country... this is an incredible mass of processed food that so many of us just buy because we've bought into the industry. FOOD IS FOOD! In my mind there shall be no separation... there is no such thing as 'human food'... it is FOOD, for ALL. People are also subject to a terrible food industry, especially in America, and it is continuously getting worse, more and more unnatural... and to think it's only the human mind that makes this happen, and laws put into place that make many more human minds think they have to follow.

I'm sorry if this long scroll should not be on this thread, but the vet your cat went to is even making experienced cat people on this site concerned, and much of what our kitties go through is what we go through because of an unnatural diet, and products or drugs that are supposed to suppress illness, but we don't seem to start at the beginning and treat us and our cats with prevention, and healthy eating from the start!

I really hope your li'l kitty gets more time, and gets through all of this.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is the conventional medicine agenda, mixed with what I see as an insidious pet food industry, that made me confused about what to do with my cat at the end. I just don't feel good about bringing a natural animal into a sterile and machinery based environment, with drugs and treatments, and medical speak, especially that there are typical things that happen to cats by a certain age often, probably cause of the food we call 'cat food'. I got my cat when she was eleven, and I eventually started feeding her real food, because it didn't feel right to feed processed dry or wet canned food... not to mention I started worrying about a few things I saw with her.

Would we eat fortified spam every meal of our lives, though I understand our bodies are different, but as an analogy, probably not! For even premium cat food, think of how many cans are on every shelf of every store in every country... this is an incredible mass of processed food that so many of us just buy because we've bought into the industry. FOOD IS FOOD! In my mind there shall be no separation... there is no such thing as 'human food'... it is FOOD, for ALL. People are also subject to a terrible food industry, especially in America, and it is continuously getting worse, more and more unnatural... and to think it's only the human mind that makes this happen, and laws put into place that make many more human minds think they have to follow.

I'm sorry if this long scroll should not be on this thread, but the vet your cat went to is even making experienced cat people on this site concerned, and much of what our kitties go through is what we go through because of an unnatural diet, and products or drugs that are supposed to suppress illness, but we don't seem to start at the beginning and treat us and our cats with prevention, and healthy eating from the start!

I really hope your li'l kitty gets more time, and gets through all of this.
Some cats need drugs, just like some people need drugs. Her cat seems to need some kind of anti-spasmodic medication.

Also, although I do not feed my cat raw because of time and nervousness of getting it wrong, I do feed them only canned food. Even then, my cat Buddha produced crystals and had a blockage. So even though I tried to prevent the crystals with the wet food + water added only diet, he still blocked. I think it's just how he was made. Some cats are destined to be continual blockers. That's why I'm glad he go the PU surgery, even if it was a "sterile and machinery based environment with drugs and treatments."

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm home for the weekend with Sammy. He was still laying around with his head over his water bowl.

He walks a little bit and just lays there. He jumped up on the toilet to drink so that is good. I put him in the bathtub with running water and he is DRINKING!!! I'm so happy! He was drinking a lot. Now hopefully he will pee. I put a rug in the tub for him to lay on and his kitty box at the other end. I'm going to keep him in the bathroom to monitor if he pees and to make sure he keeps drinking from the faucet:)

The vet said his problem is that his urethra is spasming. He is on amoxicillin 250 mg 1/2 tablet every 24 hrs til gone and dantrolene sodium 25 mg capsule 1/2 dose every 12 hrs for seven days for spasms. He's also on pain meds called Buprenex .28 ml every 8-12 hrs as needed.

Matt is giving Sammy instead of the amoxicillin pills he's giving him capsules we had for our dog. It is 500mg cephalexin and he is dumping powder out and getting it to 125 mg.

Does this make sense?

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And he still isn't eating. I tried wet food, cheese and also chicken. I put water in the canned food and NONE of my cats would eat it!

