Trying to get Simba to gain weight by trying other foods, need help please!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Our little old man Simba has to be 22, 23, maybe older, we took him in as a stray a LONG time ago and back then they thought he was 6-8 years old. He still eats, drinks water, loves treats, uses the litter box, but over the past few weeks we noticed he is getting thinner, but they all do as they age and at his age, well...so we tried to "spoil" him with about 6 or 7 different wet foods and soups and treats in hopes he would put on some weight; he did a bit, but by doing so it seems like it is giving him diarrhea but the other 4 cats that also like to "help" by eating what new foods he doesn't yesterday Deb said ALL had diarrhea, if it was just him we'd think he was very sick but they did too so it has to be the influx of new foods. He seemed very lethargic and uneasy last night, so much so that Deb & I said our goodbyes to him, told him we loved him and if he had to go he could "do what you need to do", went to bed not knowing what this morning would bring, but there he was, standing in the dining room, came right into the kitchen, I said "hi Simba!" and he gave me a little vocal reply back, was washing another cat, I put down the wet Fancy Feast that we have been feeding them for years along with 2 bowls of Blue chicken wet food, mixed in the vitamins and glucosamine, he ate some of it and then some of the Fancy Feast, drank water, went up onto his chair, then later went into a small cubby hole in the kitchen, we don't think he is doing it to go off to die but rather just for some "space" from the rest, but then returned to his chair and looked pretty relaxed, so we are hoping that it was just a bad day yesterday and he is feeling better now.

But we realize that we have to take a few steps back, go back to what they were eating before, add maybe a FEW new things, take it easy on the treats, not bomb away with 6-8 "new" foods, and he will eat what he wants and when. He loves the Fancy Feast dry food, we tried some Rachel Ray dry food, don't know if that is good or bad, seems like after we added that the other day this diarrhea issue seemed to strike up, I think it is chicken and brown rice, maybe we should stick with the Fancy Feast and are there other dry food brands that might be better and not make them run to the litter box? He loves chicken, can we cook some up and keep it in the fridge and heat it up and give him small pieces here and there? He pushes me to the wall when we eat chicken, and of course I give it to him, but any advice that you can give we would greatly appreciate, we want to keep the old guy well and around as long as we can but in good health!

And there is no way we could get him to a vet, he had to be netted many years ago to get there to have dental work done and it was horrible, plus we think he would have a heart attack and die like Sabrina did last year which also was horrible...

Any suggestions/thoughts on this??

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is eating pretty much the same amount of food in total and losing weight, the most common culprit is hyperthyroidism. But, if you can't/won't take him to a vet for blood work, including a T4 count, there is no way to know if that is the issue or not. Could you have an in-home vet to visit for a blood draw?

Aside from that, you could feed him baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut Stage 1) - each 2.5 ounce jar can contain anywhere from 60-90 calories depending on the brand/flavor. And all but the chicken flavor (due to calcium content) can have EZComplete added to it to make it nutritionally complete for a cat. I feed my 19+ yo baby food meat in addition to her regular food to help her maintain her weight.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can do a home vet visit, that might help. He likely does need bloodwork to check for an underlying condition causing the weight loss. That would be my best recommendation.

I also recommend kitten food for seniors as it's easy to digest and is a bit higher calories if they are loosing weight. I particularly like Royal Canin's Mother and Babycat wet and dry. The dry you can add water to as well; it's made for that. You may also be able to ask the vet for some of Royal Canin's Recovery food without bringing him in.

Feeding him on the counter or something may make it so you can block the other cats. I do that for Magnus and then clean up with Lysol wipes. I haven't noted any issues with his feet pads from using the surface and he's fairly sensitive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is eating pretty much the same amount of food in total and losing weight, the most common culprit is hyperthyroidism. But, if you can't/won't take him to a vet for blood work, including a T4 count, there is no way to know if that is the issue or not. Could you have an in-home vet to visit for a blood draw?

