Trying to get Simba to gain weight by trying other foods, need help please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted by letting us know how things go!!
He turns his nose up at baby food, we found that out! I emailed the woman that had to net him years ago and told her he is still with us but having some issues, and she also suggested baby food, but she said he "might" come to like it, but he doesn't. I tried some Royal Canin and he eats a little of it, the Mother and Babycat and the Aging one, but Deb finally cooked some chicken for him and he LOVES that! Plus he does eat some wet food and dry food, he eats when he wants to, and he comes into the kitchen when I go in there because he has me "trained" to thinking I have to give him something, but when I do give him things he usually looks at it, looks at me like he is saying "what else you got?" ha ha!! She also suggested giving him Half and Half? She said it sounds crazy, but they can digest it, but I don't know about that...

The homeopathic remedy has been shipped, we are looking forward to getting it, getting him to take it, and hopefully it helps him like the many that left great reviews about it, and the symptoms that they described fit him almost perfectly, so we'll see what happens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the old man today? Kabuto says hi and headbutts.
He's pretty perky, thanks for asking! We have been paying extra attention to him lately, and he LOVES his chicken and also is eating some of the other newer things that we got him, some he snubs but some he will eat at least some of it.

And today I had a 40% off CVS discount coupon, I always use the coupons they send via email because if they see you are using them they will keep sending them, and they had Iams dry cat food there, chicken with other things, so I got it hoping that he would believe that it was treats, and he does!!! The pellets are small so it seems like treats and is better for him because he hasn't had any teeth in years, and when we came home he gobbled them up so that is good as this also has fish oils and probiotics in it. He appears that he is gaining some weight, and the thyroid support pill is closer to getting here now, so we will give that a try with not only him but Slim who also is losing weight, and he has been crying and quite vocal for awhile now so we assume he also is having thyroid issues. He also would have a heart attack if we tried to take him to the vet, Sabrina was his sister and that happened to her, and years ago his brother Skipper passed away suddenly at home and we just had him to the vet the day before, so no way he or Simba are going, Deb said if we took them and they had a heart attack she would too, can't have that...

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He at times lays on the brick hearth by the woodstove because it is cooler there, so I went and laid next to him, talking to him, petting him, just being with him. We laid there for awhile, then I got up and said "how about some treats?", and he made his way up to the kitchen, and him and Sylvester had some pieces of cold chicken from the fridge, then some cat treats and some Iams dry food and he drank some water and went and jumped back onto his chair. He certainly does look like he is gaining weight, but still has aways to go with it, but he doesn't seem in any distress or if so it is very mild. I do hear him snuffling a bit, he gets stuffed up at times, but when he lays on his chair and sleeps he looks so comfortable, he really snoozes!

This holisitic med is 1 hour 20 minutes away from us as of last night, so hopefully we get it tomorrow or Friday at the latest, IF the Post Office doesn't screw it up as they sometimes tend to do...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Our old cat ate Iams but neither of my cats will touch any grociery store foods.

Indy in particular has expensive tastes, she has since she was a kitten. Pet valu gave me two samples of their performatrin brand to try the less expensive prime and pricier ultra. Of course Indy only wants the ultra, only the finest for her. To there credit the canned stuff actualy has real chunks of meat and smells like real food.

She also likes wuvera bff if it is on sale.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we got the homeopathic remedy in today finally, it was in New Jersey 1 hour and 20 minutes away from us since Tuesday night, finally came in today, I could've walked down and back to get it faster than that but it is here, Simba and Slim both ate it in pieces of chicken, so we'll see how it goes. But he is acting better, looking better, gaining weight, not in the kitchen pushing us for food everytime we are in there, so he is perking up thank God. He did throw up several times yesterday, but he eats the chicken like it is going out of style, I tell him "slow down Sims" but he doesn't listen lol! And he is eating and really liking the Iams dry food but that has prebiotics and beet pulp, so that might throw him off a bit and take some getting used to, but he is really much improved since that night we said our goodbyes to him, he is responding.

And whatever he doesn't eat Sylvester is glad to clean up for him, I picked him up last night and said "I'm going to get screamed at when I take you in for your haircut in a few weeks, they'll ask why you gained 20 pounds!!!" :clapcat: :jester: 🤪

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He did throw up several times yesterday, but he eats the chicken like it is going out of style, I tell him "slow down Sims" but he doesn't listen lol!
Any chance to use a blender or food processor to make it less chunky? You can always put a golf ball or similar type ball in the dish to make him have to eat around it and slow him down some.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a ceramic slow feeder bowl for Kabuto because he would eat too fast.

It is technicaly for guiniepigs but is the perfect size for a cat. Amazon.ca this one is small but google brings up the dark green larger one which is a better size.

It is ceramic which is perfect because The rubbery mats and plastic ones make Kabuto break out in zits. Painful ones too.

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance to use a blender or food processor to make it less chunky? You can always put a golf ball or similar type ball in the dish to make him have to eat around it and slow him down some.
We actually don't put it in a dish, we just break off pieces and put it on the floor for him or whichever other one is there that has to horn their way in too! I used to break off small pieces because since he has no teeth I thought it would be easier for him, but it seems like he likes it when the pieces are a bit bigger, not too big that he can't eat it but just big enough that he can slurp it up with his tongue. And I also can just slow down in giving him pieces too, control the pace a bit more. Plus I'm not sure that caused him to vomit, it could've been like I said the mixture of the new foods and the Iams that has prebiotics and beet pulp in it.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise