Tuesday 11/5/2013 8:00AM My cat isn't eating or going to the bathroom and is laying around crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes when we feel we're being helpful, we come off as being too blunt and thoughtless. Especially when it feels like someone is "attacking" our beloved pets. I did jump to conclusions after reading her post, so I apologize. It's true that maybe he is just ignorant, not intentionally being mean. I immediately thought that he was a vicious person for not wanting medical care for her cat rather than thinking maybe he doesn't understand what goes into cat healthcare.

varmint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ease get your cat to the vet.problems with bowel/bladder with cats is bad news.especially if left untreated.when the vet is over, and your furry companion is on the mend, politely talk with your fiancee about the love you have for your cat.im not trying to pry, but thats what it took for my ex to get the point across to me.now im a convert, the ex and i care for the feral cats here and i cant see my life without these critters being anything near as fulfilling as it is now.the fiancee likeky doesnt understand.

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, now I wonder if my opinion was too harsh, and I am sorry for it without knowing the people involved... but she did say something like he could, but wouldn't take kitty to the vet. Irregardless of his knowledge of cats, his loved one (woman) would like her beloved feline to be attended to, and he could show her love by carrying through with the task!

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any news on your cat? This isn't just a forum for support, and advice, it is one for learning, too!

Best wishes for your fur-family and also your future family.

varmint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dang.i cant believe the things i have read posted by some (not all) of the people here.im going to hang out a bit longer on this site but surely wont be much longer ifsch juvenile antics repeat themselves.maybe im just a fool but is this a site for our cats, or to dog a lady who is obviously under enough strain and worry? her cat. is sick.her heart is breaking.for gods sake BE KIND..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.  Thanks for being so kind and understanding.  My Fiance isn't usually so harsh with "our" animals... especially with this cat because Sammy was his before he was "ours".  He told me he wanted to wait 24 hours to see how he was.

I begged him to take him to the vet yesterday and he said he went home at lunch and checked on him and that he drank water.   He even sent me a video, which disturbed me even more because I could tell he wasn’t fine because he wasn’t walking right on his hind legs.  I was so mad and so sad.  He wouldn’t take him because he thought he would be fine.  I really couldn’t get off work.  Two other people had called off and I couldn’t leave (I’m a clerk at a children’s hsp).  He said he couldn’t leave work either.  He missed some work the day before and couldn’t miss any yesterday because he had engineers coming to his work to meet with him. 

We are under a lot of pressure because we are moving in 9 days and we are trying to save money for 1st month’s rent and security deposit so he is stressed out about it.   I have been with him for 11 years and have been living with him so it’s not like I’m moving in with him for the first time.  I am spoiled rotten, and so are all of my animals (3 dogs, 4 cats).  My Fiancé brought home 3 of the cats, and I brought home the other 1. 

I was shocked yesterday when he wouldn’t take him to the vet.   I was so mad at him! We got home yesterday after work and Sammy was hiding in a corner hardly moving.  I told my Fiancé that if he died that it was his fault and I hoped he would feel really bad.  He immediately got on the phone to find an emergency vet.  We took Sammy in right away and everyone was right.  He had a blockage.  They say it is crystals and he has to be on special food for the rest of his life.  They put him on a heart rate monitor and his heart was beating way too fast.  They gave him pain meds and  hooked him up to a catheter and drained his bladder and gave him fluids.  Since we are tight on money the vet was extremely nice and reduced the cost a lot so we could afford it.  We took Sammy home last night and gave him a comfy blanket in a room by himself so the other cats (and the kitten) wouldn’t bug him.  This morning he was still just lying there.  Hopefully after more doses of antibiotics he will be up and moving around.

Thank you everyone for your love and support of my/our Sammy.   For the record I am an animal lover and would never let anyone mistreat my animals let alone be with someone who would.  He still owes me a huge apology and he will listen to me in the future and not wait to take one of our babies to the vet.

varmint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wonderful.im sorry about the way you were greeted and treated by some of the folks here.im elated that you set the record straight and. super stoked your cat got to the vet.hope all works out for you and yours.please keep us posted.it does help sharing.some kind people here really helped our mo.he was a very sick kitty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Varmint, while perhaps people could have expressed their opinions more tactfully, as you can see, once it was pointed out that the issue may be one of lack of education rather than lack of concern, members who have been back to the thread tempered their subsequent posts.

