Trapping is set

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dictionary says....

Neutering a cat – castration in the male (removal of the testes), and spaying the female (removal of the ovaries and uterus) – not only prevents unwanted pregnancies occurring, but also curbs unwanted behavioural patterns associated with sexual maturity and reduces the risk of certain diseases.

Dctionary says it also curbs unwanted behavioral patterns. I think this applies to your discussion.

you have a point but if I raise that stray cat since kitten, he would not be gritting teeth or become so aggressive at me cuz he is trained in home environment fo so long. Domestic. But this stray cat is different; not raised by anyone. Disowned since kitten, he has to survive by himself for looking for food and shelter particularly in cold winter. It causes unwanted behavioral patterns more noticeable than house pets. If stray cat is provided with training now by professionals, I think the cat would overcome unwanted behavioral patterns and would not grit his teeth if I come close to him. It has lots to do with his feral environment than his unwanted behavioral patterns.I think he is at least 7 yrs old.

I say hard to believe cuz training would not be helpful until neutered. I believe the primary reason for neuter surgery is not to give more babies although it can help curb other kinds of problems.

Good news. I called the neuter/spay clinic this afternoon. The operator said someone will be talking to me tomorrow.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dictionary says....

Neutering a cat – castration in the male (removal of the testes), and spaying the female (removal of the ovaries and uterus) – not only prevents unwanted pregnancies occurring, but also curbs unwanted behavioural patterns associated with sexual maturity and reduces the risk of certain diseases.

Dctionary says it also curbs unwanted behavioral patterns. I think this applies to your discussion.

you have a point but if I raise that stray cat since kitten, he would not be gritting teeth or become so aggressive at me cuz he is trained in home environment fo so long. Domestic. But this stray cat is different; not raised by anyone. Disowned since kitten, he has to survive by himself for looking for food and shelter particularly in cold winter. It causes unwanted behavioral patterns more noticeable than house pets. If stray cat is provided with training now by professionals, I think the cat would overcome unwanted behavioral patterns and would not grit his teeth if I come close to him. It has lots to do with his feral environment than his unwanted behavioral patterns.I think he is at least 7 yrs old.

I say hard to believe cuz training would not be helpful until neutered. I believe the primary reason for neuter surgery is not to give more babies although it can help curb other kinds of problems.

Good news. I called the neuter/spay clinic this afternoon. The operator said someone will be talking to me tomorrow.
The issue is that he has hormones that are controlling his behavior more than any training or socialization could. You are correct that it also has to do with population control, but it's a huge strain on his temperament.

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for the call from clinic today. I am anxious to go there cuz the kitchen is smelly. Although less with Nature's Miracle. The cool fans are on.
When ready, I hope I have no trouble trapping him again.

Thank you again, Talking Peanuts.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for the call from clinic today. I am anxious to go there cuz the kitchen is smelly. Although less with Nature's Miracle. The cool fans are on.
When ready, I hope I have no trouble trapping him again.

Thank you again, Talking Peanuts.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

The clinic said there is no need appointments for feral cats. Just walkin between 8 15 am to 5 Mon through Thurs. No Fridays.

Since I have to trap him again, I released him yesterday. He came back for food anyway this morning. He remembered me. Sometimes this week maybe Tuesday I will set up trap again.

The clinic explained that there is no need to worry about ferals about shelter and maybe food in winter. They can keep warm in cold climate. Their body can regulate heat easily. They said I can provide him home in garage if I want. There is no need to become house pet. I can have him neutered for 50 dollars and remained ferat with one ear clipped indicating to the public he is neutered. Then he can live outside or in my garage. If I want him to be domestic, the charge would be 90.00 dollars. Then I can have him as house pet.

I think I will let him remain as feral. He can use my garage after neutered. So I know he has shelter and food. They said I have to bring certificate of rabies for proof although charge for neuter surgery includes rabies remains the same; 50 bucks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

The clinic said there is no need appointments for feral cats. Just walkin between 8 15 am to 5 Mon through Thurs. No Fridays.

Since I have to trap him again, I released him yesterday. He came back for food anyway this morning. He remembered me. Sometimes this week maybe Tuesday I will set up trap again.

