Transitioning Indoor Cat To Outdoors Full-time? Any Advice Or Success Stories?

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 year old cat (Lillie) that will not litter box train. She is spayed and does not have health problems and we have tried a variety of boxes, litters, and locations. I have also tried isolating her in a room by herself to retrain, and it does not work. Even in her own space with a litterbox all to herself she will not use it. We have a baby who will be crawling very soon and we cannot have a cat pooping all over the house anymore. That said, I have been trying to find someone who might be interested in her, but have had no luck due to her issues. I would rather try her as an outside cat before we relinquish her to a shelter. At this point I have exhausted all options as far as keeping her inside and am not able to try anything further on that so it's either outside or the humane society unfortunately.

I would like some advice however on the best way to transition her to life outside to see if that would be an option! She can't keep living in the upstairs bedroom so a very slow transition isn't an option, but I want to make sure she's as comfortable as possible especially since it's the middle of winter.

We currently have an elderly outdoor cat named Murphy. He's a stray who showed up a few years ago. He lived inside about 2 years and absolutely hated it. Finally we gave in and set him up outside with a really nice insulated, shingled, dog house with a heat lamp and he is so much happier! I'm thinking I would do a similar set up for her but perhaps a slightly smaller house since she's a smaller cat. That way they have the option to combine and go in one house if they want, but still have their own space if they'd prefer.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had her and how long has this been going on?

It would also help if you provided members here a list of the things that you have tried in terms of litter changes, in case they have more/different suggestions for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had her and how long has this been going on?

It would also help if you provided members here a list of the things that you have tried in terms of litter changes, in case they have more/different suggestions for you.
To be frank, I really don't have the option to try anything else on that so advice on that wouldn't be as helpful at this point. My husband wants her gone as of yesterday. Understandably so, as she's been doing this pretty much her entire life. At this point it is either outside or the humane society. We've had her since the day she was born and she has never used the litter box well though it has gotten worse as she's gotten older. I also have her mother and sister and both of them use the litterbox well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would ask of you to call around (no-kill shelters, rescue centers, vets, SPCA) and find out if there are any foster homes that might be willing to take her in and work with her before you decided to put her outside.

If someone can take the time to work with her, she may be able to be adopted by another family and not have to face trying to live as an outdoor kitty only.

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask of you to call around (no-kill shelters, rescue centers, vets, SPCA) and find out if there are any foster homes that might be willing to take her in and work with her before you decided to put her outside.

If someone can take the time to work with her, she may be able to be adopted by another family and not have to face trying to live as an outdoor kitty only.
That was my hope too. I think she might do better in a home as an only cat or with someone who has more experience with behavioral issues. Unfortunately I live in a really small town and there really aren't a lot of organizations available. We don't have any local shelters other than the humane society so I reached out to a Cat Rescue that is ran out of someone's home but they have not gotten back to me. I also reached out to local vet clinics to see if they knew anyone who might be interested but no luck on that either. I also posted on Facebook on our closest "city" pets group and no luck there either other than directing me to that same cat rescue. I'd rather her be outside in a warm cat house than at the humane society where she'll get put down.

I live in SE South Dakota so I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to take her somewhere too but I can't afford a place that will charge a ton of money to take her either.

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found one place that will take cats like her but it's like 6+ hours away and a $200 cost up front and $45/month to live there the rest of her life.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry you, and your cat, are in this situation. Has she ever been outside? Or has she always been indoor only.

If she's never been outside, I'd be extremely concerned that she would not have her "street smarts", and could find herself quickly in danger.

Does she ever use the litter box?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing it is one of these?

Heart and Soul Kitty Sanctuary (Shelter #1126494)
Hutchinson County 906 w Glynn dr , Parkston, SD 57366

Mitchell Animal Rescue (Shelter #1124660)
Davison County Mitchell, SD 57301

Also, on the South Dakota Cat Rescue web site (South Dakota Cat Rescue Groups) there is link called Find A Home for Animal" where you can fill out a form and submit it. I can't access what all the information is that you can include, but perhaps it would lead you down a path of additional contacts??

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry you, and your cat, are in this situation. Has she ever been outside? Or has she always been indoor only.

If she's never been outside, I'd be extremely concerned that she would not have her "street smarts", and could find herself quickly in danger.

Does she ever use the litter box?
Not other than for a few minutes here or there where we've been outside with her. She doesn't seem to like it very much truthfully.

