Trapping

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been years since I trapped, but three times now, I've tried to get what I think is a female, and I've been unsuccessful. I may need to watch a video. She ate this morning, and because I've seen her in the afternoons when I come home from work, I thought I'd try trapping then. I'm putting the food at the very back and only pouring a little juice midway back. Last week, I put little bits of food in the front and she ate it and then got out.
I saw another cat here the other night that I had not seen before, so I'm sure it's a male, so I need to get the female asap! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Of the 11 cats inside my house now, 10 of them are from the outside-either strays or kittens born here. No more!!! Lol....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been years since I trapped, but three times now, I've tried to get what I think is a female, and I've been unsuccessful. I may need to watch a video. She ate this morning, and because I've seen her in the afternoons when I come home from work, I thought I'd try trapping then. I'm putting the food at the very back and only pouring a little juice midway back. Last week, I put little bits of food in the front and she ate it and then got out.
I saw another cat here the other night that I had not seen before, so I'm sure it's a male, so I need to get the female asap! Any tips are greatly appreciated. Of the 11 cats inside my house now, 10 of them are from the outside-either strays or kittens born here. No more!!! Lol....
By all means, trap and spay/neuter as many as you can! If they won't go into a humane trap, you could learn about a drop trap. You can try covering the humane trap with a towel or other fabric, preferably something that would blend in to the surrounding area, so it won't be so conspicuous to the cat. Bait the trap with a fragrant food such as tuna or salmon if possible. And oh, yes, videos and other tutorials would be recommended. You can also look right here on TCS for advice on trapping. Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release) – TheCatSite Articles

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave the trap outside for a few days, closed. Just so she gets used to it. Then put it in a cardboard box, with a strip of cardboard on the bottom (cats don't like to step on wires, but they love cardboard). Tie it open so it can't close no matter what happens and start putting her food in it, near the front at first, slowly moving it back. After she trusts it, it should be super easy to catch her once you set it to trap mode.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!
You're very welcome, A alana0011 . There are MANY sources of good info on trapping. In TCS' "CAT ARTICLES" you can peruse the different topics, many of which contain information on trapping related to feral cats. Also, feline behavior expert and "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy has a lot of excellent YouTube videos, several books, and his hit series, "MY CAT FROM HELL" which may be helpful. Alleycat.org is another indispensable source of info -- it's the global database for all things "cat" with an emphasis on feral/free-roaming cats. They have lots of links you can look at. And bestfriends.org, Best Friends Animal Society's website, is another source of excellent help with links relating to feral/free-roaming cats.