This is a very deeply caring and compassionate - and at times passionate - community. :heart2: I'm sure anything said was not meant to hurt.

And many people react and post based on their experiences, I'm sure you can understand that. :heart2:

I happen to agree with Ibailey. In the end, the fiance's knowledge or lack thereof is moot. It's how the OP feels that *should* matter to him. :heart2:

Sadly, with those symptoms, there is no advice other than "please get kitty to the vet asap."

My thoughts go out to Julie and her kitty. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ETA: I posted before I saw your reply, Julie. I'm so sorry your boy was blocked,,but I'm so happy to hear we misread your anger, and thus just a misunderstanding. :hugs:

Your boy is obviously in good hands. :grphug2:

If you're not already familiar with this information, this site is written by a vet, and I'm sure both you and your fiance will find it very helpful, especially in light of what just happened. There is an entire section devoted to feline lower urinary tract (FLUTD) problems. http://www.catinfo.org

Last edited:

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear that Sammy is starting to feel better. It can be difficult when there is more than one person involved with making the decision of providing for a beloved pet. I am the sole decision maker in the treatment for my pets, but I have watched my parents. Over the years my dad has come to the point that when my mom says that one of the animals needs to go to the vet he doesn't question it. Hopefully after this experience your fiancee will listen and not try putting it off.

It is good that the vet was able to work with you on a payment that was affordable. Hopefully Sammy continues to improve quickly and is back to feeling like his old self again soon.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you - for bringing this up to date and context! I can now imagine how stressful it was given ALL that was going on at the time, and I feel so happy that you did manage to get Sammy in and diagnosed in time. Wow, that was a lot on your plate.

That's the problem with help forums... one cannot possibly know all the back story. So I apologize for my line of thought in questioning the reasons that certain choices were made. It is obvious that the circumstances were other than what it seemed.

I also hope that Sammy will continue to improve and appreciate learning what the reason behind it was. I'm just an old fart who is new to cats and their unconditional love and so my heart is on my sleeve these days.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay, I'm so relieved to hear Sammy got the help he needed and is recovering now
I hope you find this forum useful in learning more about his condition. And I hope your fiancée is feeling sheepish and will listen and help out in future when you say a pet is sick!! Best to all of you.

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are all very kind.  Thank you!!!  I'm still so sad (on the verge of crying) because I still don't see any improvement.  Sammy still isn't eating.  He isn't laying on the blanket that I left for him, and he hangs his head over his water bowl without drinking.  He trys to go to the bathroom but still isn't going.  My Fiance is giving him his pain meds and antibiotic timely, but I don't see any improvement.  Sammy just lays next to the water and looks out of it :(  Should I just keep waiting for him to get better or is there something I should do?  He's only 9 :(  I'm worried.. what if his kidneys shut down?  I just lost my 18 year old cat last year to the same thing (besides old age).  We didn't get any blood tests for Sammy, just the urinalysis.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give the vet a ring to let them know an update, just incase they need to see him again?.

It's a shame he didn't do blood tests to check his vital oragns?

When one of my cats was poorly, my vet asked me to ring him every day to let him know what she was like?

Lots of strong healthy  
coming over for the poor baby

Last edited:

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will call the vet this morning and let you know what they say.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know. Hopefully they'll say to hang on another 24 hours, but l know mine wanted to see Rosie straight away if there was no improvement the following day when he rang

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm just now going to the website.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your calling the vet again. Sammy may need an anti inflammatory for his bladder along with the other medications he is already receiving. Often after a blockage, the bladder and urethra are inflamed. I too would ask for a complete blood work up if they want you to bring him in again, just to rule out any other possible issues.

Sending you and Sammy
for his speedy recovery!

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cat blocked and went to the vet, he wasn't acting normal and still wasn't peeing when he came home. I called the vet and they said to bring him back immediately, he probably blocked again, which he did. So I would definitely call your vet asap.

juliepierce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long did it take for him to stay unblocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.