Trout VS the Vet

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boys are night and day!

Possum is very scared, but is beginning to try to explore the room more each visit. He does try to get back into his carrier to hide, so we have to keep it shut (we have to "dump" him out, gently, to get him out.) A lot of the time he will curl up in my arms or on the table and push his face (hard) into the crook of my elbow. Fortunately, he doesn't try to bite or scratch or excessively try to get away when he has to get his temperature taken or get a shot.

When we get home he'll hide from me for a few hours, but warms up to me again quickly. He'll be a little more skittish than usual. The trip to and from are okay enough, but he doesn't like being in the carrier; I have to scoop him up calmly and quickly and put him in it. There can be no mistakes, because if there is, I probably won't get him in. He doesn't like being picked up in the first place.

The funniest thing is that the entire pitch of his voice completely changes! Normally he has a very high pitched voice, but when he gets into that carrier, his voice gets very low, and definitely not happy sounding. Seriously, he sounds like a completely different cat!

Loki on the other hand is much easier in everything. He also doesn't like being in the carrier, but you can just pop him in with very little trouble. He cries in the carrier like I'm giving him away, but once I let him out he's fine. He comes right out, doesn't try to hide in the carrier. He's completely at ease, friendly, and very inquisitive.

At the most recent trip to the vet, he acted like the room was the same as our home. He looked around, jumped from one place to another. At one point he even flopped down and laid on the floor. He doesn't bite or scratch, but you do have to hold him so he doesn't get away when the vet takes his temperature. However, he's fine with getting shots.

Loki was really funny with the vet, too. He was rubbing on him a lot, nuzzling him, and just purring the enitire time! It was really cute. He's okay when we get home, too, for the most part, though he does seem slightly wary.

Tricia

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The current vet is nice, but the place I went some 20 years ago were horrible! I don't even want to talk about it

Chynna is a social butterfly and just loves people, regardless of who they are. She never cries in the cat carrier and is very co-operative and loving with the vet. Even gives them kisses on the nose and purrs. They love when she comes to see them, lol

Abby? She's a very social cat, but only with me and a select few people that she deems worthy. She is terrified of the cat carrier and if I don't get her in on the first try, she's gone and hiding behind the water bed or in some other place that I can't get to her. So she doesn't do too well at the vets.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well all mine are pretty good, Cammie doesn't like it much she's been there way to many times she just sticks her butt up in the air every time someone talks to her
Now Mickey poops in the carrier as soon as you get him in the car
And that is very pleasant when your driving at all

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww Trout!

Mine are usually ok?. Rosie i used to think would be one to hiss at the vet because she hisses at me if i try and make her do something like going in her carrier, but she just stays hidden in her carrier or curls up on the table but the vet said she's scared because she was a stranger to her.

Sophie purrs and rolls on her back on the vets table.

And Jack purrs, and just like Sev they can hardly hear his heartbeat because he's got a really loud purr on him when he gets going

Originally Posted by Bella713

I took Sev with him thinking it would be good for moral support and he peed on Sev in the carrier then he pooped next to him on the examining table
Oh poor Sev

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used to have one of those big pet taxis. Both kitties knew exactly what it was for, and would RUN when they saw me taking it out
We have since gotten one of the soft sided carriers. Neither of them knew what it was for. Sneaky Pie got into the carrier by herself, and purred in it. Mistoflees doesn't care about it either.

I say this b/c I thought that maybe changing the carrier would change how the cats saw the vet. Nope. Sneaky was purring in the carrier- until I put it in the car. Meowing started, and she carried on all the way to the vet. The only time she ever tried to bite the vet, was when she hurt her leg, and they tried to give her an x-ray. She'll try to run if you aren't watching her.

Poor Mistoflees. All he does is shake the whole time we're there. Then he wants to hide in the carrier. Since this one is soft on the bottom, he dug his claws into it when we got there, so I had to try to pry him off of it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Oh, that's horrible! I also didn't know they could do that. <shudder>

Tricia
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Egads!
I didn't know they could do that!
Oh, they can! I used to think it was an involuntary reaction due to fear, but Jamie always manages to hit a vet or vet tech in the face, and there's a Persian mix at our shelter who hits anybody holding a comb or brush right on the hand and lower arm, so I'm pretty sure it's deliberate. Why else would they have such good aim?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I guess I didn't think of half your cats being that horrible! They seem so sweet online!

I'm fortunate that no one gives the vets or vet techs any problems. Whitey loves the doctors chair and just getting attention. Patches and Beauty are easy going...actually Patches is so raked with fear that she just has that "Do whatever you want. just get it over with as fast as possible" stance.

Luna can be a little uncooperative, but at least she's small...so the vets win every time.

The trips to and from the vet are different stories though. Heck I'm pretty much done with car rides and cats for a while

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I have those.
Oreo has stamped all over her file: Beware: requires sedation!
She goes berserk at the vets. I know this is because she had a horrible experience with the vet when she first was adopted by us. She was taken off the streets at about 9 months old and they had her fixed...well the shelter did not take the stitches out and let them sit.
So we took her into the vet after adopting her and the stitches had crusted over!!! They had to dig them out. Anyway, she now turns into devil cat when at the vets.

