Tritrichomonas diagnosis and cat care help

mwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Speces: cat. Age : 7 months. Sex: neutered. Breed: Ragdoll/Topaz. Weight: 8lb 6 oz. History: GI issues since I got him. Clinical signs: liquid diarrhea multiple times a day, bloating, flatulence, malodorour stool, weight loss, course hair. Duration: assuming his entire life but I've had him for 2 months. Location: Salt Lake City

Hi all, I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any insight or help with this terrible parasite. I got a kitten who was misdiagnosed with giardia, and after hours or research and reading forums/reddit (thanks ya'll, my vet just wanted to do food allergy stuff), I sent his poop to a lab to test for tritrich. He's done one treatment of Ronidazole, and 4 days after treatment, he developed soft, light colored stinky poops again. I have sent his poop off again to get retested. He was treated with liquid Ronidazole. He's on biome hills hard food and Tiki Cat soft food. Also, a pre/probiotic in his soft food and 1/8 teaspoon of psyllium husk powder for some extra fiber. I scoop his poop after he poops and almost every time he poops I wipe his butt. I exchange the litter box every week as well.
He does have housemates, one has been testing negative, and the other got treatment with him. Her poop is out for testing too.
I would love to hear your story, success, or not. While he was on the medicine, he was gaining weight, and ever since the diarrhea started again, he's lost some and isn't gaining again.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
here is another thread that has some links in it that may be of help to you:

From what I've read, it usually takes at least two rounds of Ronidazole to beat this thing, at minimum :sigh:.