Tougher Sentencing for Crimes Against Animals

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

That's great, Amy!

I was wondering if the animals pictured on the home page are ones that have been abused. If not, maybe we can post some that are and tell the animals' stories. This could really move people.
That's a great idea, too! Alot of us here have helped animals that have been abused or abandoned.

I've been thinking alot about the kids' page..can anyone compile a good list about some cool, interesting facts about animals?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to tell you guys, one of the other places I feel really needs amending is that pets/animals are only considered "property". While no amount of money could bring a lost family member back, there is absolutely NO recourse besides the criminal law, which is so often pushed aside because of lack of jail space. So far, all attempts to change the legal wording to from "owner" to "guardian", thereby making a pet worth more than the "replacement cost" of an object, have been shot down. I know they tried in California, and in Colorado. The most vocal in the objections? VETS!
They are afraid of lawsuits...

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The most vocal in the objections? VETS!
OMG..... what did they become vets for in the first place... Talk about loosing prospective to the all mighty dollar.....awful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I have to tell you guys, one of the other places I feel really needs amending is that pets/animals are only considered "property". While no amount of money could bring a lost family member back, there is absolutely NO recourse besides the criminal law, which is so often pushed aside because of lack of jail space. So far, all attempts to change the legal wording to from "owner" to "guardian", thereby making a pet worth more than the "replacement cost" of an object, have been shot down. I know they tried in California, and in Colorado. The most vocal in the objections? VETS!
Good point, Heidi! I'm going to incorporate that as one of our goals. I don't understand how living, breathing and feeling creatures can be regarded as "property".

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nebula11

It just came over the news, that a couple of punk kids shot a kit with a bb gun. The bb entered through the kits ribs and punctured both lungs...

The owner of the cat rushed her to Angel Memorial, but the poor kit still passed away......

The women was obviously broken and distraught, she sobbed during the interview, and the kits sister has not left her passed siblings cat bed since it happened......

These wastes of human life were arrested, but they face only a possible 1 year in prison and a 1000$ fine....disgusting

I understand that some people out there feel that animals deserve less rights then humans....(which i dont agree with) but what about justice for the pain caused, a pain that this poor women and her remaining kit feel, a pain that will not easily go away.

I started to cry when i read this, and spoke out of anger...i said to john "If they shot one of my kits, id blow there heads off, let there mothers miss her children as much as this women misses hers"

I know thats harsh, and i would never take justice into my own hands, but i believe my statement has something to it......

a loss of life is a loss of life.....pain is pain...i feel the judicial system should keep that in mind.
I know what you mean! If someone did that to my kitty and got away with it I would have a lot of trouble resisting the urge to take matters into my own hands. I feel like that when I read about cases of animal cruelty. The judicial system needs to change and it needs to recognize that animals are more than just "property"-- they are living, breathing beings who feel pain and emotions. They deserve justice!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is yet another compelling reason to join the fight for animal justice! Warning: This will make you cry and it will make you very angry.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62783

PLEASE! Everyone reading this! Write letters to your representatives and demand stronger law enforcement and tougher sentencing for those who commit sadistic and violent crimes against animals!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by consumercity

Here is yet another compelling reason to join the fight for animal justice! Warning: This will make you cry and it will make you very angry.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62783

PLEASE! Everyone reading this! Write letters to your representatives and demand stronger law enforcement and tougher sentencing for those who commit sadistic and violent crimes against animals!
I have no words for how terrible this is. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My very first post in IMO and I couldn't be more happy that it's on this thread!!

I am becoming more and more involved in this as well (as you can see in my sig).

I was too anxious to post to read through almost 90 posts (will go back) but this link in my sig is a booklet Peta has available for $1 each (and obviously downloadable in a pdf file). It was specifically made for judges, prosecutors, law enforcement, etc. This is extremely difficult to read but so aren't all the stories we read in the news or hear on the tv and radio.

I am looking forward to reading through all the posts.

Teshia

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news! I sent out the press release for our new group to TV stations and newspapers in the area and have already heard back from one reporter who's intererested in pursuing a story about animal abuse. I knew she was animal lover because of previous stories she's done. Anyway, she's going to talk to her executive producer about the best way to pursue the story and get back with me next week. Please pray that this happens!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is awesome!

Is this pertaining to a story in particular?

I'd love to know how you went about this and the things you mentioned in your letter to make it obviously effective.

