Tricked Pregnant Stray Cat Into House

marleesa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After feeding a stray cat on my porch for several months I wanted to bring her in the house. My plan was to have her spayed before the Toms got her. She would not let me touch her, but would step just inside the front door to eat. Well....I removed the hydraulics from the screen door and tied a string to the handle. When she stepped in the eat, I closed the door behind her. She went crazy for a few minutes but eventually calmed down. I still wanted to get her spayed. I was able to trap her while in the house. Long story short...she was able to escape the trap before I could get her to the vet. She hides all day long and only comes out at night or when I'm not home.

She now has 4 kittens and I can't get anywhere near her or them. She hisses and growls. They will be 3 weeks in two days. I know I am going to have to start preparing food for them soon, as she will start weening. Any suggestions on how to get mom to let me near enough to begin handling the kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where in the house is she located? How are you feeding mom if she won't let you close?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleesa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where in the house is she located? How are you feeding mom if she won't let you close?
She is in the living room...under a side table. I put cardboard around 2 sides to make it more private. Her food, and litter box are in a nearby room.

I just tried to remove a small footstool that was under the table. She lashed out at me big time. I was able to remove it using long tongs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's actually a good thing they are nesting in a public area of the house. Mom is being rightfully defensive around her babies, but they will begin to emerge from under the table very soon to explore.

They may be leery of you, but if you sit on the floor and speak softly and make no sudden movements, they will check you out. You will ultimately be able to handle them and offer them food. Mom may begin to relax more then too.

marleesa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope so. So far, I feel like a complete failure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try not to feel that way! You've given a safe haven to this kitty and her babies. She is just a fearful gal all pumped up with pregnancy and lactating hormones who is trying to protect her brood. I really do think that things will change. The kittens really will come out and mom will gain more trust in you as she sees you loving and feeding her babies. :lovecat2:

Last edited:

marleesa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's actually a good thing they are nesting in a public area of the house. Mom is being rightfully defensive around her babies, but they will begin to emerge from under the table very soon to explore.

They may be leery of you, but if you sit on the floor and speak softly and make no sudden movements, they will check you out. You will ultimately be able to handle them and offer them food. Mom may begin to relax more then too.
Well...they are started to wander a little from their "nest." Unfortunately, every time I walk into the room, they scurry back into hiding. I have laid belly down a couple of feet from the entrance. Mom won't let them come out. She blocks them and "talks" to them. I have tried using cat wands to lure them out. No luck. I'm getting a little afraid I am never going to be able to handle them. Tomorrow they will be 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure she will be weening very soon. I will be putting food out for them and adding a litter box. Any ideas for me. I'm feeling a little desperate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to relax a little and keep trying. Four weeks is a little young. Just sit in the room but not right next to the table. The kittens will eventually check you out. Mom will relax more too.

Moms get nervous when their kittens first start to leave the nest. They also may not be ready for soft food until 5 or even 6 weeks. Give it more time!

marleesa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate your responses. I'm doing the best I can, but your advise helps a lot. How do ai know when to start putting food out for them? A couple of them have taken a few laps of mom's water. I bought some stage 2 kitten weening powder just in case. It feels like a 24/7 job. I will try harder to relax. Thanks again for posting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can put out a dish of formula milk starting now. Mom might like it too!

You can try the kittens on wet food anytime also. They may or may not be ready.

You'll want to put a kitten-sized litter pan nearby also, with non-clumping litter since kittens like to taste it. I recommend a disposable aluminum pan from the dollar store in the beginning.

Food should help eventually with the bonding process! :)