Treats for cats who eat frank n prey?

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do people use as treats for frank n prey cats?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything they want :tongue2:. But if you want to avoid nasty ingredients and such, freeze-dried meats are usually good.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I do offer treats, it usually ends up being freeze dried meats. I know a lot of people recommend Whole Life Freeze Dried Chicken Breast: http://amzn.com/B007THO6XO.

Also, I feed "boneless frankenprey" and my guys tummy doesn't do so well with fresh livers, I typically give him FD Chicken Livers, which are used to meet his 5%.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feed them treats, usually. But like the others, if I do, I use freeze dried meat treats - usually freeze dried chicken or freeze dried chicken liver.

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I do offer treats, it usually ends up being freeze dried meats. I know a lot of people recommend Whole Life Freeze Dried Chicken Breast: http://amzn.com/B007THO6XO.

Also, I feed "boneless frankenprey" and my guys tummy doesn't do so well with fresh livers, I typically give him FD Chicken Livers, which are used to meet his 5%.
My guys tummy doesn't do well with fresh livers, either.  I wonder why.  Everytime I gave them fresh liver, I see shapeless poops in litter.  I wonder why.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are you feeding the fresh liver - and how much? If the 5% liver in a prey model raw diet is fed all at once, it usually winds up with soft poop. Most split it into 2-3 meals fed with meat and or meat/bone. Liver is high in phosphorus, and it's best fed with some form of calcium, or you get soft poop.

The problem a couple of my kids have with fresh liver is they can't keep it down.

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I gave them too much.   I didn't really weigh the meat and liver, I typically just eye measure it, and it is about 5-10% of the meal..

Besides liver, which organs do you feed them?  Should we feed kidney? 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep. The prey model raw guidelines are 80% meat, 6-10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% "other secreting organ," which includes kidney, spleen, pancreas, brains.... heart and gizzards are both "muscle' organs.

I feed beef kidney because it's easy to source. I have several cats that HATE kidney (or can't keep it down). For them, I either give 10% raw liver, or freeze dried liver (at the fresh 10% equivalent). But I just ordered green tripe with spleen, so we'll see how that goes... :lol3:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep. The prey model raw guidelines are 80% meat, 6-10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% "other secreting organ," which includes kidney, spleen, pancreas, brains.... heart and gizzards are both "muscle' organs.

I feed beef kidney because it's easy to source. I have several cats that HATE kidney (or can't keep it down). For them, I either give 10% raw liver, or freeze dried liver (at the fresh 10% equivalent). But I just ordered green tripe with spleen, so we'll see how that goes...
I'm guessing you'll be cutting and separating THAT outside because of the stench
.  Can't wait to hear all about it.  (secretly, I've been thinking about ordering this myself...maybe that's what it's going to take to get my pickies to LOVE raw
)

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I feed beef kidney because it's easy to source. I have several cats that HATE kidney (or can't keep it down). For them, I either give 10% raw liver, or freeze dried liver (at the fresh 10% equivalent). But I just ordered green tripe with spleen, so we'll see how that goes...

I'm guessing you'll be cutting and separating THAT outside because of the stench
.  Can't wait to hear all about it.  (secretly, I've been thinking about ordering this myself...maybe that's what it's going to take to get my pickies to LOVE raw
)
When I cut up our kidney, it actually wasn't too bad! I really didn't smell anything. It just stinks that Naku can't keep it down and Esme just won't touch it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing you'll be cutting and separating THAT outside because of the stench :lol3: .  Can't wait to hear all about it.  (secretly, I've been thinking about ordering this myself...maybe that's what it's going to take to get my pickies to LOVE raw :crackup: )
Yeah, in 20 degrees, I'll go have fun using the picnic table covered in ice. :flail: I'm thinking... working with it inside while it's still mostly frozen - instead of working with it outside so I become mostly frozen. :lol3:

When I cut up our kidney, it actually wasn't too bad! I really didn't smell anything. It just stinks that Naku can't keep it down and Esme just won't touch it.
I agree, but Carolina called it jelly pee. :flail: She must have had a particularly stinky batch? :dk: I've also found that if I don't let it dethaw all the way, I can hardly smell it.

...which is why I'm hoping it'll be simliar for the green tripe. :lol3:

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed around .20 oz of liver and .25 oz of kidney a day.  Ritz especially likes kidney.

The organs, especially liver, are easier to cut into tiny amounts if partially frozen. 

I forget--is tripe a protein? organ?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tripe isn't an organ, it's the stomach lining of a cow. It has a Ca:p ratio of 1:1 and is full of probiotics - and heaps of other stuff. Very packed with nutrition. The spleen is often attached. That's a secreting organ.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie - do you feed the tripe like muscle meat then? I think I will have to Google what a spleen looks like because I have no idea! I love tripe, myself, and I know Walmart sells it for dirt cheap and a gigantic amount!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the tripe for raw pet food is different than the tripe for people. What Walmart sells is bleached tripe. This is "green" tripe. Green tripe isn't sold for human consumption - I don't think you'd ever find it in a grocery store. And I don't know how I feed it - I've just gotten my first order of it, and I think it's ground with the spleen... I'll be feeding it like a meat meal, I think. :lol3: I don't know how much spleen is in it. I just realized - I ordered the ground. I meant to order the strips.

This is what I got - and while it arrived Friday, I haven't dethawed it yet. Apparently it has a very powerful odor. :lol3: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=214

This is what I should have ordered: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=47 This one they'd have to chew...

Well, let's see if they'll eat if first. :lol3:

Here's info on green tripe: http://www.truecarnivores.com/nutrition/green-tripe/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie---the Hare Today Tripe is chunky, not finely ground. Has a weird texture, I think it's chewy enough. It's hard to portion. . .doesn't cut or scoop well. You kind of have to pull it apart :barf:. The odor isn't too bad, smells like a stockyard but not very strong. I bought it for the dogs but the cats went wild for it. Hope your kitties like it too!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tripe isn't an organ, it's the stomach lining of a cow. It has a Ca:p ratio of 1:1 and is full of probiotics - and heaps of other stuff. Very packed with nutrition. The spleen is often attached. That's a secreting organ.
Laurie, question: if the ratio is 1:1, when feeding it as a meal, this is a perfectly balanced meat, correct? No need to add any Ca to it? :dk:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not going to. When I try it, I'll let you know how it goes. But... if you couldn't stand kidney smell, you might not want to try this. :lol3: Again, I'll report back. ;)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks LDG.  I'm always looking for different types of organs.

And I know now not to get honecomb tripe.  It was so bad, my ferals wouldn't even touch it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to. When I try it, I'll let you know how it goes. But... if you couldn't stand kidney smell, you might not want to try this. :lol3: Again, I'll report back. ;)
Ok, thanks for the tip - don't feel like risking :barf: all over the place atm :lol3::lol3::lol3:
Let me know how it goes and how bad it really is!