Need advice on taking my cat abroad or not

Julieta5672

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I'm going to be away on exchange for 5 months and I can't figure out if it's worth it to bring my cat. I can bring him and he's really clingy so that would definitely be better for him but at the same time I have to worry about stressing him with a move and a long flight twice in a short amount of time, plus finding a vet while I'm there. If I leave him here though, will he be more stressed if he's really attached to me? He gets along really well with my mom but I don't know if being away from me for so long would just be more stressful. Like he screams at me if I'm gone just all day or for a weekend. This may seem like not such a big deal but I'm really struggling trying to decide what is best so if anyone has any information regarding what might be more comfortable for him please let me know!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think a vet would be necessary in 5 months, most cats only need yearly visits. Yes it would be very stressfull for him, moves are. I,myself,would leave him with your mother. At least he would have someone around most of the time. i would start writing down instructions now for her so you won't be rushed.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another vote for leaving him. 5 months is hardly any time in the scheme of things. Some countries make you quarantine for a period. Also, for a short 5 months, it will probably be better for you to be fully present in the experience. Be out with new friends, seeing a different part of the world. I lived abroad for a short time and it was a valuable experience. Wouldn't have been the same if I were in my apartment the whole time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I literally just spoke to our daughter who lives abroad about an hour ago. She was telling me about a neighbor back in the states who will be doing an internship abroad in the fall and wants to bring her cat. Our daughter told me many of the rules and regulations have changed since she brought her dog abroad almost four years ago. She told the neighbor the rules have become much stricter and, therefore, make it difficult to bring an animal with you now. Talk to your vet since some of the requirements are very stringent. You're lucky you have the option to leave your cat with your mom especially since you mentioned he gets along really well with her.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another hand raised for keeping him w/ moms. Takes a cat a long time to get used to a new situation. I have read quite a few threads on here of cats bolting on vacation (not to scare you). But I think the stability of familiarity will be more reassuring for him, and for you thinking of him.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would keep him with your mom. 5 months is not even a half year.
For a more permanent move, I would suggest taking him but not for something so short.

You'd likely have to put him through 2 quarantines because of going and then coming home. And you may need a vet abroad to provide a note clearing him to come home.

JAL57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not trust the airlines with my cat. There have been cases of cats escaping onto the tarmac at airports, where they can easily be killed or lost forever. And if you lose your cat in a foreign country, it’s a whole different kettle of fish from losing him in your home neighborhood. As others said, you are fortunate that your mom is available to cat sit. Please take advantage of it. Your cat will be fine with your mom. Your cat will not be fine if lost on your travels.