Tougher Sentencing for Crimes Against Animals

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was in yesterday's local paper. Theres a bill on the books to change Florida's penaltys for animal abuse! Its still not as tough as I would like, but its a start!
House Bill 43 would change the sentence to a minimum six-month jail sentence and a $4,000.00 fine. Right now there is NO minimum jail time and the fine is $2500.00.
The second offense would receive a minimum of 10 months in jail and change the fine from $5000.00 to $6,000.00 http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...40/-1/archives
Now would be a good time to write those letters. A sample letter can be found at www.animal-justice.org

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link Renee!

Here's the letter I wrote to the Committee Chair. I hope everyone else will write too.

The Honorable Ralph Poppell
400 South ST
Suite 1C
Titusville, FL 32780

Honorable Ralph Poppell:

I understand you have reservations about HB 43 because people have different definitions of the word cruelty. You also have reservations because you don't want people who commit unintentional acts of cruelty to serve the sentence HB 43 proposes.

I believe the intent of the HB 43 is to ensure that anyone who commits acts such as the following should not go unpunished or only pay a small fine. These are actual cases.

* A cat is doused with gasoline and set on fire
* A puppy is hanged from a tree and eviscerated
* A six week old kitten is kicked until his back legs are shattered
* A burglar preheats the victim's oven and roasts her dog to death
* A sexual deviant sodomizes a dog

These kinds of cases are quite prevalent and the perpetrators seldom do time in jail. These are the kinds of cases that require HB 43 to be passed. No one could deny that these acts are cruel. There is no question that these sadistic, violent crimes are intentional.

People who commit acts like those described above are a danger to society. This issue is not just about animal welfare. People who intentionally abuse animals are 5 times more likely to commit violent crimes against people. Please reconsider your position on HB 43. We need stronger laws against animal cruelty to deter future cases of murder, rape, serial killing, child abuse and child molestation.

Respectfully,

Barbara Woodcox, President
Coalition for Animal Justice

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thought you all might be interested in an update on the case of the two kittens that were tortured and killed here. Thanks to Barbara's letter, along with pressure from our coordinator and people in the neighborhood, the SPCA is taking this seriously. I learned this morning that an investigator from the SPCA has been in the neighborhood again asking questions. The mother of the 12-year-old suspect, who initially denied she had any children, has now admitted to it. The problem the investigator is running into now is that a couple of the little girls who witnessed this are now afraid to talk fearing repercussions from the suspect. Fortunately, the daughter of the woman who stepped in to save the other kittens is willing to testify, so we should be able to still make a case. Will keep you posted as I learn more.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just received word the SPCA investigator has determined that there's enough evidence in the kittens' case to refer it to the prosecutor's office. They'll now have to decide how to proceed since the suspect is a juvenile. Please send good vibes and prayers that the prosecutor sees this through. These kittens deserve justice!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Sheba's case the prosecutor's office decides whether or not the case is valid-lucky for me the ADA who handled her case is on the board of director's for the local animal shelter. It still could be several weeks before a decision is made.
Hoping for the best!!!!!!