She pees in the litterbox sometimes, but never poops in it. She poops in hidden places all over the house. (Closets, under furniture that's tall enough she can get under, corners of the basement). She's a really anxious cat (used to overgroom herself bald in places) so I don't know if she feels intimidated by the other cats or what. Our other two cat's are her mom and sister so you wouldn't think so. But even in a room on her own with her own box she still refuses to poop in it though she does pee in it.

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also, on the South Dakota Cat Rescue web site (South Dakota Cat Rescue Groups) there is link called Find A Home for Animal" where you can fill out a form and submit it. I can't access what all the information is that you can include, but perhaps it would lead you down a path of additional contacts??
Thank you! I had heard of Mitchell Animal Rescue but thought it was a pro-kill shelter. I'll definitely look into it. I haven't heard of the one in Parkston and that's not too far so I'll contact them right away. Thanks again!

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The one I had already contacted was All Cats Rescue in Sioux Falls.

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you by any chance give her two litterboxes - one for pee and one for poop. There are a lot of cats that just don't like to use the same one for both.
I didn't when I put her in her own room but when we had all 4 cats in the house (before our outdoor cat moved outside again) I had 6 boxes throughout all 3 levels of the house so there was plenty of options? Right now she's just temporarily living in the spare room until we can figure out what to do with her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had heard of Mitchell Animal Rescue but thought it was a pro-kill shelter.
This is the statement made on the contact list. I didn't deem it to be pro-kill...
We are a foster based rescue and we do not have a faciIity of our own. Our primary goaI is to rescue aII adoptabIe pets from the city pound and if we have room, we assist other rescues as weII.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another possibility??

Purr n Ruff Rescue
(Shelter #1150004)
Davison County Mitchell , SD 57301
GaiI Hahne
PURR 'N RUFF RESCUE
OUR MISSION // to reunite the animal back to the family, and find forever homes for the unwanted and homeless animals, and to be able to offer pet owners other resources and options in dealing with their difficult pet other than abandoning or surrendering them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, most of the rescues around here will place pee cats on a farm, and that doesn't really work out well for housecats, even if the farm owners really care about the cats; housecats just don't have that survival instinct. It would be better for her to be an outdoor cat in her own neighborhood.

But you can't just chuck her outside either, especially in the winter. Can she be in the garage for a while? Can you build an enclosure, just some 2 x 4s and chicken wire? She needs to have a way to gradually adapt to outdoor living. She needs at least a month for a transition period.

One thing---have you ever tried letting her be indoor/outdoor? One of my mom's cats will pee in the house if she's kept inside, but if she's allowed out she'll pee outside and then behave herself when she does come in.

Sunshine32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly, most of the rescues around here will place pee cats on a farm, and that doesn't really work out well for housecats, even if the farm owners really care about the cats; housecats just don't have that survival instinct. It would be better for her to be an outdoor cat in her own neighborhood.

But you can't just chuck her outside either, especially in the winter. Can she be in the garage for a while? Can you build an enclosure, just some 2 x 4s and chicken wire? She needs to have a way to gradually adapt to outdoor living. She needs at least a month for a transition period.

One thing---have you ever tried letting her be indoor/outdoor? One of my mom's cats will pee in the house if she's kept inside, but if she's allowed out she'll pee outside and then behave herself when she does come in.
That's usually what rescues around here do too I think. I've been debating on that because at least here she'll be outside with another cat she knows and in our yard which she's familiar with.

If she does go outside she would have an insulated, shingled house with a heat lamp and a bed. Honestly that's probably warmer than the garage. Our other outdoor cat has a similar set up and I've stuck my top half in his house and it's pretty nice in there. We don't have to have a heated water dish or anything because it stays plenty warm in his house that his water doesn't freeze or anything.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Right now she's just temporarily living in the spare room until we can figure out what to do with her.
While she's temporarily in the spare room, why don't you try putting a second litter box for her, and see if possibly it helps. You could even buy Litter Attract litter, which might encourage her to use it.

Also, maybe get a blacklight and check for any spots where she's peed in the room, and then spray the spots with an enzyme cleaner. That is the only way to ensure you've removed the urine scent.

Has she ever had a problem with constipation? Sometimes that causes pooping outside the litter box.

I know she can't stay isolated much longer, but if you could solve her litter box problem, she might either be able to stay inside, or at least would be easier to adopt out to someone else.

Just a few things to consider.

Did the vet ever suggest anything for her anxiety? Even something like Feliway? Or a calming collar or treats?