If it's in your previous posts, then just let me know. I've been so busy w/ a rescue group here locally that I have yet to read through all of the posts (only half).

Thank you! Awesome, awesome news!

Good news! I sent out the press release for our new group to TV stations and newspapers in the area and have already heard back from one reporter who's intererested in pursuing a story about animal abuse. I knew she was animal lover because of previous stories she's done. Anyway, she's going to talk to her executive producer about the best way to pursue the story and get back with me next week. Please pray that this happens!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xomycatsxo

That is awesome!

Is this pertaining to a story in particular?

I'd love to know how you went about this and the things you mentioned in your letter to make it obviously effective.

If it's in your previous posts, then just let me know. I've been so busy w/ a rescue group here locally that I have yet to read through all of the posts (only half).

Thank you! Awesome, awesome news!
Basically, all I did was send out the press release we've posted on the
website for the Coalition for Animal Justice (www.animal-justice.org)
It mentions one case of abuse here in Cincinnati that the rescue group I'm involved with has been dealing with. If your interested in sending it out to the newspapers/TV stations in your area you can find contact information listed by state at www.newslink.org.

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thank you so much. I will look at these links when my son takes his nap.

I'm on overload. I'm volunteering 2 days a week to answer the NH Spay Hotline, organizing a HUGE yard sale (if anyone can go to my post in S.O.S about ideas, that would be awesome), finding foster, barn and forever homes, etc. I can't keep up with everything! Oh, not to mention wanting to get very active w/ this topic- so I'm keeping myself very busy.

Oh wait, wait - and again, racing after my 1 1/2 yr old all day.
Hehe.

I wouldn't have it any other way - I just need to organize myself.

Basically, all I did was send out the press release we've posted on the
website for the Coalition for Animal Justice (www.animal-justice.org)
It mentions one case of abuse here in Cincinnati that the rescue group I'm involved with has been dealing with. If your interested in sending it out to the newspapers/TV stations in your area you can find contact information listed by state at www.newslink.org.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Woo-Hoo!!! Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eileen, three big cheers for you!!!
Please keep us posted on any stories that will be done.

Teshia, welcome to IMO! I'll be sending you a pm soon.

Jcat, thanks for the link. I put a link to it in the resource section of our website.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really need to stop watching the news. Last night one of the local channels featured a story about a nine month old puppy found dead hanging from a tree. Claw marks on the trunk showed it tried to escape. I can't imagine what kind of sick, cowardly freak it takes to do something like this.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really need to stop watching the news. Last night one of the local channels featured a story about a nine month old puppy found dead hanging from a tree. Claw marks on the trunk showed it tried to escape. I can't imagine what kind of sick, cowardly freak it takes to do something like this.
Here's a link to the story: http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...71/detail.html

Something MUST be done for more thorough investigations, tougher law enforcement and adequate sentencing for the monsters that commit these terrible crimes!

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Thursday I mailed a letter to the Director of the Cincinnati SPCA asking why there was no progress on the case against a 12 year old boy who is torturing and killing kittens. I also wrote letters to a news reporter and the Chief of police. Guess what! The SPCA director showed up at my office today! He seemed very interested in solving the case but said there were no witnesses. I gave him all the info Eileen gave me (I thought he would already have that info but he didn't). Now there's a good chance that the crimes will be solved.

This is our first major victory!!

Please everybody, start writing letters. It's worth the time. It really will help this cause!

Here's the letter I wrote to the Director of the Cincinnati SPCA. I omitted the name of the suspect in this post for legal reasons.

October 6, 2005

Harold Dates, Director
Cincinnati SPCA
3949 Colerain Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45223

Dear Mr. Dates,

In Walnut Hills, there is a 12 year old boy named [name omitted] who is a suspect in the torture and murder of two 6 week old kittens and the mutilation of another kitten. One kitten was kicked repeatedly until the bones in his back legs were shattered. These cases have been under investigation by the SPCA for well over a month. It appears that no progress has been made despite testimony from numerous witnesses.

I am pleading with you to pursue this and other cases of sadistic cruelty toward animals in a serious and thorough manner. The person who tortured the three kittens is a very dangerous and disturbed individual. A baby or a small child could be his next victim if nothing is done to stop him. Statistics show a strong likelihood that people who commit sadistic acts of cruelty against animals will commit violent crimes. Nearly all serial killers started out by torturing and killing animals.

Respectfully,

Barbara Woodcox, President
Coalition for Animal Justice