Trout VS the Vet

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Sabina whines the entire time, but she puts up with everything. I cannot even imagine her ever hissing at anyone or anything...she never has...it's true, I've never seen her hiss ever.

JinJin does not tolerate the vet...at all. Once when I brought her in, she flipped out, scratched someone up pretty badly (trying to escape), and we had to throw a towel over her. The whole fiasco ended with a night at the ER vets because she was so tachypneic and tachycardic that the vet (new vet...refuse to see her ever again) was afraid she was going to crash, and told me to get to the ER vets ASAP and hustled me out the door. The trouble was that the ER vets didn't open for another hour, so the next half an hour was me panicking and driving to the clinic, and the next half hour I spent crying over her carrier, and talking to her (breathing frantically), while my friend banged on the doors of the clinic. Several months later I took her in for a spay and dental, and I haven't taken her back since. I know I should, at least to get her teeth checked, but the first time almost killed us both.
Does JinJin have anxiety problems hon? Next time you need to take her to the vet- ask the vet for a sedative to give her yourself (some of them you can mix in with a little soft food) so that she's much more calm/ easier to handle and won't panic as much
That should greatly help!!!

squatting puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens Sugar and Spice hate the car ride... but I actually let them out of the carrier when we're in the car, because they like to look outside, and then they stop crying when they have a view to go with the bumpy motion. Spice doesn't like to be handled and Sugar is a sweetheart, but she gets squirmy under the anal thermometer

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Squatting pUMA

My kittens Sugar and Spice hate the car ride... but I actually let them out of the carrier when we're in the car, because they like to look outside, and then they stop crying when they have a view to go with the bumpy motion. Spice doesn't like to be handled and Sugar is a sweetheart, but she gets squirmy under the anal thermometer
I love your cat's names
too cute!!!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skye and Sundance are fine at the vet. Sundance loves the vet. Calamitty just growlss and spits at the vet the whole time.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of all the times I've taken Sash to the vet in his almost 15 years I have never heard even a peep out of him in the car, he even likes to look out the window sometimes in the car, so he doesn't mind the car ride. His carrier he's usually laying in before it's even time to go, so all mommy has to do his lock the door, so that's easy too. It's usually not long before we come home and he's back sleeping in his carrier, silly boy.

Now, at the vet's is sometimes a different story. He's very quiet there, I just have to try to keep him on the exam table while we wait for the doctor to come in because he keeps trying to jump off the table and get back in his carrier, little brat.
When the vet techs check his temperature and weight he's usually very good. Then we wait for the doctor to come in, at first he's fine, but once she starts feeling around his stomach and touching him more then he starts to growl and will sometimes swing at her and hiss. He's not too fond of when she checks his teeth either, that usually makes him growl and hiss again.

After that, they usually let him calm down a few mintues before they come to get him to take him for his bloodwork. This is the time I'm usually a nervous wreck waiting to see how he'll do when they try to draw blood. Sometimes he's very good and sometimes not so good. There have been times when the vet tech has carried him back in and they say he was very good and there were a few times they had to muzzle him because he totally freaked out and scratched the girls there.

So, we just never know what type of day he'll have there. But overall, I guess he's not as bad as some, but not as good as some of your angels either at the vets. I do feel incredibly guilty though and it makes me feel so bad when he has a bad time there, terrifies me to ever have to put him through that again.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Frisco is very nervous, as he is with any strange place, but he is very well behaved. He does not struggle, squirm or make any sound, just shivers a little.