Toy Ideas

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My kittens are almost 10 months old and I am looking for new/different toy ideas for them.
They love ping pong balls, shoelaces, toy mice. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of anything a bit different that my cats would like?
Thanks [emoji]128522[/emoji]

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
For two toys that need your participation, check out a laser pointer and a wand toy, like DaBird.

Laser Pointer:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/...t-with-red-laser-water-resistant/reviews/5577  Many other laser pointers are available.

DaBird:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/da-bird-cat-toy  Lots of wand toys are available but most cats can't resist DaBird

For toys that they can play with without you, check out  a toy where a ball runs around in a track.  There are many available, below is the one that my cats like the most.

Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/turbo-scratcher-cat-toy   

Other toys where you just need to turn it on include the Loco Motion Cat Toy which randomly rotates a feather around on a short wand and turns itself off:

Loco Motion Cat Toy  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/smartykat-loco-motion-cat-toy-automated-activity-toy/reviews/5705

Then there are toys like the Moody Pet Fling Ama String Toy that need you to turn it on and off:

Moody Pet Fling Toy:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/moody-pet-fling-ama-string/reviews

My cats love all of the above but if you check out the review section, you'll find lots of other toy ideas. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/products/category/toys-treats

Have fun shopping!  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Margd this is really helpful [emoji]128522[/emoji]

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat, Neely, in my avatar liked our dog's toys better than her own.
  So I used to shop in the dog aisle of the pet store.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
-wiffle ball golf balls ( similar to ping pong, but they may enjoy the minor change)

-hexbugs ( but ONLY if your cat doesn't swallow inanimate objects and you are able to observe)

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do look in the dog sections of pet stores funny enough. I got them a dog toy (soft dinosaur) for them to wrestle with, they love it [emoji]128522[/emoji] and it saves my poor hands from getting scratched

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sargon, I'll look into Hexbugs and thanks for the warning. I always have to be careful what I leave my two with because they do try to eat anything

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my kitten I found that an unused laundery basket (the plastic round type) is a cheap entertainment toy for her.

I tie bell balls around two of the corners so when the basket rolls around they move and tinkle which excites her. I've also put some soft toys inside the basket and lay it down on its side - my kitten would jump inside, attack the toy then run out and repeat. Sometimes I take out the toys and she will just roll around in the basket or swat at the balls. Super cheap DIY.

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea mishventurer! I need to think of creative ways to use whats around the house [emoji]128522[/emoji]

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Toys my cats like:

Wand toys, particularly the DaBird, which is their favourite, but we have a few other ones too that are smaller and less likely for a child to take the lights out with them when they play with the cats. I have to keep them in a cupboard that I installed a lock on, because if I didn't keep it locked, they would find a way to open the door and play with it.

Treat dispensing ball. I got this recently, for Socks' 4th birthday, put some cat treats or dry food in it, they will have fun batting it round trying to get it out.

If they like balls, they might like different textured ones-I have plastic ones with bells in that they like, and ones made out of a crinkly material, big ones, small ones.

They have a tunnel, they especially liked that as kittens.

Amber likes the laser pointer, the other three aren't too bothered with it once they realise they cant catch it.

They have one of those track toys, with the balls inside. They've not touched it yet, but they've only had it a day.

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks BananaQueen, mine love the tunnel too, they often stalk eachother from the tunnel.
I will look at treat dispensing balls, how are yours finding the track toy?
Wiley loves the laser pen but I stopped using it because I read somewhere laser pens can frustrate cats as they cant catch the red dot so never feel satisfied and I noticed with Wiley he would keep meowing at it so I didnt want to frustrate him.
As they are indoor cats at the moment I always want to make sure I have different toys to keep them entertained so thank you everyone [emoji]128522[/emoji]

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks BananaQueen, mine love the tunnel too, they often stalk eachother from the tunnel.
I will look at treat dispensing balls, how are yours finding the track toy?
Wiley loves the laser pen but I stopped using it because I read somewhere laser pens can frustrate cats as they cant catch the red dot so never feel satisfied and I noticed with Wiley he would keep meowing at it so I didnt want to frustrate him.
As they are indoor cats at the moment I always want to make sure I have different toys to keep them entertained so thank you everyone [emoji]128522[/emoji]
There are ways to minimize, even eliminate, that frustration with the laser pen.   Put several toys out on the floor and periodically stop the red dot on one of them.  When it's time to end the game, stop the red dot on one of the toys and follow up with a few treats.  This has worked quite well with Paul and Chula who never seem frustrated at all - after the treat, they just go about their business.  Every cat is different, of course, and you know your Wiley best, but I did just want to mention this in case you want to give it another try.  

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Margd, I am learning with my two, I have only had them for 6 months so every little bit of advice helps me [emoji]128522[/emoji] one thing I know for sure is they are very happy boys so I am lucky, I just want to continue bringing them up as happy as possible and keep introducing new games for them

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Margd, I am learning with my two, I have only had them for 6 months so every little bit of advice helps me [emoji]128522[/emoji] one thing I know for sure is they are very happy boys so I am lucky, I just want to continue bringing them up as happy as possible and keep introducing new games for them
You are not the only lucky one in this trio!  One reason they are so happy is because of you, so consider them lucky as well.  Not every cat gets a human who is so considerate of their needs.  

wileyandsimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh thank you Margd, they know they have me wrapped around their little paws