Aside from that, you could feed him baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut Stage 1) - each 2.5 ounce jar can contain anywhere from 60-90 calories depending on the brand/flavor. And all but the chicken flavor (due to calcium content) can have EZComplete added to it to make it nutritionally complete for a cat. I feed my 19+ yo baby food meat in addition to her regular food to help her maintain her weight.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion, we will look into this! I don't think an in home vet visit would be good, it would stress him and the others out, and I could see them being freaked out for awhile after that, sadly...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the vet would prescribe some gabapentin - often used to help calm a cat before a vet visit. The thing is if it would be hyperthyroidism and it goes untreated, he will continue to lose weight and it can cause heart issues along with high blood pressure, among other problems. The blood work would also be good to see if something else might be going on if the thyroid is OK.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can do a home vet visit, that might help. He likely does need bloodwork to check for an underlying condition causing the weight loss. That would be my best recommendation.

I also recommend kitten food for seniors as it's easy to digest and is a bit higher calories if they are loosing weight. I particularly like Royal Canin's Mother and Babycat wet and dry. The dry you can add water to as well; it's made for that. You may also be able to ask the vet for some of Royal Canin's Recovery food without bringing him in.

Feeding him on the counter or something may make it so you can block the other cats. I do that for Magnus and then clean up with Lysol wipes. I haven't noted any issues with his feet pads from using the surface and he's fairly sensitive.
Thank you also for this advice, we will look into it! We can't pick him up or he'll freak out; I remember when he was outside some people came by to adopt some of the outside cats and they said that they would take "any 2", and I remember thinking "this guy needs a home", but when I had him up in the air to try to put him into a carrier he mule kicked me so hard that he thrust himself out of my hands and I said "I guess you're not going..." and last night I told him "I'm glad you did that, so we took you in". :rbheart: So we'll just have to stand there and "police" the others from barging in on him lol!!

I wonder about some of these thryoid solutions that can be bought online, specially made to help with that? I wonder if I could try some on him and see what happens? I have used some products made by Pet Wellbeing and they worked well, maybe that would be okay to try?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the vet would prescribe some gabapentin - often used to help calm a cat before a vet visit. The thing is if it would be hyperthyroidism and it goes untreated, he will continue to lose weight and it can cause heart issues along with high blood pressure, among other problems. The blood work would also be good to see if something else might be going on if the thyroid is OK.
I just said on the post I just put on about trying some thyroid supplements from Pet Wellbeing, they are a well known company with a good reputation, and we've used some products of their's before and they worked well, what about trying that?

And we do have "Composure" pills that we use to "dope up" Sylvester before he goes for his haircuts and checkups. But we just are so so scared that he would get so worked up and die of a heart attack like Sabrina did last year when we had to take her to an emergency vet, just horrible, and we are so scared that would happen to him and we'd never forgive ourselves...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how something like an OTC product would compare to a thyroid med or food. And, even if it would do some good, without being able to measure Simba's thyroid level, how would you know what benefit it might or might not be giving him? I suppose you could give it to him and hope he stops losing as much weight. The key is to reduce the hormone production that comes from an overgrowth on the thyroid gland. The larger the tumor grows, the greater amount of the hormone overproduction. Do you know about hyperthyroidism? The two main problems are high blood pressure and heart issues.

Is your only concern about his heart due to what happened to Sabrina? Or do you know he has a heart issue? If not, why would you automatically assume that he might have the same issue? If he were to have hyperthyroidism, you could be letting a heart issue develop - sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you will.

Talk to your vet about options and see if they have any others you could entertain.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how something like an OTC product would compare to a thyroid med or food. And, even if it would do some good, without being able to measure Simba's thyroid level, how would you know what benefit it might or might not be giving him? I suppose you could give it to him and hope he stops losing as much weight. The key is to reduce the hormone production that comes from an overgrowth on the thyroid gland. The larger the tumor grows, the greater amount of the hormone overproduction. Do you know about hyperthyroidism? The two main problems are high blood pressure and heart issues.

Is your only concern about his heart due to what happened to Sabrina? Or do you know he has a heart issue? If not, why would you automatically assume that he might have the same issue? If he were to have hyperthyroidism, you could be letting a heart issue develop - sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you will.