Tosh is fine for the vets (he just lets me know his unhappiness by pooping and such in his carrier
)
Snickers and Jazz do very well. Snickers is the type that just lays there and submits to whatever.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls aren't too bad. I just have to take the top off the carrier to get them to come out. Once they are out, they are pretty good. They do sing all the way there, but this last time they both were pretty quiet on the trip home!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pepper loves the vet! I don't mind taking him at all. He likes the car ride, he likes the people, he just likes everything about it. Well, that is until last time. I don't like the vet that we saw last time.... I don't think we will be going back there. They made Pepper cry and he always liked the vet! Petunia, on the other hand, hates everything about the vet. The car ride, the people, everything. I hate taking her because she cries, pees, and is just generally miserable!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are really good at the vets, treat it just like home.

They are happy to get examined (don't even mind getting their temps checked!) then they'll walk around the office, look out the window. Demetri will steal the treats

Probably helps that our vet is also a show judge and breeder so they see her at least once a month at shows

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I took Swanie to the vet (when he was younger and smaller), he thought the examining room looked like a great place to explore. Then the vet started poking at him. When she tried to take the gunk out of his nose (why I had him there), he started hissing.

He's gotten worse every visit. He's not bothered on the way there, or in the waiting room, but once in the examining room he immediately starts to hiss, which progresses to growls, which progresses to snapping.

The last time I had him there he had a lump and a dark patch on his nose. The vet tech poked at it, another tech came in and poked at it. Then the vet came in and he wouldn't let her anywhere near him or his nose. She actually got a tongue depressor and tried to stand back from him to look at it.

Once back home, all is forgiven and he's his normal sweetie pie self.

Cindy, on the other hand, tries to make herself as small as possible and goes very docile. And when we get home, it's under the bed for awhile.

Both reactions just about break my heart because I know it's because they are both so scared.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all pretty good about going to the vet fortunately.
Jasmine actually LIKES the vet
When we put her on the table she just purrs away and rubs up against he vets and gives kisses
Our vet LOVES her!

As far as the vet techs go, the ones that work at the vet's office i use are sweet- but since i know the vet very well and i am a vet tech myself, i draw the blood and do a lot of the stuff myself because my cats do better for me

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Funny thing is that she doesn't say a thing on the way back home! That's what makes me think she's worried about going back to rescue. After she sees it's the vet, she's ok!
Maybe she thinks if she cries like she did on the way there, she will have to go through it all again! lol

Mine will crawl under each other and try to flatten out as much as possible to fit into that one semi-dark corner where they think they can't be found. I always bring a towel with me now to give them some sort of hiding place with their kennel.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HUmmm

RB Kandie loved her male vets and was an angel .... when I changed she was fine with the accupucturist but was a DEVIL for her other vet ..... but vet chalked it up to Calico ness

Zoey is a SHOCKER , the can be freaky semi feral lets me hold her the whole time( this is not okay at home) and lets them examine her fine.... the carrier is another issue

Gigi the cute yorkie is the ONE with the DANGEROUS sticker....lol on treatment days VOM , accupucture the like ... I get the how is Gigi s attitude today and will I need a muzzle now or later

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat adores the vet. She adores all people though, where there are people, she is happy. She doesn't care, she has been spayed, chipped, has blood taken, etc and still loves the vet. The vet and vet techs remark on how nice she is and how easy she is to work with.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sabina whines the entire time, but she puts up with everything. I cannot even imagine her ever hissing at anyone or anything...she never has...it's true, I've never seen her hiss ever.

JinJin does not tolerate the vet...at all. Once when I brought her in, she flipped out, scratched someone up pretty badly (trying to escape), and we had to throw a towel over her. The whole fiasco ended with a night at the ER vets because she was so tachypneic and tachycardic that the vet (new vet...refuse to see her ever again) was afraid she was going to crash, and told me to get to the ER vets ASAP and hustled me out the door. The trouble was that the ER vets didn't open for another hour, so the next half an hour was me panicking and driving to the clinic, and the next half hour I spent crying over her carrier, and talking to her (breathing frantically), while my friend banged on the doors of the clinic. Several months later I took her in for a spay and dental, and I haven't taken her back since. I know I should, at least to get her teeth checked, but the first time almost killed us both.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quill loves his carrier! The moment I set it down he'll sniff around and eventually he'll go inside. When I lock it he'll just sit there with a mildly surprised look in his eyes and then we just go to the car. In the car he's okay. I talk to him and try to calm his nerves, but when we get to the vets he's let out of the carrier and he'll first of all sniff around and then dive under the chairs. When the vet calls us into the exam room I'll pick him up and set him in the room where he'll just look around until examination time. He's very, VERY good during exam time. He might try to hop off the table but it's mostly sticking to me like velcro when everything's being done. Needles are nothing to him, although he might be shaking a little after. Blood draws, pfft. He's very well behaved. Quill is such a brave boy
, although I'll give him tons of kisses after. The techs and the vet love him there, they say he's an absolute sweetie