The clinic explained that there is no need to worry about ferals about shelter and maybe food in winter. They can keep warm in cold climate. Their body can regulate heat easily. They said I can provide him home in garage if I want. There is no need to become house pet. I can have him neutered for 50 dollars and remained ferat with one ear clipped indicating to the public he is neutered. Then he can live outside or in my garage. If I want him to be domestic, the charge would be 90.00 dollars. Then I can have him as house pet.

I think I will let him remain as feral. He can use my garage after neutered. So I know he has shelter and food. They said I have to bring certificate of rabies for proof although charge for neuter surgery includes rabies remains the same; 50 bucks.
This is all great news. Why did you release him, though?

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With information from the clinic, I am no longer on pins and needles; He
He preferred to be outside leaning against screen window for hours. Another reason, kitchen smelly.

I think Its safer to trap him outside than kitchen. He won't urinate anymore.
Thanks you for the leads to the clinic. If I had not visited this site, I will never know about it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing to realize is that once a cat has been trapped it can be difficult to retrap. So you may need patience.

It is fine for him to live outside as long as he has food, water and shelter from the rain,snow and cold. A garage is a great idea if he will use it. If not can you make very inexpensive shelters and place them close by.

Thank you for caring for him and getting him neutered. He will have a much better quality of life thanks to you!!

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is fine for him to live outside as long as he has food, water and shelter from the rain,snow and cold. A garage is a great idea if he will use it. If not can you make very inexpensive shelters and place them close by.
I thought the same thing about inexpensive shelter near or attached to garage. Petsmart has some in stock. I may try at Petco. I saw some YouTube videos. It has some videos with heater! Sophisticated!
I will keep in mind what is good for him.
Anyway, the yellow brown cat came back for diner! He eats well. He does not drink water, but I always leave some for him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of easy to make shelters or more sophisticated ones you can purchase.  I have made all kinds.  Here is a link to some different types of shelters.

https://feralcattails.wordpress.com/tips-and-techniques/shelters/

I would start with something simple to begin with so that you are certain he will use it.  If he does you can then move on to something some elaborate.  I started with just a simple rubbermaid container stuffed with straw.  My feral did not like the straw so I moved to a heat pad in the bottom.  I then lined the sides with insulation.  I now have 3 ferals and 2 heated houses.  Yet I have had the cats for many years and many winters.  It is all trial and error.

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ShadowsRescue,

This link is important. I just started reading. Now I see that a shelter needs two holes. one for entrance and one for escape (exit). Good planning.
Thank for the tip.

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update news. I did not forget you.

Stray is at now Hillside clinic for neuter surgery. He will sleep overnite for 5 more bucks. I am going to pick him up tomorrow between 10 to 5.

The staff are wonderful!
He is more relaxed when I found him in trap early this morning. It appears the trap took action at midnight. He look assured knowing he is being taken care of.
He gives me a big grin. I am exaggerating.

This morning I brought him in trap to the clinic finding all other dogs and cats in cages with slip cover. I forgot to cover him, but he seems happy.
Unbelievable so many dogs are for the surgery at 7 30. So are the cats, but they are scheduled at 8 15. Dogs appear to have priority over cats.
Unbelievable so so many in cages waiting for 7 30 and 8 15 am entrance just for neuter/spay surgery. I came too early, but I waited until 8:15 for cats.

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will see. I may him for the first time.
Thank, Online.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such good news!!  It is wonderful how much you have done for this kitty.  THank you thank you thank you.

The clinic you described sounds like one I go to.  It's so full of animals and people.  I have often left my cats in their traps in my car until they call for me. 

I hope all went well.  Keep us updated!!

strayalan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is not kitty. I think 7 to 8 years old. I forgot to ask them for age estimation.

I just brought him back home.Then I opened the trap, he persistently stayed in. So I put strings to keep trap permanently open. After a few minutes, I came to check him.
He is gone! He is now having a good time. He will come back for food. Definitely.

If you happen to live in northern New Jersey, or New Jersey, the clinic is great. Dogs standing outside the clinic waiting for their turns. Cats, too. Looks like they are in bread line. So many of them. Unbelievable. One disadvantage...parking..Reasonable size parking lot, but there are nearly occupied in early mornings. Maybe ten or after, it will not be so bad.

If you are not from New Jersey, the trip to the clinic is still worthwhile.

Alan