Talk to your vet about options and see if they have any others you could entertain.
We don't know of him having any heart issues, but after experiencing what happened to Sabrina, having to catch her and take her to the vet only to have her have a heart attack and die really left it's mark on us. We could lightly pet her or scratch her neck, that's it, so we never could pick her up, and we were shocked when the vet asked if we ever held her and we said no, she thought that was the case, she had a large cancerous tumor on her chest, but we never would've known that unless we could hold her. And knowing how crazy Simba gets, when we finally trapped him many years ago and had to keep him in a large dog crate in the garage overnight until the vet was open the next day, he tore the newspaper and other things we put in there to shreds, in fact the vet doubted that he'd ever calm down well enough to be a good indoor cat, but they were very wrong.

I'm looking into foods that would help him a bit more naturally rather than a supplement since we don't know for sure if that is his issue. But along with losing weight he has been throwing up more than usual these weeks past, but tonight he is really perky, Deb said he was very much improved today so that is good, but we don't want to just think he's fine, obviously there is something going on other than his old age, but while we know getting some vet work done would be great we just don't see that happening, if you could've seen how violent he was when he had to be netted years ago to get dental work done you'd believe why, the woman said "I don't ever want to do that again", and she is an experienced TNR person, he just goes nuts, and we are certain the stress would kill him.

And I did call the vet's office and left a long message, the only thing I got was a call back saying they couldn't prescribe or suggest anything unless we brought him in, no kidding...we know that but it isn't going to happen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The main issue is to lower the iodine as that is what feeds the thyroid tumor. Iodine is not normally one of the listed elements in many cat foods, but you can contact any of them and ask for the level in their food. Most of the companies are pretty accommodating. The only other aspect relative to getting low iodine foods, is that pretty much has to be all Simba would eat in order for them to be effective.

There are prescription foods that can do the same things as hyperthyroid meds. The key is to getting Simba to eat them - and, to get a vet to prescribe them without testing first.

Some of the folks might also be able to suggest certain low iodine foods they have found, but here are a few to consider.
Best Cat Food for Hyperthyroidism 2023 Cats.com
6 Best Cat Foods for Hyperthyroidism in 2023 - Reviews & Top Picks - Excited Cats

As I understand it, lowering the iodine level in cat food for a cat that doesn't have the condition is not a big issue, but you can read up on it more for yourself through searches on the internet relative to hyperthyroidism.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
The main issue is to lower the iodine as that is what feeds the thyroid tumor. Iodine is not normally one of the listed elements in many cat foods, but you can contact any of them and ask for the level in their food. Most of the companies are pretty accommodating. The only other aspect relative to getting low iodine foods, is that pretty much has to be all Simba would eat in order for them to be effective.

There are prescription foods that can do the same things as hyperthyroid meds. The key is to getting Simba to eat them - and, to get a vet to prescribe them without testing first.

Some of the folks might also be able to suggest certain low iodine foods they have found, but here are a few to consider.
Best Cat Food for Hyperthyroidism 2023 Cats.com
6 Best Cat Foods for Hyperthyroidism in 2023 - Reviews & Top Picks - Excited Cats

As I understand it, lowering the iodine level in cat food for a cat that doesn't have the condition is not a big issue, but you can read up on it more for yourself through searches on the internet relative to hyperthyroidism.
This is great, thanks!! I will look into it. They are very costly but he's worth it.

I also emailed a question to a "vet" on the Pet Wellbeing website, asking if it would be okay to try their product without him having a vet check or bloodwork, I asked if we could try it and observe if it is helping or making things worse, we'll see what they say.

Thanks again!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a homeopathic product from Best Life 4 Pets for the thyroid, we used some of their products before and they worked and being homeopathic they were not harsh. And I am going to get some of the foods on the list you posted.

I take homeopathic remedies and they work, I know some don't believe they do but I do, it got very good reviews from people describing his symptoms to a tee.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder about some of these thryoid solutions that can be bought online, specially made to help with that? I wonder if I could try some on him and see what happens? I have used some products made by Pet Wellbeing and they worked well, maybe that would be okay to try?
Nothing "over the counter" aka online is regulated. Since they aren't regulated, the contents can't be guaranteed from bottle to bottle. You won't be able to actually know the dosage he's getting or the one he needs.