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All he does is sit there. He is drinking tho

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat didn't eat as much when he came home from the vet because he was nauseated from the antibiotics, anti-spasmodic, and pain meds. So maybe that's why he's not eating as much? Make sure he does eat something though. It's dangerous for a cat to go without eating for too long. Try different kinds of can foods, sprinkle parm cheese on top or Fortiflora. Or some of his old dry kibble crushed on top. Also, you could try adding tuna juice instead of water to the canned food.

Last edited:

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, drugs can help... I did try and medicate my cat at the end, to no avail. I wish though to sift through these industries of food (processed for instance, both for pets, and people), and medicine that just wants to 'sell' medicine and procedures. I am saddened by the way pets are subjected to poor food, people too.... and then subsequently end up with problems that inevitably send them to a doctor that makes money. Holistic ways are not as much any more, but still marginalized by a conventional institution of money making... we are scared to feed our pets FOOD (as in real food), which on some level doesn't seem right that processed food is the only way in many minds of veterinarians, and pet owners. The food my vet fed my cat, when she was in the hospitalized had one food item of chicken liver, and the rest was additives, not to mention CORN STARCH as the third ingredient.... this is a vet, that is supposed to help my cat, and corn starch is not something a sick kitty or any kitty needs.

My posts now are slightly off topic, but still tied in to this and many other threads....

I know this is about Sammy the cat, and hoping he'll continue to recover.... your cats are beautiful by the way, I wonder if wool might actually be healthier than some of the cat foods out there! Don't mean to joke in a time of stress for you.. really watching for this cat to get better!

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said his problem is that his urethra is spasming. He is on amoxicillin 250 mg 1/2 tablet every 24 hrs til gone and dantrolene sodium 25 mg capsule 1/2 dose every 12 hrs for seven days for spasms. He's also on pain meds called Buprenex .28 ml every 8-12 hrs as needed.

Matt is giving Sammy instead of the amoxicillin pills he's giving him capsules we had for our dog. It is 500mg cephalexin and he is dumping powder out and getting it to 125 mg.

Does this make sense?
Actually no it makes no sense at all. Did you get medication prescribed for your cat? If you have that medicine that should be what is given to the cat, not left over medicine from the dog. Different kinds of antibiotics are used for different kinds of conditions not to mention that one is prescribed for your cat with a specific condition and the other was for your dog for a different condition. There is zero chance Matt knows what he is doing. 

The reason your cat is sluggish and unwell looking is because he's in some serious pain. The best way to help him is to follow to the letter the dosage prescribed by the vet for the cat.

In his attempt to save money, Matt is going to end up costing you more money or end the cat's life.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the pictures - they are all lovely. With the beautiful image you gave it could be said that it gave me a focus to which I directed healing energy or a prayer, depending on how your belief system works. Please keep us updated.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Actually no it makes no sense at all. Did you get medication prescribed for your cat? If you have that medicine that should be what is given to the cat, not left over medicine from the dog. Different kinds of antibiotics are used for different kinds of conditions not to mention that one is prescribed for your cat with a specific condition and the other was for your dog for a different condition. There is zero chance Matt knows what he is doing.

The reason your cat is sluggish and unwell looking is because he's in some serious pain. The best way to help him is to follow to the letter the dosage prescribed by the vet for the cat.

In his attempt to save money, Matt is going to end up costing you more money or end the cat's life.
 Well said.

Unless the vet said you could substitute the meds, he is taking a big risk. 125mg of one antibiotic does not necessarily equal 125mg of another. And if he is guessing what a 125mg is, that is also silly. They may differ in potency and this could increase the risk of side effects and so forth.

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why does Matt think a dog's medicine can work for a cat? They are such different animals... I would recommend doing what you think is best!

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm worried about your cat... reminds me of my cat a couple months ago... in the bathtub, not eating.... she was fifteen and had other issues, drank some running water but wasn't eating... you cat still looks like he has weight which my cat lost quick in her last week. If you will do anything you can to keep this guy alive, take him to the vet, and do not let Matt tell you anything!!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please stop Matt from giving the cat antibiotics not prescribed specifically for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.