There are medications to help calm him, and he is older and less mobile now.

There is a hyperthyroid food, but you'll have to get a vet to agree to prescribe it without seeing your cat.

Hyperthyroidism can also mask and cause a number of conditions...that's why it's important to try calming medication like gabapentin and get some tests run.

Plus if it's NOT hyperthyroid, you won't want to be treating for that as that could cause other issues.

Hyperthyroidism in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

Cat Losing Weight: Causes & When To See A Vet - Cats.com

Types of Anxiety Medication for Cats | PetMD

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Kabuto has early stage Congestive Heart Disease and a grade 3 murmer because he was able to hide his hyperthyroidism from me for so long. Vet picked it up at a routine checkup. I honestly thought I was golng to lose him at one point. He was just so boney.

It is a very sneaky disease. Kabuto is doing very well on a drug called felimazole. It does require a perscription though and I don't know any vet that would perscribe it without a bloodtest.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing "over the counter" aka online is regulated. Since they aren't regulated, the contents can't be guaranteed from bottle to bottle. You won't be able to actually know the dosage he's getting or the one he needs.

There are medications to help calm him, and he is older and less mobile now.

There is a hyperthyroid food, but you'll have to get a vet to agree to prescribe it without seeing your cat.

Hyperthyroidism can also mask and cause a number of conditions...that's why it's important to try calming medication like gabapentin and get some tests run.

Plus if it's NOT hyperthyroid, you won't want to be treating for that as that could cause other issues.

Hyperthyroidism in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

Cat Losing Weight: Causes & When To See A Vet - Cats.com

Types of Anxiety Medication for Cats | PetMD
In post #12 I talked that we will be going with a homeopathic remedy so standardization doesn't apply to it, and if it doesn't help it wouldn't hurt him. But again, we know that he would have a heart attack from the stress just like Sabrina did, and to see them bring her out after she was dead after they tried CPR on her, her body mangled, her face distorted, tongue hanging out, we will never erase that horrible memory, no way we would put him through a similar ordeal and we are certain it would happen.

In a perfect world, yes, getting him to the vet and getting checked out is the right thing to do, but it just won't happen with him, unless we totally knocked him out here at home, but once he would come to and realize where he was we're sure it would happen then, we wish we could take him but we can't, believe me, we can't...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking my cat for her rabies vaccine. I give her gabapentin 2 hours before her appointment to make her feel much calmer. I crush the pill,dip it in churu tube,tiki stick, or cream cheese mixed with milk, then spread it on her body. Cats cannot stand to be dirty! Simba hiding in his cubby hole is a sign he is in pain. Inflammation only medacine from a doctor can help

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Homeopathic remedys can work for some individuals (another user on here touts s boulardii for stomach issues) just be aware what works for one doesn't work for all but then again, neither does conventional treatment.

It would be a good idea to go over doesing with your vet though just to be sure you are using the right amount. Just as you would ask your doctor for input.

It is defenatly worth a shot as long as you are careful.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking my cat for her rabies vaccine. I give her gabapentin 2 hours before her appointment to make her feel much calmer. I crush the pill,dip it in churu tube,tiki stick, or cream cheese mixed with milk, then spread it on her body. Cats cannot stand to be dirty! Simba hiding in his cubby hole is a sign he is in pain. Inflammation only medacine from a doctor can help
He ony went in there a few times, he is back on his usual chair now.I think it was from the intense heat we were having here that made him go there.

Check into the Compusure pills by Vetri Science, if your cat eats them it'll be a lot easier for you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Homeopathic remedys can work for some individuals (another user on here touts s boulardii for stomach issues) just be aware what works for one doesn't work for all but then again, neither does conventional treatment.

It would be a good idea to go over doesing with your vet though just to be sure you are using the right amount. Just as you would ask your doctor for input.

It is defenatly worth a shot as long as you are careful.
We'll go by the amount recommendations on the bottle, it goes by the cat's weight. I doubt my vet would know anything about homeopathic remedies (just like most people doctors), plus they already told me they couldn't do anything for us unless we bring him in, so that's out.